SH4 , not originally a SH game?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: SH4 , not originally a SH game?

Post by clips »

Well...while i do like both RE and the SH series...if i had to chose, i'd pick the SH series in a heartbeat...as far as my preference between RE4 and SH4?....it's close but SH4's concept of being locked up in your room while the outside world seems to be chugging along normally while you're dealing with the madness inside your apt was so bizarre and surreal....not to mention the strong and weird storyline in general absolutely blows RE4's campy storyline out of the water.

SH4's characters were much more interesting as well...i loved how everybody in the apt building very slowly became engulfed in the madness...
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Silent Hill 4 was always meant to be a Silent Hill game. In silent Hill 2, there is a newspaper in a furnace during the Hotel level. It explains Walter Sullivan and his crime of killing two young children. Silent Hill 4 was always meant to be a Silent Hill game.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

That's like saying NBC always meant to make Frasier because Kelsey Grammer was on Cheers. Or something.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

Typographenia wrote:That's like saying NBC always meant to make Frasier because Kelsey Grammer was on Cheers. Or something.
Actually, that's a pretty apt analogy.

*golf clap*
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Silent Hill 4 was alway supposed to be a SH game from the start. It's just a common misconception SH fans have becuase of how different the game actuallly turned out to be.

There's an actual making of video on youtube but it's in Japanese and i hope someone on this forum speaks Japanese. I tried contacting Lady ducky but she doesnt seem to respond to my messages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNMEgqcMfwE

Here's a comment from the video:
All he is basically saying is that Silent Hill 4 was kind of hard. The game was designed to make the player scared and on the edge of your seat. He was happy with the way the characters were in the game. He said that they also studied alot of Japanese horror films to create the ghost creatures that Henry encounters. Although the most popular ghost is Cynthia. The room was originally going to take place in SH but was decided against it. He hopes the players will love it.

So there...the room itself, was supposed to be in Silent hill...but then they changed their minds.

Here's part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQrOOm9K ... re=related
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Silent Hill 4 came out great anyway. There are various easter eggs that are in Silent Hill 3 that talk about Silent Hill 4 as well.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

The SH Champion wrote:Silent Hill 4 came out great anyway. There are various easter eggs that are in Silent Hill 3 that talk about Silent Hill 4 as well.
Like what?
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Cyrus Hanley wrote:
The SH Champion wrote:Silent Hill 4 came out great anyway. There are various easter eggs that are in Silent Hill 3 that talk about Silent Hill 4 as well.
Like what?
The Wish House article for example, written by Joseph Schreiber.

Silent Hill 4 originally not being a Silent Hill game is more or less a misconception. In the pre-production, planning stages, it was it's own game, but very, very early on, before any real production began, they changed it to a Silent Hill game. So from the time they actually started making it, it was Silent Hill. In effect, it's always been Silent Hill.

Also, it's a game about the killer from the article from SH2, who was found as a baby by Frank Sunderland, James' dad, was manipulated by Dahlia Gillespie, grew up in Wish House in Silent Hill, and later attacked Joseph Schreiber who is mentioned in 3. He also uses all of the items James uses for the Crimson Ceremony for his purposes. And, if you remember in SH2, in the grave room of the Labyrinth, one of the graves said Walter Sullivan.

It's a Silent Hill game, through and through. The connections are concrete and numerous.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

rm2kking wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote:
Like what?

Silent Hill 4 originally not being a Silent Hill game is more or less a misconception. In the pre-production, planning stages, it was it's own game, but very, very early on, before any real production began, they changed it to a Silent Hill game. So from the time they actually started making it, it was Silent Hill. In effect, it's always been Silent Hill.

Also, it's a game about the killer from the article from SH2, who was found as a baby by Frank Sunderland, James' dad, was manipulated by Dahlia Gillespie, grew up in Wish House in Silent Hill, and later attacked Joseph Schreiber who is mentioned in 3. He also uses all of the items James uses for the Crimson Ceremony for his purposes. And, if you remember in SH2, in the grave room of the Labyrinth, one of the graves said Walter Sullivan.

It's a Silent Hill game, through and through. The connections are concrete and numerous.
Typographenia wrote:That's like saying NBC always meant to make Frasier because Kelsey Grammer was on Cheers. Or something.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

It's called Retroactive Continuity, and companies do it all the time. It goes both ways though. SH4 makes an effort to connect its self backward to the other games as well, and it does so concretely. The connection is beyond dispute.
Saying SH4 isn't a true SH game because it's different is like saying Majora's Mask isn't a true Zelda game.

And half that stuff you bolded in my paragraph was first mention IN SH4. Noone ever knew Frank Sunderland ran an apartment complex before, for example. So your point about Frasier and Cheers is a little moot.

