Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Dec 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Complaint regarding the Moderation Team

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7464
Last seen at: Kentucky
That's what this section is for....

It would not have been fair to just lock it without discussing the issue. Regardless of what some may think we do care what members have to say. We do NOT like having to remove posts, lock threads, give warnings, ban...etc.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
I don't think our Mods are 'harsh.' They are simply doing their job. People, if you make a thread that is pretty much a clone of another, of course it's going to be locked. We don't need useless threads because that just makes our nice, organized forum very cluttered. Our Mods always provide a reason (in the thread itself) before locking it, and you can always PM and ask for a full explanation why they would close your thread. This is an adult forum. You shouldn't expect to be treated like you're five like in other forums. I'll admit, when I first joined the forum, I, too, thought the Mods were harsh. But are they really? You're expected to read the rules of any forum you join, and when you break them, it's expected to be told maybe in a harsh way because you were supposed to read the rules. Simple as that. No, I'm not kissing ass. If you have a problem with the Mods, you have a problem with the rules of this forum, and the forum itself.

Site Support

Missing since: 03 Nov 2005
Notes left: 455
Last seen at: Norway
Magnolia wrote:
It can not be assumed that every single member would think to do that. Let's be honest with ourselves. Not everyone who joins is going to be smart enough to work out that post vanishing = moderator action = you should contact a moderator and ask who did it then bother that person.

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

It might be the days I spend working tech support for technofearing morons, the cheapass git that won't pay his 10 bucks for his email, or the random moron who thought his email account settings could be found in Minesweeper (I kid you not, that actually happened!), but I felt rather compelled to reply.

If you can't collect the amount of intelligence it requires to send a private message to a moderator (or just open a thread in this forum) and ask then the interwebz may not be for you.

ps. I'm not a moderator. I just host the server and make sure the forum doesn't go bonkers up. It means I get to be mean as I please. Mwahahahahaha!!! <-- my evil laugh may need some more work.

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
My two cents, is this - I've probably said it before.... but, oh well...

I don't know of these specific cases of threads being moved without any form of notice to the creator, and I agree that it shouldn't be so. However, if a member can't be bothered to PM a moderator asking why a thread was removed (locked, redirected, hell anything), and engage in some form of dialogue that could help us in doing a better job as moderators, I can't and won't be bothered with the pilled up unresolved issues expressed in this thread. We make mistakes too, you know.

You don't even have to address the moderator who closed your thread or wrote you a warning - should you have some sort of personal grudge or fear against any of us. I'm aware that our tone sometimes comes of a bit harsh when tending to a situation, but it's hard to write a polite explanation why this or that was done everytime when it's - as it quite often is - a display of complete lack of brain function from whoever made the 70th "PYRAMIDS000HEDS ROCKZZZ11111LOLZ" thread. We try to keep a cool head, but we're actual people like you and lose our cool at times. It would help if we got a polite complaint instead of the usual accusations of being "Nazi Modz" too.

Also you have to understand that this forum is pretty big. And when you have big forums with many new members a week it's easy to lose control, thus getting a chaotic mess of duplicated threads and waist high levels of spam.
I'm a member of a much much smaller forum that's very lose about repeated threads and spam, but even that place would crash into spam oblivion if they got a few of the people who come by this place. A forum about a video game series is bound to attract a bunch of immature kids, who enjoys to see their jokes about genitalia on a public display.

Bottom line is this: If you can't accept that we aim to keep this forum on a mature level, free of spam and duplicate threads. And if you can't be bothered to - politely - ask a mod about the concerns or issues that may arise. Well, heres the exit then: ------>>>

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Quote:
A forum about a video game series is bound to attract a bunch of immature kids, who enjoys to see their jokes about genitalia on a public display.

That's how my august residence at this place began. I quite literally walked in here dick-first.

At my pace, calculated by the length of my stride, the rest of my body will follow within three years.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 23 Sep 2007
Notes left: 847
Last seen at: alchemilia
I have been here quite a while and though there have been one or two overly aggressive people I have found it enjoyable. Keeping bandwidth down to make it possible for everyone to be able to come here even those that do not subscribe makes it worth the rules. Follow the forum rules and be respectful to everyone and you should be fine. It seems that most people who file these complaints have made grievances that they should be knowledgeable of. Agreeing to join the forum means agreeing to follow the rules. This means ou should have read the rules before agreeing to them as you would with any contractural relationship. Anyone should use common sense with complaints meaning that if something is upsetting you contact the mods directly through a pm so as not to take up valuable space. This would help both the mods and the complaintant.
Not smoochin, just sayin.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 09 Feb 2004
Notes left: 757
Any examples of what I'm about to say isn't directed towards anyone here. For starters, I'm unfamiliar with you and your posts/posting habits, Magnolia. My examples below are of extreme cases but said to prove a point.

