Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Dec 2014

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Complaint regarding the Moderation Team

Missing since: 01 Nov 2010
Notes left: 135
I made a thread a while back called "Liberalize the Forum?" and I believe that I had some constructive conversation with Vixx in that thread. Her words made me review my opinion of the administration and today's bandwidth runout only hammered in even more my understanding of the administration's need to keep spam down.

But the problem isn't the administration. It's the moderation team.

In my thread, Vixx made clear to me and indirectly to her moderators that there was to be NO unexplained deletion of posts. She gave an order. The moderation team...has defied that order on at EXTREME LEAST three, certainly very many more occasions. I know there are many more because I was the victim of two unexplained deletions and my friend of a third. There's no way we were the only ones affected.

The friend I speak of is "CrimsonIslands", a friend I made on this very forum, ironically in the aftermath of his first warning, my second warning, on an occasion where I was warned for doing nothing more than laughing at an image he posted. "Replying to spam with more spam" is, if I properly recall, the reason for my warning. CrimsonIslands has since left SHH. He left because he could no longer post comfortably. He posted a movie review. It was deleted without explanation.

I have spoken to a number of members, and NONE of them are comfortable with the unbridled manner in which this forum's moderating team operates.

I have spoken with no fewer than five other members, and they have all agreed that things around here need to change. Moderators need to STOP disobeying their head admin. They need to START following her orders and they need to START thinking of how the MEMBERS feel about their actions. This forum is not, and will probably never be, a democracy. But it shouldn't be a dictatorship either. A small group of individuals can not be allowed to run rampant at the expense of everyone else.

Vixx, I beseech you, contain your moderators. They have not listened to your words. You need to back up your words with action. I realize that they are hard-working and that their crackdowns are necessary to try and keep bandwidth consumption below the limit, which is obviously a struggle. My issue is with their seeming determination to take actions without following proper protocol, without asking questions, without investigating. They see, they don't approve, they delete without warning or stated reason. That's how it rolls around here and I'm absolutely sure that's not how it's supposed to roll.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Complaint regarding the Moderation Team

Missing since: 19 May 2011
Notes left: 21
Ever since joining, I was a bit taken back by the harshness. I knew something was wrong. Magnolia PM'ed me with a similar opinion. I agree with him, and know now that something must be done.

Star Trek Online Character Name: Lieutenant Caroline Metrios
Commanding Officer, USS Oklahoma City NCC-97825

Just Passing Through

Thanks for your input, man. It's a shame we had to actually -coordinate- this for fear that if one person did it before others could respond, the mods would gang that person. There is an atmosphere of fear choking SHH members. We can't post without wondering if this or that mod is going to decide that the post doesn't have enough content, or that the post is pointless, or something else, and delete it for no reason and give us warnings.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 04 Apr 2011
Notes left: 34
I haven't had the misfortune of having a bad run in with the moderation....buut....I always hate to see how they walk on everyone. Yeah anyway, we're tired of being walked on. Please do something.

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23449 <---- Look at this and tell me it isn't one-sided.

Just Passing Through

:D

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1792
Last seen at: Los Angeles
I feel this should be something that should have been resolved through PM conversation and by Vixx/the Staff, instead of publicly demonizing the moderators.

If you have had a post deleted or a thread closed without reason, is it wrong to just pm the moderator politely and ask them to explain why they took their course of action so as to avoid any future incidents or explain your side?
I don't think it's necessary to propose any sort of major adjustment to the staff's behavior, as I feel they've done a great job thus far. Sure, there might be a few times where I might consider their actions a little over the top, but nothing I would take concern from.

Also, Kaede, that thread was asking to be closed. There's a difference between meaningful discussion and "wouldn't it be cool if this thing that was made years after the fact was in this game?"

Last edited by Typographenia on 03 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11029
Last seen at: basically hitler
Another forum revolution, bro?

I think you need to ditch Kim and replace him with Che.

Just Passing Through

Quote:
I feel this should be something that should have been resolved through PM conversation and by Vixx/the Staff, instead of publicly demonizing the moderators.

I actually had considered that, but it goes against my principals. If there is a push for change, it needs to come from the members, not from one guy messaging the top admin. This is a public issue. Besides, where would I be able to get your criticism if it wasn't in public? You need two sides to a discussion.

Quote:
If you have had a post deleted or a thread closed without reason, is it wrong to just pm the moderator politely and ask them to explain why they took their course of action so as to avoid any future incidents or explain your side?

