Silent Hill 2 remake has reached the late stage of production

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Silent Hill 2 remake has reached the late stage of production

Post by Droo »

I loved seeing the Nurse vault over the barrier at James. I think the combat will be really different.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

leftshoe18 wrote: 31 Jan 2024 No release date, but the combat looks a lot better than what we got in the original. I'm super pumped for The Short Message, too. Anybody know when that's supposed to go live?
Should be any minute now, if they said it was going live after the broadcast.
CaLviN_BR
Just Passing Through

Post by CaLviN_BR »

It seems to be available now.
There was a signature here. It is gone now.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Downloading it now! I have to take my son to basketball practice but I'll be playing it tonight!
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

No, no, no. According to the rest of the internet we're not allowed to like that there's better combat. It has to be just a bad as the original or they missed the point of the game and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's been one of the main complaints about the game since it first released decades ago or that there was barely any combat footage in the first trailer. No, clearly they're turning it into a Resident Evil game and it's the worst thing to happen ever. I hate this fanbase.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Tuniko
Just Passing Through

Post by Tuniko »

Ascension

Short message

And this remake of 2?

Seriously… I cannot be more dissapointed. I was wrong when I thought that Konami couldnt do things worse.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

[Deleted by OP]
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Eh the animations look very rough. Graphics look good, but James is too stiff in his movements, plus his neck and shoulders just look off/weird.

Cons: The sound effects from guns are bad. The blood splatter isn't very good. The effects from gunshots/shotgun blasts are poor. The damage detail on enemies is OKish, but could be much better. Having the same debris fall off of enemies after hits/gunshots is lazy. Need to get rid of the "X" on the screen during combat. "You reap what you sow"

Pros: Atmosphere is impressive! I thought they nailed the look and feel of the original while also putting their own touch on things. Again, I think the graphics are good - sure, we can be nitpicky, but I'll leave that to digital foundry. enemies seem to be more aggressive. They seem to be staying pretty faithful to the original with what's been shown thus far.

Hopefully they'll make some changes due to the feedback. If not, it seems like it'll be a pretty solid game overall, but not on the level of like RE4 or RE2 in terms of remakes.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Tuniko wrote: 01 Feb 2024 Ascension

Short message

And this remake of 2?

Seriously… I cannot be more dissapointed. I was wrong when I thought that Konami couldnt do things worse.
Ascension should be buried in the Mariana Trench.

But to say Short Message is bad?? How- it's basically everything we salivated over in PT. Did.... did you actually play it? *Visible confusion*
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The only thing bad about Short Message is the heavy-handed narration. It's a damn solid addition to the Silent Hill catalog.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The trailer could be using old footage as per DuskGolem. Also it seems that a smaller team at Bloober is still working on it.

I expected the 3rd person OTS action. So an action-focused trailer doesn't bother me. But what is presented does...

I don't like the idea of enemies hopping over things, at least, not in the way demonstrated, which looks like a typical TPS Cover Shooter. It'd be more ideal if they fell or stumbled over it while slumbering after you. These enemies are somewhat blind and are attracted to light and sound, they shouldn't actually see things and move like Cogs from Gears of War.

Also a big UGH at the QTE. UI elements should be minimized. You can still have creatures latching on and shaken off, by just having ANY repetitive buttons or stick movement response being able to accomplish that in that specific moment, with the benefit that it adds to the player panic of not knowing what button to hit creating resonance with James' situation!

The graphics are also not in the best shape and a downgrade from the first trailer which either suggests the footage is old, or the first trailer was a target render. The Medium looked better if I recall. When I get the time (been busy this week) I'll take a deeper dive.

But all this doesn't sit well for me.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

jdnation wrote: 04 Feb 2024 The trailer could be using old footage as per DuskGolem. Also it seems that a smaller team at Bloober is still working on it.

I expected the 3rd person OTS action. So an action-focused trailer doesn't bother me. But what is presented does...

I don't like the idea of enemies hopping over things, at least, not in the way demonstrated, which looks like a typical TPS Cover Shooter. It'd be more ideal if they fell or stumbled over it while slumbering after you. These enemies are somewhat blind and are attracted to light and sound, they shouldn't actually see things and move like Cogs from Gears of War.

Also a big UGH at the QTE. UI elements should be minimized. You can still have creatures latching on and shaken off, by just having ANY repetitive buttons or stick movement response being able to accomplish that in that specific moment, with the benefit that it adds to the player panic of not knowing what button to hit creating resonance with James' situation!

The graphics are also not in the best shape and a downgrade from the first trailer which either suggests the footage is old, or the first trailer was a target render. The Medium looked better if I recall. When I get the time (been busy this week) I'll take a deeper dive.