Anyway, you are not paying any fees to register and post here. You have no commitment to register or stay here. Because of that, I don't see how it's right for many to complain about the forum rules. With help from the Cult donators, Vixx pays for this place entirely out of her pocket. As she's not charging anyone to sign up here and is footing the bill, you can see why it's only fair she makes up her own rules.

So how is it fair that the boards go down for everyone because one or two people post "lol" and ":-)" as replies, sucking the bandwidth for all? This is an extreme example but you can see why spam posts are not allowed.

Quote:
The questions actually present their own answer. It used to be that ALL forums operated like this one, but a newer generation of Internet users got tired of it and opted to ditch this system. Thus, liberally moderated communities emerged and, dare I say, have become the norm. People who have been here since the early-mid 2000s will be fine with the system. It's the people who have come in later that see this forum as being something strange, something archaic. We're not used to this kind of system. I personally have bad memories of this system from when I was a 12 year old struggling to follow forum rules that different moderators interpreted differently.

Also, I have a huge qualm with that thinking. I'd rather slam my dick in a door than sign up on a forum that doesn't moderator spam. I can see it now, "Hey guys, here's a well-thought theory I have about _____ from SH3: ____" and all the replies being, "lol," "cool," "gay," and "first."

Who cares what other forums are doing as the "norm"? You know why this is one of the oldest and most popular Silent Hill boards on the Net? Because it isn't consumed by idiotic posts and the rules put into place here are enforced. You think this place is bad? Try the boards I part-run, Silent Hill Community. You think that's bad? Have you ever seen the German Silent Hill boards and their insane, yet-understandable-if-you-have-any-maturity-of-net-usage strict rules? But wait, there's more! That's the biggest, most popular German SH boards on the net just like SHHF is the biggest English SH boards and both have strict policies in non-stupid posting. Starting to see a trend here? Governing stupid to help keep stupid out makes a place ripe for non-stupid discussions.

This is a mature game, with mature themes and mature content. Last thing I'd want is stupid posts consuming this or any other Silent Hill boards. Also, and I know I'll sound like a dick when I say this but it's true: There are a ton of smaller, "no-name" Silent Hill forums on the net with virtually no spam-control for your posting pleasure. You know why they're still small and relatively unknown? Because serious conversations are hard and few to come by at those places. Those boards have probably thirty times more posts in their "General Discussion" section than all the Silent Hill specific sections combined. Why even call it a Silent Hill forum at that point?

Spam control and strict moderation is a necessary evil to make a board pleasurable, let alone tolerable, for any non-idiotic conversations. Mods are humans like us, they'll make mistakes and are sometimes driven by their emotions like the rest of us. But instead of bashing their few mistakes over the grand good they do for the boards, why not just let it go? It's a video game forum. Losing your post here is not the end of the world, I promise.

Last edited by Ratiocinator on 07 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
^ Well said.

Also this is a forum which purpose is "solely" for discussion of Silent Hill. Of course we have sections like Happy Burger and Lakeside for non-SH topics, but those should be viewed as a minor part of the forum really. There's plenty of places on the web for socializing, blogging and so on. I'm not saying you shouldn't post in those sections, just that they shouldn't be the reason why you sign up as member here.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4171
Last seen at: Your Special Place
A quick note to thank contributors for their mature and calm discussion. It's made for an interesting and enlightening read and for that I'm grateful.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 03 Jan 2011
Notes left: 388
Last seen at: Nails Reach, UK
Being a member of many other forums I can see your point but I don't agree.
The mods here are good from my experience and always have time to help.

On other forums Im always getting posts moved or deleted for no reason I think here things are much better and mods do as much as they can to avoid disruption and keep everyone feeling equally appreciated.

Oddly at most other forums the mods are sorted but the senior staff members are the ones I have problem with.
But here everyone seems nice.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Just saw this for the first time now. Unbelievable.

For anyone interested in the "long intellectual threads" Magnolia claims to have created only to have us mean old moderators swoop in and remove, here's a gem of an example of such a thread that I MOVED to the spam section discussed earlier in this thread, NOT deleted:

Magnolia wrote:
Alright, given my odd behavior, bizarre "art" contributions, posts made while under the influence of hallucinogenic sleeping medication and everything else I have done that I probably shouldn't have, there probably isn't a single member of this board that regards me as sane. HOWEVER, IN CASE THERE IS, LET'S FIX THAT RIGHT NOW.

