A PS3 Dilema

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

Progmetty
Just Passing Through

A PS3 Dilema

Post by Progmetty »

I got the PS3 early on when it came out so my HDD's capacity is 40gb which I thought was more than enough for saves and such as I don't store media on the PS3's HDD itself (I use usb flash memories to view media on the the PS3)
Now I just picked up my reserved copy of SH HD collection and I had I'm finally informed that the game cannot start cause there isn't enough HDD space to run it. I had gotten Downpour last week and it worked fine but after the installation I was too tight on space that Mortal Kombat and some other games didn't work anymore. I can't even access the PS Network Store.
Now I know I'm supposed to buy a new bigger capacity HDD, read a long ass tutorial on how to a)Backup and transfer the data to the new HDD. b) The physical how to remove and replace the HDD which I feel is gonna be a process that requires a little bit of delicacy that I don't trust myself with and then put all the data back on the new HDD and I complete unshakable faith that said process won't complete without losses of some sort, be it data or trophies.
Anyone went through this can tell me an easier way to do it?
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: A PS3 Dilema

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I'm pretty sure trophies are connected with your PSN account, so if you bugger up changing the HDD over you won't lose them.

I haven't read anything about changing the HDD over because mine's got enough room for the time being, so I don't know if there's an easier way. All I can suggest is, if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself, to see if there's someone in your area who can do it for you. Computer shops and the such.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

There's not much of an easier way to do it, to my knowledge. It seems really daunting at first, but it's much easier than it initially seems.

I switched from a 40gb to a 120gb back a few years ago, and I had no troubles. Just make sure you get a properly compatible HDD, and that you've got plenty of time for transferring!
Also, be sure that you have access to a thumbdrive with enough room for current firmware versions. I had to install it via thumbdrive, but it all worked fine.
Progmetty
Just Passing Through

Post by Progmetty »

But I have to backup the game data and the saves that are already on there now right? And my PS3 HDD is currently full then I'll need a FAT32 formatted external USB HDD to back up the data first and usb flash drive won't do it cause my biggest flash drive is 16gb and for the back up I need at least 38gb of free space on a FAT32 formatted HDD. And since the new HDD won't have a USB connection then it can't work as my backup drive to transfer to.
Doesn't GameStop or Best Buy do the entire process for a reasonable price?
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I just ran out of room on my PS3, too! I finished Downpour on Monday, and tried to install the HD collection on Tuesday when I came home from work. I suspected it wasn't going to work because my PS3 was telling me I had less than 500 MB of space left.
This isn't the first time I've run out of space (I have a 60GB), and I'm tired of deleting stuff I don't want to delete, so when my husband got home I informed him I needed a bigger hard drive, and quickly. So we went to Best Buy and I bought a 500 GB one ( :twisted: ), and stayed up late last night at my brother-in-law's house as he and my husband tried to do the transfer. They weren't able to get the transfer to work, even though they read instructions about doing it and they tried using a few different things as backup devices. I was going to go into details but there's not much point, since it won't likely help you and it confuses me anyway. They have a new idea to try this evening, so I hope it works.
Soulless-Shadow wrote:I'm pretty sure trophies are connected with your PSN account, so if you bugger up changing the HDD over you won't lose them.
Awesome- I was wondering that!
Progmetty wrote:Doesn't GameStop or Best Buy do the entire process for a reasonable price?
Hmm, I should find out about that in case we can't do mine at home.