Stupidest creatures ever?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

TleilaxuEyes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TleilaxuEyes »

The hummers, slugs, and toadstools, and to a lesser extent the wallmen and the weaker ghosts, seemed to me more like nuisance enemies than serious threats. This, in turn, makes battling them monotonous and annoying. While the burping and other noises of the monsters were often pretty stupid and/or distracting, I think that the Patients, Twin Victims, Gum Heads, and even those dog things were effective enemies that were both disturbing and fun to fight.
Two things I'd like to note: the dog enemies were a ripoff of the Dumahim from Soul Reaver, and the Bottoms are just as silly as the Patients if you really think about it. :lol:
I'm the kind of kid that can't let anything go
But you wouldn't know a good thing if it came up
And slit your throat.
-"My Heart is the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy

Thanks for the avatar, ST3wolf!
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

agreed. that prison basement part with all the twins just seemed stupid to me, and the wheelchairs parts felt like i was playing a 3d version of something like frogger.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Lost
Just Passing Through

Post by Lost »

I full heartedly agree with nur_ein_teir's wheelchair/frogger comparison. But I think those huge slugs were ridiculous. I remember my first time through all I did was stand around and crush them under Henry's mighty shoes.
the silent O
Just Passing Through

Post by the silent O »

The only monster i was afriad of was... the damn dogs. I didn't really like anyother monsters except the twins and most of the ghost. The burping killed the horrific images of the Patient...
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/TheSilentO/rpg%20pics%20and%20icons/rainbowsilenthill.jpg[/img]
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

I totaly agrees the wheelchairs are just annoying. It would be more freaky if there where monsters stuck in those but just them alone just seem unneccesairy.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Lost wrote:I full heartedly agree with nur_ein_teir's wheelchair/frogger comparison. But I think those huge slugs were ridiculous. I remember my first time through all I did was stand around and crush them under Henry's mighty shoes.
oh yes, i forgot the slugs. ^_^ Again, certain places like where they're around that refrigerator you need to check and in the prison it just feels like a huge waste of time, like pointless button-crunching. I just got really sick of some of them fast. A lot of the monsters just didn't have the impact as the monsters in earlier games. I don't care about how they don't symbolize much of anything, it just bothers me that they are annoying and repetitive, which is not how monsters in a SH game should be.
ImageImage
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

ghost were the only gameplay related thing that owned in SH4. Honestly I spent much time chatting with my friends about 'why SH4 suck so much' even though it had very intruiging story. Some said its the damn backtracking thru the whole game some said the monster design. Well these Ape-thing were dumb but whatever with or w/o nothing would change. Twins also owned with that Chinese death masks though Team Silent bailed that and ripped them from the noisy squeal from awesome trailers :|
kennsj
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Stupidest creatures ever?

Post by kennsj »

phantomess wrote:As for the Patients, the burping may be funny, but at least their appearance is pretty intimidating, right? I think they at least look like they belong.
'Cept that they're a couple of feet taller than Henry, making them look like some kind of undead Amazons. They'd seem more like they belong if they were at least in proportion to the game characters.

It's like the developers said "Okay, let's have Patients instead of Nurses this time, but we'll still make them grey with demented faces. Except that they'll be seven feet tall and burp when you hit them. Yeah! We are f*ck*ng survival horror geniuses!" ("Oretachi fakinggu sabaibaru horaa no tensai da!")
[url=http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/364301][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/kennsj/QFtitle.gif[/img][/url]
it's my Flash SH fangame!
(click above to play; PM me for a walkthrough)
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Stupidest creatures ever?

Post by nur_ein_tier »

kennsj wrote:Except that they'll be seven feet tall and burp when you hit them. Yeah! We are f*ck*ng survival horror geniuses!" ("Oretachi fakinggu sabaibaru horaa no tensai da!")
LOL! Yeah, that must've been how it happened. ^_^

Since no one else is bitching about the dogs, allow me: sure, they're the most SH-ish monters in the game, and they do look pretty cool, but I hate how they practically teleport from 50 yards away. in sh1+sh2 the dogs moved like dogs and you could outrun them. in sh4 some things about the way they moved bothered me.
ImageImage
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

I didn't care much for the creatures in 4 either. Monsters in Silent Hill need to be downright disturbing, menacing, scary as hell. And they should do something that scares you, like when one sees you, it might scream or make a face. Sorta like the Twinfuckers (lol) and how they point untill they see you, then sprint.