So, after watching and reading about animal hoarders and the horrific lives they lead, I believe I have come up with the perfect way of dealing with child molester-murderers. It's quite simple, really, and would probably cost a lot less than giving them a comfortable prison cell. I believe large barns could be constructed. Large, sturdy barns. These barns would be filled with 9 feet of tightly packed, continually moisturized dog feces. Within the barn, between 40 and 100 dogs would be kept with reasonable space while still maintaining a dense crowd. To be humane, the feces would be moisturized on a closely calculated level so that even the heaviest dog would not sink. Prisoners, one per barn (to prevent them from harming one another and thus escaping justice) would be lowered into this mess. They would have no food, except for dog chow. Their only water source would be the filthy dog water, which would be filled with saliva and waste from the massive number of dogs. Obviously, they would have no access to sanitation of any kind. The prisoners would be given a blanket, a Kit-Kat Bar, a toothbrush and a Gameboy Advance with 4 days worth of batteries. That, and the clothes they wore. How long these people would last would be anyone's guess. With no means to commit suicide (except perhaps provoking a dog), I suspect that most would linger for painful weeks, months or even years or perhaps decades to die of disease or malnutrition in a mercilessly loud, never-calm room overwhelmed by unimaginable stench. This nightmare is what I believe we should do to such human scum.

Does anyone else have comparable ideas? Can anyone else comprehend such things? Or am I surrounded by people who don't believe in Capital Punishment at all? :P Discuss.

Does ANYONE else think I was wrong to lock and remove it? Didn't think so.

By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Missing since: 01 Jun 2008
Notes left: 3453
Last seen at: New Jersey
That's a disgusting post. Who wouldn't remove that?

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Mods who aren't evil, puppy-fucking Nazis, I assume.

Bishop Sasarai wrote:
That's a disgusting post. Who wouldn't remove that?

I was going to post pretty much the same thing, but I was afraid that I would look like a giant meanie. So, now I'm no longer the only meanie.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I just want to make sure nobody who is unfamiliar with the OP walks away from this discussion wondering if perhaps we were actually picking on him for no reason or being less than fair towards him. This is far from the only weird/disturbing post he has made, many of which were also moved to the spam section of the forum, where no one has to read them but us.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1626
Droo wrote:
where no one has to read them but us.

Lucky you. :shock:
No offence to Magnolia, but I can't think of any time or place such a post/thread would be considered ok. In the end though, if someone thinks something of theirs was removed for no good reason, they can always PM a mod to find out more. It's not like someone's going to be banned for enquiring about a thread/post (assuming they're polite and not having a verbal tantrum over it). Of course, it would make things a lot easier for everyone if people think before posting. "Can it be considered spam?" "Is it appropriate?" No? Yes? Then there shouldn't be any trouble with disappearing threads and posts.

^The thing is that I think the OP honestly thought it was okay or something.

I would definitely say that anything talking about anything as disgusting as the matter the OP addressed in the quote that Droo provided, as well as how sadistic it is, is very inappropriate.

The Mods know what they're doing. If they didn't, they wouldn't be Mods in the first place. I seriously doubt they'd want to go to the trouble of locking threads and all that jazz.

We don't just go around locking threads because it gets our jollies off. We do it in adherence to detailed guidelines. If anyone ever questioned something I closed, they are free to PM me about it. They would never be banned for it. The worst that could happen is I say "no" and the thread remains locked/moved.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
I've been PM'd by several members wanting to know what happened to their threads/why they were closed and I believe I've re-opened every single one. Most of the time, it is a miscommunication. It gets cleared up and I'm more than happy to open it up and apologize for whatever inconvenience I may have caused.

It is when we get posts like "YOU BETTER OPEN THAT THREAD BACK UP OR ELSE!!!1!", and believe me, we've gotten PM's like that, that we get annoyed. AND EVEN THEN, we pass the problem along to other mods to get help. I make it a personal policy not to do anything until at least on other mod looks into an issue.

Believe it or not, most of us really try to keep the rest of the mods informed and keep it from being a 1 or 2 mod tyranny.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1626
Harrys_Girl wrote:
I make it a personal policy not to do anything until at least on other mod looks into an issue.

That's a good way of doing things. That way you don't get the crazies going "Rar! S0-and-s0 haz it in f0r me!" Well, you'll still get the crazies doing that, but at least you'll have other mods to back you up in case they go full blown crazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next