Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Oct 2017

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: SHHF Issues and Concerns

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
Just as the thread title states, this is the place where members of the forum can express their issues/concerns regarding the forum. The moderating staff will be checking this thread and responding to the concerns that have been voiced and help to reach an agreement on a course of action to take concerning those concerns.

Post subject: Re: SHHF Issues and Concerns

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7963
Last seen at: Nowhere
Does deleting posts "recharge" bandwidth or am I missing something? Some posts from the "Piss" thread should've been moved here instead of being deleted.

Also: Better warnings. You guys could use words with size 50 in some cases, in different colors instead of "Psshh, can you stop with that? Pretty please? I believe this is enough, don't you think?"

Comments like this only gets the thread locked because some tend to ignore the message...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
And before anyone says anything: Goddamn! I'm not whining!

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Our best warnings come via PM. Usually, when we're being formal, we'll use a red font.

Otherwise, if the infraction isn't something serious, a nice, conversational tone is sufficient.

Deleting posts does not recharge bandwidth, and we thought it would be a good idea if this thread started fresh without any of the latent hostility involved in the other one.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 13 Jun 2007
Notes left: 811
Last seen at: Brazil
The biggest culprit behind the bandwidth problem is the SHH theme on the forum, it's quite image heavy and as it's the default theme all the guests have to use it which ends up consuming way more bandwidth than the alternate theme you can use once you register.

With the SHH theme on the index you get about 800kb worth of images, with the subsilver theme you get less than 20kb, as every guest has to use the SHH theme all of them end up downloading the 800kb, that's why everytime something happens that brings a great number of guests the site ends running out of bandwidth.

Let's consider SHHF gets around 10k hits per month, if they all end up using the SHH theme it would be 10000 * 800 which would be around 8gb of bandwidth down the drain, now if we had cleaner theme like subsilver it would be something like 10000 * 20 which would be 200 mb, quite a big difference isn't it? So what I'm proposing? Axing the SHH theme or changing it to something cleaner.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
I personally want to have some images for the theme just because it adds character and looks nifty. But it might help if these images were better optimized for the web.

I took the liberty of re-optimizing the images in Adobe ImageReady. The header is down to 119 kb from 455, and the footer is down to about 69 kb from 293. Maybe this can help?

While you're doing that, would you please take that negative of Lisa out of the slide envelope and replace it with the normal positive image. That's been bugging me for years. D:

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Like this?

Si. Thank you.

Brookhaven Receptionist

JuriDawn wrote:
Maybe this can help?

Yes, I think this will help quite a bit.

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
For the record the posts you are referring to Mephisto were moved to our junk section not deleted. We rarely actually delete posts. I believe we (staff) are all happy with the way we handle warnings.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 09 Feb 2004
Notes left: 757
In addition to here, there's also a lot of images used over at SHC. It's the nature of the beast when your board's theme has an actual "theme" to it. JuriDawn's image compressions will definitely help.

Anyway, I've been looking for a simple, sleek, minimalist theme for SHC for a few months now and it's actually a bit surprising how little of those themes exist out there. All I've found are variations of subSilver, with maybe color and icon set changes and nothing more. Which is fine, I guess, but not as minimalistic and sophisticated as I'm looking for.

I'll be really interested to see what you guys find/come up with as an alternative theme solution if you decide to take that route!

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4170
Last seen at: Your Special Place
Wigeke wrote:
The biggest culprit behind the bandwidth problem is the SHH theme on the forum, it's quite image heavy and as it's the default theme all the guests have to use it which ends up consuming way more bandwidth than the alternate theme you can use once you register.

With the SHH theme on the index you get about 800kb worth of images, with the subsilver theme you get less than 20kb, as every guest has to use the SHH theme all of them end up downloading the 800kb, that's why everytime something happens that brings a great number of guests the site ends running out of bandwidth.

Let's consider SHHF gets around 10k hits per month, if they all end up using the SHH theme it would be 10000 * 800 which would be around 8gb of bandwidth down the drain, now if we had cleaner theme like subsilver it would be something like 10000 * 20 which would be 200 mb, quite a big difference isn't it? So what I'm proposing? Axing the SHH theme or changing it to something cleaner.

We used subSilver for a bit. All people did was complain about it. Can't win. Personally, I think Ratiocinator has done an incredible job to make our forum look as unique and different as our community is.

The forum gets around 8-9k views a day - that's why we have issues with bandwidth. Also, bw doesn't quite work that way. The images are downloaded to your cache, so the image use is nowhere near what you're hypothesising. That said, optimised images are helpful - thanks, Juri.

Sorry the Lisa slide has been so traumatic for you, Ryan.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Vixx wrote:
Also, bw doesn't quite work that way. The images are downloaded to your cache, so the image use is nowhere near what you're hypothesising

You're assuming that the majority of the views comes from people who are regulars here, if that was the case then the images wouldn't be that much of a problem, the problem is that the majority are guests, it's pretty safe to assume that lots of new people come in and out, everytime we hit a spike of interest in the series the site goes out in a blink like that one time that a destructoid article linked here, a cleaner theme would help majorly in those situations.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4170
Last seen at: Your Special Place
Nope, not assuming - according to our stats the majority are users (i.e. people who sign in), actually. Only infrequently do we spike with visitors.

Anyway, the optimised images will help. :)

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Quote:
Sorry the Lisa slide has been so traumatic for you, Ryan.

It's okay! My long nightmare is over!

How about, as a compromise, we quickly whip up a third style, basically cloning subsilver and giving it the nicer SHH themed colors? People didn't dislike subsilver because it was minimalist (on the contrary, several people, myself included, favor it specifically for this reason) but because subsilver's color scheme is bland, generic and without character. Having a resource-light style with the SHH theme's admittedly nicer color scheme would be a great compromise and would help solve some of our bandwidth problems if we make it the default style seen by unregistered users. It would also make mobile browsing much easier. Probably wouldn't even take more than a few minutes, either.

There's a quick tutorial for cloning styles here. After that, it'd be a matter of mere data entry.

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1875
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Has anyone been having some pop-up window asking for authentication for "tracking.sitemeter.com" (or something like that) recently?

I've had it happen to me twice now today.

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3823
^Yup, same here:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7462
Yeah, just had that pop up for me.

Missing since: 09 Aug 2007
Notes left: 3631
Last seen at: Federative Republic of Butts
Twice in a row for me too.

Using Opera if thats any help.

Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)

I keep refreshing it on purpose just to see if I get it.

*hugs Google Chrome*

: P