I have done this. I get an arrogant response. If you push, they get defensive and sometimes lob strange accusations of malicious intent.

Quote:
I think you need to ditch Kim and replace him with Che.

I HAD CONSIDERED THAT TOO.

Missing since: 08 Feb 2004
Notes left: 1752
May I ask if the five people you spoke to are people that have joined here within the last year or so? The reason I ask is this: We are definitely a different community than most. Yes a bit more strict but when you learn the ins and outs it really is one of the better communities. I honestly feel spoiled by this place because of the fact that our modding team has their shit together. Is it a drag to have posts removed? Of course, but the thing to remember is we're a community that while we like to have fun, we also greatly reduce the spam and general pointless posts that other boards seem to be okay with. I can't tell you how many boards I've been to over the years that make my head want to explode because they allow posts that just consist of "lol" or emotes. We're a serious discussion board, and pointless threads eat up our bandwidth as you already noted.

Just Passing Through

Quote:
May I ask if the five people you spoke to are people that have joined here within the last year or so? The reason I ask is this: We are definitely a different community than most. Yes a bit more strict but when you learn the ins and outs it really is one of the better communities. I honestly feel spoiled by this place because of the fact that our modding team has their shit together. Is it a drag to have posts removed? Of course, but the thing to remember is we're a community that while we like to have fun, we also greatly reduce the spam and general pointless posts that other boards seem to be okay with. I can't tell you how many boards I've been to over the years that make my head want to explode because they allow posts that just consist of "lol" or emotes. We're a serious discussion board, and pointless threads eat up our bandwidth as you already noted.

You and I have directly opposing viewpoints.

The questions actually present their own answer. It used to be that ALL forums operated like this one, but a newer generation of Internet users got tired of it and opted to ditch this system. Thus, liberally moderated communities emerged and, dare I say, have become the norm. People who have been here since the early-mid 2000s will be fine with the system. It's the people who have come in later that see this forum as being something strange, something archaic. We're not used to this kind of system. I personally have bad memories of this system from when I was a 12 year old struggling to follow forum rules that different moderators interpreted differently.

But my priority in this thread is not the system. My priority is the fact that this hierarchical system has in fact been DEFIED by the last people who should defy it. Moderators have shrugged off a direct order from their administrator not to delete threads without proper explanation. They were told to PM people when they delete their threads. They haven't done that. Threads continue to disappear with no explanation.

Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11029
Last seen at: basically hitler
The strictness of a forum tends to depend more on its size than its age. Large, busy forums tend to be more narrowly moderated, by necessity. Small forums can get away with lax rules, because they tend to be more of a club for small groups of people.

In seven years, I've had my fair share of posts, and even threads, deleted or closed. Thing is, I've never really been left to wonder why, even when no explanation was given. Sometimes I do things which stretch the rules, and occasionally, it goes beyond tolerance. I understand that and accept it, it's just how it works. If it's something I honestly think is unfair, I ask about it, and I've always gotten an explanation (and, on a few occasions, a closed thread re-opened). Reading the kinds of posts you make, which sometimes don't even seem to make sense, it should be self-evident why you find posts missing. It should also be self-evident that the way you present yourself affects the way you are treated. Your CHANGE EVERYTHING JUST FOR ME attitude doesn't help.

Just Passing Through

This isn't about me, man. If the mods had a publicly declared "we have Magnolia" club dedicated to making my time here hard, I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't say anything. I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing this because I see something that seems broadly unfair, and because I have talked to people who are frustrated with this. Speaking of which, I see a certain name on the user list (finally). CrimsonIslands, your perspective please.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1594
I haven't really noticed anything bad regarding the moderators here, but then again, I rarely post. However, one needs to consider how much work moderators do. I've been a mod at two forums, and there's an awful lot that goes on behind the scenes. It's not an easy job. I was always trying to find the right balance between enforcing the rules while trying not to ruin anyones enjoyment of the forum. Of course it didn't help that one forum kept changing their rules/what mods could and couldn't do... -_-

Calamity wrote:
I can't tell you how many boards I've been to over the years that make my head want to explode because they allow posts that just consist of "lol" or emotes.

Oh, god, I hate those kinds of posts. >_< There's nothing wrong with using things like "lol" or emoticons, but seriously, at least make the effort of adding more to you post, such as why you like whatever it is you're lol-ing or smiling at.

Frankly though, if one is constantly getting posts deleted/threads locked, then it might be time to reassess your posting habits. I doubt it's all the mods at fault.