Denying SH4's connection to the series is asinine. It's factual, and beyond dispute.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

rm2kking wrote:It's called Retroactive Continuity, and companies do it all the time. It goes both ways though. SH4 makes an effort to connect its self backward to the other games as well, and it does so concretely. The connection is beyond dispute.
Saying SH4 isn't a true SH game because it's different is like saying Majora's Mask isn't a true Zelda game.
I'm well aware of all of that. You don't need to explain it to me.

But, I ask, how can a game have "easter eggs" referring to it in previous games when the game in question was (as you say) retconned into the series?

They planted easter eggs for a future game in a current game, when the concept for the future game did not exist?

Those "easter eggs" are only easter eggs retroactively, which still doesn't make them easter eggs.
rm2kking wrote: And half that stuff you bolded in my paragraph was first mention IN SH4. Noone ever knew Frank Sunderland ran an apartment complex before, for example.
My bad, I skimmed over it. The bits about Frank Sunderland and Dahlia Gillespie should be unbolded.
rm2kking wrote: So your point about Frasier and Cheers is a little moot.
Not for the articles in Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3.
rm2kking wrote:Denying SH4's connection to the series is asinine. It's factual, and beyond dispute.
Which is why I'm not denying or disputing the connection to the series.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and
rm2kking wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote:
Like what?
That article doesn't talk about Silent Hill 4.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Yeah some things were retconned, while others were given fresh new connections. This, to me, is a great mix and a way to connect Silent Hill to not only the newer games, but the old. I see SH4 as almost something that happened as a consequence of the events of the previous games. I love how it connects the stories of SH1-3 and SH2 in a roundabout way. It adds a sort of cohesiveness to the series.

I don't know if this adds anything to the argument, but it IS possible to find Henry's apt in Downpour. It's just an Easter Egg, but I'm sure one could infer that the Otherworld made room 302 a part of its self because of what went down there. That's my in-universe theory anyhow.

And yes, the article doesn't talk about 4, but it talks about Wish House and was written by Joseph. Again, retroactive, but it's one of the most direct links nevertheless. I get the impression Joseph wrote that article while on his ill-fated trek through Walter's world, or just before.
Orestes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Orestes »

Does anybody else think it's crazy that this is still being debated after eight years?
In Silent Hill, the party finds you
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Yes. Yes I do. I put this issue to rest in my own mind months before the Silent Hill movie came out. Way back in '05 or '06. Get with the program people.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

It seems a user in this thread is claiming that the two interviews stating SH4 was always an SH title are marketing and in fact incorrect.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Which user? I'm not looking through 9 pages of GameFAQs bullshittery.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AyumiSqueezetoy; the posts in question should be on the last two or three pages (I'm not sure, because I browse with 50 posts per page, not the standard).
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Wow. Haven't seen that name in years. Classic GameFAQs.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

if it makes any difference, I was actually working for Konami at the time, and can corroborate the information given in the interview I posted.

The Game Developer article came out some time after the release of SH4, and all they say is that "SH4 is a proper sequel" to the series, but that doesn't negate the idea that it started as a separate idea.

The other interview simply says "We wanted to make a sequel after Silent Hill 3 and you could say that was the initial concept," As mentioned, SH3 and The Room were in development at the same time, so this doesn't negate the idea that what became SH4 was already in production, and they decided to make that into the sequel of SH3.

As I said before, I don't think any of this negates SH4 as being part of the SH series. Just clearing the air.
Wow, sounds like a whole lot of bullshit. They get all defensive about it, and it's really obvious they're trying to cover it up.
How can I prove it without divulging personal info I don't want out there? It doesn't really matter if you believe me or not since I posted the interviews to back up my point. And I worked on really crappy games (Frogger Beyond, McFarlane's Evil Prophecy) so why would anyone lie about that? I'm more likely to lie about *not* working on them on my resume >_O
A name would be a great start. Even Tom Waltz and Tomm Hulett do that much. And his last statement is a big load of bullshit. In all my years doing shitty voice acting work for visual novels, television or movie dubs, or whatever, I've never left any of it off the resume. Even the shitty things. As long as your performance is respectable, the product itself shouldn't reflect on you.

Unless your audio programming was itself fucking shitty, in which case you almost definitely did not work with Silent Hill.

EDIT:

For quick reference, I looked up all the Audio programmers who worked on the original four Silent Hills:

SH1 and SH2: AKT

SH3: Kenji Kawai and Makoto Hiura

SH4: Nazuki Matsushita

Those are AyumiSqueezetoy's only possibilities. Let's bring up what they've done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Kawai

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,73332/

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,51471/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1885894/

Oh man. None of these fit the details AyumiSqueezetoy is providing about themselves. It's...POSSIBLE that he worked for Konami and either didn't touch Silent Hill at all, or wasn't credited on any of the games, but people are calling him a member of Team Silent and he isn't correcting them, and it's highly unlikely that someone so obscure and indirectly connected to the project would have such information such as the original plans for SH4's concept.

AyumiSqueezetoy is a goddamned liar. Prove me wrong.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

If he's lying, he's been playing this game for most of the last decade, because he has claimed employment at Konami as far back as I can remember.