Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2017

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Liberalize the forum?

Missing since: 01 Nov 2010
Notes left: 135
Right, so, I just had a topic deleted without anyone even messaging me to tell me why. I had read the forum rules extensively to find anything it would possibly violate, and it didn't violate anything. A while ago, I was warned for [in my opinion] no reason after responding to a thread with weird artwork in it that the moderators later decided was a troll post.

All of this draws me to the conclusion that this forum really needs to change its style.You know, lighten up a bit. Interaction between people does not need to be this tightly controlled. I can understand deleting a post for being off topic and PMing the member to inform them that it was deleted, but WARNING the member (as was done to SilentWiren) is a bit overkill. I want to be able to post comfortably without constantly having to re-word my post out of fear.

I just want to suggest to the staff, to open a discussion about more flexibility, less intervention, more democracy if possible. I don't expect SHH to become like one of those new-age democratic communities where banning someone requires a member vote, since it's an old community to begin with, but it would be nice if there was less pressure applied to posters.

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Liberalize the forum?

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
â„–1 Good topic. The points you make are reasonable and I respect your sincerity.

â„–2 Who are you to define "weird artwork"?

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
A board with hundreds of members, many of whom have existed comfortably within the rules for many years, should be changed to suit your personal tastes?

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3823
Lately, I have seen more shit just randomly disappear without so much as an explanation... It makes this forum feel more like someone's own personal blog, where they can just edit out anything they don't feel like reading.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
I've had some of my posts deleted, but every post I lost was either irrelevant or responding to a spammer/spam-bot.

We've all seen how serious the mods are about bandwidth, so I guess they're just taking out the trash.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4170
Last seen at: Your Special Place
alone in the town wrote:
A board with hundreds of members, many of whom have existed comfortably within the rules for many years, should be changed to suit your personal tastes?

This.

That said, no-one should have content edited/deleted without an explanation. Hopefully the Moderator concerned will read this and then notify you accordingly. My apologies that this has happened.

Vivisect - There are plenty of things I disagree with on here, but I have never, ever edited content to suit my preferences. To be honest, I'm surprised and a little taken aback by the insinuation.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Just Passing Through

Quote:
That said, no-one should have content edited/deleted without an explanation. Hopefully the Moderator concerned will read this and then notify you accordingly. My apologies that this has happened.

Well, it was a thread about capital punishment and torturing criminals. It was a bit...odd...but not against the rules.

I've also managed to acquire two warnings. One, I deserved. The other was essentially for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's really the combination of both of these things (thread, second warning) and others that led me to feel that the moderating team needs some form of supervision or at least a strict operating policy XD

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3823
Vixx wrote:
Vivisect - There are plenty of things I disagree with on here, but I have never, ever edited content to suit my preferences. To be honest, I'm surprised and a little taken aback by the insinuation.

I'm not referring to you, regarding Magnolia's thread. I'm referring more specifically to the posts that were removed from the Hate thread yesterday/today. There was no explanation at all as to why the posts were removed. No warnings. No nothing. Granted, the posts in question were a bit off topic, and even a little argumentative... but there should have at least been a "Hey, get back on topic", or "Such and such posts were removed for such and such reason".

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Edit: Vivi posted whilst I was typing this, so apologies for any confusion - this is a reply to Magnolia. :)

Magnolia: Feel whatever you may, but I disagree. The mod team here work their asses off to keep this place clean and tidy and asshat-free. Whilst we're always very happy to discuss (and sometimes change/amend/revoke) individual sanctions, we all essentially work to the same agenda. If it's not for you, I understand - we are stricter than most, and I do appreciate that it may not suit all - but as I have no current inclination to change it, you might be happier elsewhere. There are many other fantastic Silent Hill forums that are much lenient than ourselves.

To be brutally frank, this isn't a democracy. This is my forum. I run it as best I can with the people I have and the resources I have. Clamping down on dickheads and trolls and unnecessary flamefests early on make all our lives much, much easier in the long-run.

