Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2017

Post subject: Suggestion for new subforum

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Another forum I sometimes visit has a subforum they call "The Missing Link", in which users post about interesting things they find on the internet, be they Flash games, YouTube videos, and other pages of general interest that don't strictly fall into categories we already have established. I think it might be a good idea to have something like that of our own. It's the sort of thing that we haven't really been able to do because all we've had are catch-all threads for videos and the like, so it's impossible to really get into a good discussion of an interesting video or game.

Considering that most of the content in such a forum would, by necessity, be transitory in nature, it could be cleaned out every so often as is the case with some other forums, if it proves necessary. I'd suggest simply allowing this to happen in Happy Burger, but Happy Burger is one of the busier subforums and it could get messy as a result. Either way, it's a feature I think we're missing, because I've come across some really interesting links on that other forum's Missing Link section.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new subforum

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4170
Last seen at: Your Special Place
Not totally aghast at this suggestion, but am a little concerned it'll turn into a spamfest.

Does it necessitate a forum? Can it not be a thread?

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

The reason I like the idea of a forum better than a single thread is that it's easy for things to get lost in those big, all-encompassing monsters. There may, from time to time, be something deserving a fair bout of discussion, and that tends to get disruptive, as we sometimes find in the happy/sad/news threads when substantial tangents get everybody's attention. Plus, when the threads involve games, there is the potential to compete (or, at least, compare performance), and that would also get messy if contained in a single thread.

Conversely, and somewhat related, would not the entire Town Centre forum work better as just a single "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" thread in a place like Happy Burger? It would make maintenance a lot easier, and really, most of those threads only get a few standard welcoming posts anyway, and mostly from the same people. This is an instance where a whole forum does seem a bit more than necessary, because there's never actual discussion taking place. And, besides, the well of clever Silent Hill-themed welcoming puns ran dry about six years ago. ;D

Maybe we can replace one with the other?

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
I never really look at the Junk Vids/Funny Online Crap thread anymore since it turns into a pretty featureless list of entries that frequently consist of just a link and "This is funny." Perhaps it would work better as a forum. At least when people are starting their own threads, they'll (hopefully) be more inclined to describe what's being shared. Maybe we can stem the spam by restricting the number of threads a member can post there in a day. I think one new thread a day should be sufficient, and if you have several items you can lump them together in one thread or pick which one you most want to discuss and save the others for later.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 29 Oct 2006
Notes left: 1910
Last seen at: Danvers Asylum
I like the idea, and I'd be happy to bitch at members who try and spam it up and ruin it for the rest of us >:(

ImageImageImage Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF]

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 4658
Last seen at: My Slinky! My cuddly little pet Slinky! *sobs*
It sounds a lot like it would be "Junk Vids/Funny Online Crap: The Subforum!" I'm honestly surprised people don't use that thread more, actually... it seems like months go by with no new posts in there. I wonder why that is? :|

BACK FROM THE DEAD, BITCHES

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
Last seen at: Kentucky
Because we are all very, very serious here. :p

lain of the wired wrote:
It sounds a lot like it would be "Junk Vids/Funny Online Crap: The Subforum!" I'm honestly surprised people don't use that thread more, actually... it seems like months go by with no new posts in there. I wonder why that is? :|

Just like JuriDawn said, you post a video or something, someone says 'lol', and that's all.

As I envision it, it wouldn't just be for keyboard cats and stuff, but also for sites that are serious, strange or otherwise interesting, and don't really belong in the other subforums we have.

I mentioned getting the idea from another board, and it's my favorite part of that board. Some of those guys come up with the most fascinating shit sometimes.

Maybe a certain post count would be enforced before being able to post in it, or a "been a member for so long" restriction to try and prevent spam?

[I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF]

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 4658
Last seen at: My Slinky! My cuddly little pet Slinky! *sobs*
^Isn't that just the Underground?

BACK FROM THE DEAD, BITCHES

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
^You mean Your Special Place? ;)

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Harrys_Girl wrote:
^You mean Your Special Place? ;)

Yeah, like that :D

This way we could keep in the nice respectful members, and keep out the asshat dildo heads :evil:

<3<3<3

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
I love your description, but just implementing a post count doesn't really help keep down the spammers because... well, they more than likely got their post count doing JUST that. Spamming.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Wholesale spamming isn't that big of a problem at this forum, anyway. Unless you guys do a supernatural job of destroying it before I ever see it.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 09 Feb 2004
Notes left: 757
The phpBB version this forum runs has the ability to limit users to certain things based on how many (or in this case, little) posts they have. Best of all, it's all done automatically; no maintaining required.

It basically throws someone with a post count < X in a different group of your choice. You can make this group not have access to certain features, forums, etc. Once their posts are ≥ X it puts them in the "normal" members group with normal/full access.