But all this doesn't sit well for me.
I agree with the "X" button and UI points. I also agree that it does seem a little silly that nurses hop over things. I don't mind it, because I do want enemies to be more aggressive, but I understand where it can break immersion if you think too hard on it.

Anyway, the graphics are better than The Medium imo, but I think the remake suffers from the same issues. The medium had impressive graphics for the environment, but the character models weren't that impressive. Characters were also stiff and poorly animated, which is apparent in the remake trailer. It does seem like an early build, and I hope that is indeed the case. My biggest concern besides combat is how the game will perform and if HDR will be implemented well (as medium was poorly optimized on PC).
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

It's an old trailer, and it's even more evident when you compare it to the new clip released and the supposed new VHS scene added to the beginning. Graphically it'll be a looker, I just hope they Iorn out the traditional Bloober jank.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Tuniko
Just Passing Through

Post by Tuniko »

lain of the wired wrote: 04 Feb 2024

Short message

And this remake of 2?

But to say Short Message is bad?? How- it's basically everything we salivated over in PT. Did.... did you actually play it? *Visible confusion*
PT is nothing like short message for me.

Imagine a PT with a voice saying everytime you check something.

Thats short message. Silence is part of the horror sometimes.

PT was creepy, had an atmosphere of horror, we played it and we got connected every second of the game, thinking how and when Lisa will get us. Lol

There is no comparison from both games for me.
Chris Sunderland

Tuniko wrote: 10 Feb 2024
lain of the wired wrote: 04 Feb 2024

Short message

And this remake of 2?

PT is nothing like short message for me.

Imagine a PT with a voice saying everytime you check something.

Thats short message. Silence is part of the horror sometimes.

PT was creepy, had an atmosphere of horror, we played it and we got connected every second of the game, thinking how and when Lisa will get us. Lol

There is no comparison from both games for me.
The Short Message actually has a atmosphere similar to past Silent Hill games. It's more on the quiet tension, haunting melancholy side of things until towards the end. PT is more focused on the confusing psychological horror aspects. It lacks those moments of almost peaceful silence. The calm before aspect I love so much about the series. What is does have is an oppressive, uncomfortable vibe thats great regardless to it's ties to Silent Hill. Probably two of the best free pieces of content I've ever had the luck to play.

In other news..https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/s/amkOc9c7OB

Apparently Bloober's not a fan of Konami marketing the game the way they have. I thought the trailer was fine for showcasing the combat, but I can understand Bloobers frustration for not having the game represented the way they intended in the trailer and I appreciated the way they keep calling out Konami for doing so lol.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Actual combat encounters may be about as much as the original. But the main gripes inherent in the trailer of QTEs and cover vaulting nurses and maybe even dodging enemies (who can't see/hear, and are designed like trapped creatures who should have trouble moving). Wish he'd been specific, but the prior two are most likely there. So he is likely only dismissing the overemphasis on action in the trailer.

Also, UnReal V is still having growing pains, so many devs have issues. Square Enix opted to keep using UnReal 4 with heavy modifications for FF7. So I would say to prepare for diminished results compared to the unveil, though I don't think it looks too bad. The overall art direction is a different category.
Chris Sunderland

I definitely expect the game to loose something in translation, but I'm not against better combat even if it means changing some of what we know or think we know about the monsters. I'm not really hoping for a perfect 1:1 recreation of SH2 but a faithful immersive way to experience it again.

Since they are using U5 I definitely expecting visual artifacts. It's definitely been a thing from the games I've played using it. I'm sure it'll get better with time, but I prefer U4 right now honestly. I kinda wish they went that route considering the overall art direction seems intact. The PlayStation 6 remaster is gonna look amazing though.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The game may release this summer?

"Silent Hill 2 has been rated in South Korea meaning we may be seeing it sooner than later.

Although,
@the_marmolade
tracked the time frames of other Konami releases from rating in South Korea to release.

The date range is 18th April - 23rd May.

My prediction was we'll see Silent Hill 2 Remake once Ascension finishes which I said was the end of May.

Looks like we may be seeing a pattern being to fit"

https://twitter.com/ResiEvilCentral/sta ... 95FUA&s=19

https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/com ... uth_korea/

Mind you, the Short Message received a Korean rating in 2022.
https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-new ... -in-korea/

But that was strategized as a free release, so there was no need to rush it to the market. But it's likely that SH2 Remake will come out closer to its rating as a retail release.

Don't know much about Ascension's schedule, but it might make sense to release the new game after it or it's "season" has wound down.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Ascension is going immediately into a non-canon "What if" run through after it's finished though.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Well the rating being locked in bodes well for an imminent release. Hopefully we see some more news soon.