Just Passing Through

Quote:
I was always trying to find the right balance between enforcing the rules while trying not to ruin anyones enjoyment of the forum.

THIS is what we need here.

Quote:
Frankly though, if one is constantly getting posts deleted/threads locked, then it might be time to reassess your posting habits. I doubt it's all the mods at fault.

Yeah, but it's a bit hard when you spend 15 minutes typing out something intellectual which is aimed at starting a serious discussion, consistently asking yourself "is this allowed?" only to have it disappear for no reason.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 04 Apr 2011
Notes left: 34
It's funny how fast people came running in here to kiss mod ass. It makes me wonder what their real motives are...

Subway Guard

Magnolia wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but it's a bit hard when you spend 15 minutes typing out something intellectual which is aimed at starting a serious discussion, consistently asking yourself "is this allowed?" only to have it disappear for no reason.

In which case you do what AITT said, and PM a mod asking for a reason. They'll either give you one and you'll learn what to avoid in future, or they'll restore the thread and apologise.

Kaede wrote:
It's funny how fast people came running in here to kiss mod ass. It makes me wonder what their real motives are...

Yeah, that's totally what's going on. :roll: Quick, I need a mod. I'm all puckered up with no butt to kiss. *smoochy-smoochy*

Just Passing Through

Quote:

To their defense, they're just expressing their opinions. When I put forward an idea, I want to hear all of the different perspectives, ESPECIALLY the opposing ones. As I said, this is an issue for all members.

Quote:
In which case you do what AITT said, and PM a mod asking for a reason. They'll either give you one and you'll learn what to avoid in future, or they'll restore the thread and apologise.

I have never had a moderator apologize or even acknowledge me as an equal being. The idea that they do this is news to me.

Missing since: 08 Feb 2004
Notes left: 1752
No motives necessary. AitT and myself have been here for 7 years respectively and Souless-Shadow has modding experience elsewhere. Much like AitT I've towed the line a few times in my years here, gotten away with stuff I probably shouldn't but it's all down to the way one conducts themselves on the internet. Have I started my share of fights here? Oh sure, but I conduct them in a manner that isn't inflammatory, mostly calling people out on their bad attitudes.

Last edited by Calamity on 03 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 Dec 2010
Notes left: 5
I attempted to become a part of the forum community a few months ago because at first glance it appeared to be a good, intelligent community to be a part of, regardless of the fact I wished to be in the same communities Magnolia resided in, as he's a good friend of mine.

My first thread I made, I understood from another persons viewpoint why they would want to delete it, although I had to derive this for myself because there was no real explanation why it happened. I received no personal messages or emails. Sometime after a small period of time that I was inactive (due to personal problems), I attempted to post a movie review to start becoming active here and spent a decent amount of time attempting to create it. Afterwards, I looked in the thread to confirm I made the post and it was there. However, when I checked later on to see if anyone replied to it, my post was gone. I received no personal messages or emails. At this point I decided it was too much effort to become a part of the community because they moderate your posts and you're expected to derive for yourself why you're being punished. Unfortunately, I cannot do that because I am not an omnipotent entity.

I understand the need to reduce to reduce pointless posts and threads, but the definition of what is unintelligible and pointless varies with each person. The only reason I could fathom that my posts would be removed is because someone deemed it pointless, but to have a person essentially call what you deem intelligent conversation pointless and not be able to refute it is aggravating and insulting. Even worse, the reason I cannot refute it is because I do not know who did it. Staying here would allow invisible entities to insult me while I am forced to ponder "why" endlessly.

Subway Guard

Magnolia wrote:
Quote:

I have never had a moderator apologize or even acknowledge me as an equal being. The idea that they do this is news to me.

I can't really speak for this forum, but when I was a mod we were little more than normal members who trawled the dark depths of human depravity; ie we deleted spam and got rid of bots. We interacted with other members like we were regular members ourselves, only we also had to set examples and not spam up the place (except for my second forum. We had spam dedicated threads :D ).

CrimsonIslands wrote:
Even worse, the reason I cannot refute it is because I do not know who did it. Staying here would allow invisible entities to insult me while I am forced to ponder "why" endlessly.

Again, I can't speak for this forum, but "we" had our own rules to follow, which required us to PM people and let them know why and so on (we had templates). However, like already mentioned, if you PM a mod, any mod, you'll eventually get an answer (they all talk about us, you know).