The scariest ones to me are mostly monsters that take a human shape or form, liek Patient demons and nurses from SH2 and the wall men from SH4.

SH5 should have some REALLY unique monsters. Like some that climb on walls or dissapear into a black fog when you hit them, illusion ones.

Oh yea, I dont like the dogs in any of them. I say fuck monsters that are too smalll or too big. Thats what I dont like about SH3, most monsters were way off size. Some crawled, some were huge like the first one you encounter, the flying thing was fucking wierd but I dont get how it floated in the first place. It made a scary noise though.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Lost wrote:But I think those huge slugs were ridiculous.
I love those things. (I doubt they're supposed to be scary. They just sort of add to the atmosphere.) They're one of my favorite things about SH4; they're so satisfying to squash. I like to knock them off of the wall with Henry's axe and then step on them. I also get a kick out of using the chainsaw on a slug that's on the floor.
MeatyDistraction
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MeatyDistraction »

the bats and the dogs were especially stupid to me.

i mean, zombie dogs? c'mon.

sorry, i can't capitalize, i'm using logmein from school.
"Are you goin' to Hell or Heaven? Did you walk with the sinners, or pray with the reverend? Tell the truth, I did a little of both, but ain't no tellin' where I'm goin' 'til my body's a ghost."
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

MeatyDistraction wrote:
Have you played/liked any of the other Silent Hill games?
MeatyDistraction
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MeatyDistraction »

phantomess wrote:
MeatyDistraction wrote:
Have you played/liked any of the other Silent Hill games?
Yeah, and I always thought the dogs were dumber than shit.

It's like, the biggest horror video game cliche ever. Sometimes I wonder if the dogs were added as a joke.

I mean, for a game like Silent Hill, with so much depth and meaning to every little thing, it just seems like the zombie dogs were added as some kind of spoof.
"Are you goin' to Hell or Heaven? Did you walk with the sinners, or pray with the reverend? Tell the truth, I did a little of both, but ain't no tellin' where I'm goin' 'til my body's a ghost."
kennsj
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by kennsj »

Image = Image ?
[url=http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/364301][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/kennsj/QFtitle.gif[/img][/url]
it's my Flash SH fangame!
(click above to play; PM me for a walkthrough)
EyeNixon
Just Passing Through

Post by EyeNixon »

^ I'm at a loss for words.
Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
Silent Hill, so peaceful
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Hill, so peaceful »

I agree many of the monsters are more annoying especially the victims but the baby-headed monster truly scared the sh*t out of me (they would've even more if they had kept that baby screech in instead of the current low voice one), but the only ones that just were laughable were the monsters that burped. That seemed like self parody; Konami was this intentional as a joke? They even burped multiple times as they fell down the stairs and I laughed my ass off.
"I am (Silent Hill, so peaceful)...if you want me to be!"- Silent Hill 2

It's the story that happened yesterday, but I know it's tomorrow.
Rin
Just Passing Through

Post by Rin »

I have to admit, most of the creatures in the series I found the most annoying are all in this game. The Toadstools were just stupid, same with the Hummers. And the Ape-things. I've never found monkeys particularly scary, personally. The Patients freaked me out a little bit until I actually hit one. The burping...just...wow. I can't comment on that.... Amusing to an extent, but still worthless. Twin Victims scared the heck out of me, though! The Twins, and the few parts where Walter stalks you were the only times I actually freaked out.

*prays for better concepts/designs in future games*
Number Seven

Post by Number Seven »

The only time the Twin Headed monster scared the shit out of me was the first time I saw the opening of the game and when there was a swarm of them at the end of the Water Prison 2nd time :shock: . The three things that creeped me out the most were Walter and the Ghosts popping up at Random, the hauntings of room 302, and the creepy sheep thing going down the Spiral Staircase World :( .
deadhorses
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by deadhorses »

well i don't see why people keep complaining that the enemies were "too repetitive" like they haven't been in previous sh games.

the skinned dogs were definitely strange in the fact that they made strange noises.

they sounded like cats for christ's sake.

and what's with the moving paisley designs in the cells in the water prison?

sure, they look kind of like the slugs, but more like paisley.

and the twin victims, the fact that just because billy and miriam locane manifest as monsters is stupid.

they'd be a hellof a lot scarier as ghosts.

i always thought the toadstools kinda looked like brainstems.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/cropknok/silenthillsig.jpg[/img]

i spit up dust of what they once were and fall down. i swarm.