Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Oct 2017

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion for a "like" button

Missing since: 11 Dec 2009
Notes left: 369
Last seen at: Lakeview Hotel
I'm a part of a forum where they have just the Like button, and to be honest, I've never seen anyone whining about not getting enough Likes or anything. A dislike button MIGHT not be a good idea, though. Just a Like would do.

I like Spring's suggestion.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19398
Last seen at: #lfk
We don't even have a "like" button, and I'm already complaining about not getting enough "likes." :(

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7963
Last seen at: Nowhere
Why a dislike button wouldn't work? We're not kids for fuck sakes.

Besides, there's always some posts that are crazy to get negative feedback.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 11 Dec 2009
Notes left: 369
Last seen at: Lakeview Hotel
^ What use would a dislike button be? I, for one don't see any. IMO, A "dislikable" post is one which deserves to be reported and we already have a report button to serve that purpose.

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
^I agree with that. Also, I know of atleast one person on this forum who is absolutely immature, who would probably dislike all my posts just because they don't like me. I say we should be safe and sorry. Besides, spam will be deleted. Honestly, I don't really care for one or not, though I'm rather for us to not have a like or dislike button at all. I just think it's rather pointless.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Many forums use likes/dislikes (or, reputation as it was called in the pre-Facebook universe) as a kind of public moderation aid, giving a visible reward for insight and punishment for banality, while eliminating the issue of backseat moderators and people who have nothing better to do than agree with people to raise their own post counts.

I am very much in favor of such a system.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3219
Yeah, I've seen reputation used to much success on other forums. However, there is a problem with it sometimes. For example, on this one forum I have like a rating of being very mixed. People left some comments on their likes. Some of the positive ones are about me saying something they found funny or providing links for info. But I have just as many negative dislikes over things like "you said this thing sucked so you are an arrogant ass" and even one time when I provided correct information, which somebody thought was wrong, so they permanently downrated me for being "wrong and needing to check my facts", despite the fact that I was fucking right.

So, yeah. This system has merits... but it's disappointing sometimes to see my rating half red because of stupid people.

Usually, such systems are designed to prevent that kind of abuse, or at least, give positive feedback greater weight than negative.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 May 2006
Notes left: 1351
Last seen at: a sanctuary for ...no wait - fuck off I have enough friends
Quote:
atleast one person on this forum who is absolutely immature

That'll be AITT, then. *throws poop nugget at*

Unfortunately, like or dislike buttons don't stop people posting pointless shit.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 03 Jan 2010
Notes left: 791
^

Someone wise once said "make something idiot proof, I'll just go and get a better idiot." There's nothing that can physically stop someone posting a tonne of spam posts such as "I like this post".

Having said that, I would love to see reputation buttons on here.

In my experience with some vBulletin forums, I think reputation is kinda annoying.

We could have that Youtube feature. Thumbs up and thumbs down.

Also, I believe some of you are "afraid" of a dislike button because you wouldn't like to have negative points. That's the truth.

^I for one am not 'afraid' of a dislike button, but I do believe that it's just not needed. I just think it's kind of rude. Say for instance someone posts something regarding their religion in the Religion forum. Well, say an atheist just dislikes it clearly because they're an atheist and don't agree. I think that's rude. I think nobody has the right to 'dislike' someone's post, especially if they tried to be thought out about it. If there is any system, I think it should be only likes, but I'd rather no system like that even be around. It's like someone is disliking another person's right to an opinion. Like others have said, any spam will just be deleted. You're not going to stop a troll/idiot, like Tears of Alessa and Shadow said. Any trolls are just going to keep doing their thing by being one until they're banned. That's plain and simple.

Also, I wasn't referring to anyone posting in here about the immature person. The reason I call them immature is due to shit they did referring to me on the SHHF Facebook page.

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
People should be able to dislike a post based on whatever reason they see fit. I'll just ignore the Atheist bit.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3831
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Quote:
I think nobody has the right to 'dislike' someone's post, especially if they tried to be thought out about it.

Eh, i disagree. People can dislike a post if they want. And there's nothing wrong with debating about why you disagree as long as it's done civilly.

But that being said:

Mephisto wrote:
In my experience with some vBulletin forums, I think reputation is kinda annoying.

We could have that Youtube feature. Thumbs up and thumbs down.

Also, I believe some of you are "afraid" of a dislike button because you wouldn't like to have negative points. That's the truth.

I really doubt anyone's "afraid" of a dislike button. That's kind of an assumption. I look at it like this, people are more likely to voice if they dislike or disagree with something you say in detail. Most people aren't gonna just go "yeah i disagree" or "i don't like that". Whereas when somebody post something that people just like whether it's something funny or an argument they agree with it's harder(or pointless) for people to give an in depth response about why they like it. They simply just like it, or thought it was funny. Responses to something like that would be more along the lines of "haha that was funny" or "i agree completely". I mean like i said earlier there's been times where i just want to say "i like that post" or "that was hilarious" and nothing else. A like button could help cut down on those kind of post I think.

Shit I'm not afraid of a dislike button, even if we had one and my post got disliked i'd just be like "whatever haters" :twisted:

Quote:
People should be able to dislike a post based on whatever reason they see fit.

My thoughts exactly.

I just think that's just pointless. With your logic, I'm assuming you think it's okay for people to just dislike your post because they don't like you? That would be considered spam, since it would have nothing to do with what your posting about, not to mention that that's just rude.

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
Many things are just pointless. If people care enough to make a big deal about someone "disliking" their post they need to get out a little bit more. It's not a big deal. Life goes on. People shouldn't be so damn sensitive to nonsense. It wouldn't be considered spam to mark a post as "disliked". You wouldn't be a position to make that call here.

Missing since: 08 Feb 2004
Notes left: 1752
Agreed. If one can't take the kind of criticism that goes along with a "dislike" button being pushed, they need to shift their priorities in life up a bit. There's that saying of "If you can't take the heat, get out of the fire" and with how the net is these days, a truer statement can't be made. Interacting with people through digital means is not for those that can't deal with some flack. The world in general isn't puppy dogs and butterflies so if someone clicking on a dislike button shakes a person to their very core, I'm not so sure I want to see how they react to something a bit more serious happening to them.

Amy wrote:
People shouldn't be so damn sensitive to nonsense.

I propose that this be made the Golden Rule of this forum. The Prime Directive. The First Commandment. The Preamble of the Constitution.

I have been a two-year member of a forum which had a well-considered system of karma, and limitations were made to prevent abuse of negative karma. Such a system would naturally have to be implemented. Suffice it to say, the only people there who ever really suffered for bad karma were people who acted like dipshits, because one person could only hand out one karma judgment at a time, and had to hand out karma to something like 20 other people before they could give more to that same person, eliminating the possibility that it could be spammed for either good or evil.

It would be a nice way to see at a glance who contributes to this community and who makes trouble or just spams.

I still believe that a karma system and/or reputation are annoying. For the same reasons aitt said with this:

Quote:
It would be a nice way to see at a glance who contributes to this community and who makes trouble or just spams.

And what about those that are mature enough in a conversation and help whenever it's possible but in another are a complete goofy/troll? Such person would be "neutral"? I don't think so.