Silent Hill 2 PC Controller Crash...

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

reverie87
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 2 PC Controller Crash...

Post by reverie87 »

I just got this new laptop with Windows 7.
This is my favorite game and it sucks that I can't play it with a controller.

It seems like it has a problem with Xbox360 controller emulation or something because someone on Google had a similar problem with no answer.

I'm using a PS3 controller with Motioninjoy, and I couldn't access Options in game when it was plugged in so I went as far as to assign the buttons on another program. The game runs, for about five seconds and then slows down to, pretty much nothing. Then I have a real hard time just getting out of it, closing it you know.

I have an Xbox360 Controller as well but it does the same thing.

Unplugged it works great, but as you know Silent Hill is extremely hard to work with on a keyboard.

I've tried the administrator thing, all the compatibility modes...it's kind of a bizarre problem. Not too many other people have run into this but maybe someone here has solved it?

Thank you so much for taking the time! I'll check back tomorrow.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Re: Silent Hill 2 PC Controller Crash...

Post by KageReneko »

Buy a normal control, I have a PS2 wireless control that I use in my PC with W7 for playing Homecoming and it works perfect... You also can try Xpadder, just map the control buttons with the keyboard keys...
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill 2 PC Controller Crash...

Post by Rayder »

X-Box controllers use X-input (new standard), whereas SH2 wants Direct input (old standard) controllers.

Logitech makes a controller that supports both types of input with a switch so you can retain support for older games while also being to play newer games on a PC. Look at the F310, F510 and F710 models.:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers

I have an older Logitech controller that only supports direct-input and it works flawlessly with SH2.

Also, about the slowdown issue......I believe SH2 is the game that HATES multi core CPUs and you have to set the CPU affinity to 1 core for it to play correctly. Is your laptop dual or quad core by any chance? If so, then setting the CPU affinity should fix the slowdown problem.

Hope that helps you. (if I'm mistaken on anything, someone please correct me)