Vivi: there's no explanation from the mod concerned as to why the Anger thread dramaz was removed, so unfortunately I can't as yet give a response as to what happened. I suspect it was removed to defuse a volatile argument, although I don't know for sure. Hopefully we'll get an idea when the mod concerned helps explain the situation.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
Magnolia wrote:

Well, it was a thread about capital punishment and torturing criminals. It was a bit...odd...but not against the rules.

I was the one that removed your thread. It was pointless. A thread based on nothing more then you own personal politics and views on capitol punishment, is ridiculous, pointless and nothing but a flamewar waiting to happen. We already had 3 pages of Nation Hatin' in the News thread that I had dealt w/ by pointing out our one existing political thread. You want to discuss politics, go there. You want to talk news, go to the news thread but there is no and will never be any torture thread. Whether your original idea was in "good spirits" as you claim or not, it was going to go south, not matter what.

And personally, you seem to want to start a forum-wide revolution and I don't particularly like you all that much. I'll admit it that right to you. I don't really like you, but I'm not going to waste my time and energy to explain every action I take, and that goes for every member of the staff. This is a large forum and we are kind of busy trying to keep it running just as smoothly as always. If you really don't like it, you are more then free to leave.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 Dec 2010
Notes left: 5
Harrys_Girl wrote:
Magnolia wrote:

I was the one that removed your thread. It was pointless. A thread based on nothing more then you own personal politics and views on capitol punishment, is ridiculous, pointless and nothing but a flamewar waiting to happen. We already had 3 pages of Nation Hatin' in the News thread that I had dealt w/ by pointing out our one existing political thread. You want to discuss politics, go there. You want to talk news, go to the news thread but there is no and will never be any torture thread. Whether your original idea was in "good spirits" as you claim or not, it was going to go south, not matter what.

And personally, you seem to want to start a forum-wide revolution and I don't particularly like you all that much. I'll admit it that right to you. I don't really like you, but I'm not going to waste my time and energy to explain every action I take, and that goes for every member of the staff. This is a large forum and we are kind of busy trying to keep it running just as smoothly as always. If you really don't like it, you are more then free to leave.

Why was this not mentioned in a PM to him when the thread was removed to limit confusion?

Just Passing Through

Quote:
I'm not going to waste my time and energy to explain every action I take, and that goes for every member of the staff.

Your administrator JUST said:

Quote:
That said, no-one should have content edited/deleted without an explanation.

Whatever. I'm done with this. Someone just lock this thing.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19399
Last seen at: #lfk
>>I don't particularly like you all that much. I'll admit it that right to you. I don't really like you, but I'm not going to waste my time and energy to explain every action I take, and that goes for every member of the staff.<<
>no-one should have content edited/deleted without an explanation.<
Um. . . . I don't think you get to pick and choose to whom and why you elect not to explain yourself. Picking-and-choosing is preferential treatment, and everyone ought to be the same.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
People ought to be treated the same, sure... if they all acted the same. They don't. Go figure. And I just stated my reasoning. It was a flamewar waiting to happen. I cut it off before it could escalate past the 4 or 5 spam posts that had already begun to rain down on it. Plus it had been reported at least once that I saw and the report had a good reason behind it too. SHITGOINGONBEHINDTHESCENESWUT?!

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Missing since: 27 Aug 2010
Notes left: 2249
Last seen at: The Rabbit Hole
Interesting read.
While this thread still isn't locked, my I ask who locked my Guy Cihi thread?
I can understand how much spam-bait it was now, but if the movie comes out and he actually does get the cameo, somebody will probably just make another thread about it later.

Thank you for understanding. <3

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21367&p=674128#p674128

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Well, they'd probably make another thread whether yours was open or not.

That said, why was it closed?

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
Last seen at: Kentucky
I removed the posts from the hatey thread and I moved them to defuse the tension. Not to mention it was off topic. Sure I could have asked that everyone move on but I felt it better to just move it. I personally will some times ask that things get back on topic and leave the mess but other times I will make a request and then move the posts in question. I meant to make a post but forgot. I apologize.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Locked at the OP's request.

The Mods concerned apologised. Let's move on.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]