All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Sep 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jan 2009
Notes left: 71
Last seen at: K-town ON
ShaunOfShadou wrote:
In agreement with the other posts, blowing the door off would just reveal an empty apartment. However, if it came down to it, Frank Sunderland would just use his roll of keys to unlock the door, at which point he'd notice nobody was in there, and figure "Hmm, he must not be home, I'll come back later", and walk away.

*the lock is broken Can't open it...

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Mar 2007
Notes left: 192
Last seen at: Chicago
The lock was broken while Henry was in there and alive, the same thing happened with Joseph Schreiber. Had Henry died, it undoubtedly would have unlocked and all traces of the hellish "otherworld" seen by Henry would have disappeared, not that it would have been visible to Sunderland in the first place.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
You forget the nature of the otherworld, everyone trapped inside is in some form sleeping. Henry is probably lying in his bed sleeping/in a coma.

Although this apartment seems to be located in between the different realities and therefor blocking the real world. Sleeping is still a big part in how you enter the realm, Henry is still in there.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Apr 2009
Notes left: 23
It'd be pretty anti-climatic. Henry even has tools in his closet to go at the chains with.
Same thing could be said for why none of the protagonists just leave.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1438
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
The delimitation between Room 302 and the South Ashfield Heights apartments is confirmed through Josephs diary.

- "I can't break down the wall..."

Joseph tried numerous times to destroy the walls, unlucky each time since the inside and outside are in different dimensions. As much as it's impossible for Henry to come out, nobody can enter as long as the room is infected by the otherworld.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jul 2008
Notes left: 57
Last seen at: Inside your mind...
serek wrote:
The lock was broken while Henry was in there and alive, the same thing happened with Joseph Schreiber. Had Henry died, it undoubtedly would have unlocked and all traces of the hellish "otherworld" seen by Henry would have disappeared, not that it would have been visible to Sunderland in the first place.

I agree with you, but I have to add one thing:

If it came down to breaking into Henry's apartment to find out what happened, it would be so much easier to climb the fire escape and break a window.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Mar 2006
Notes left: 573
Last seen at: Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia
Hey, why not jumping out the window!

Now seriously, the locked door is the entire plot device to keep Henry trapped. The game would make no sense if you could simply break down the door. The door might also have some "enchantment" to make unbreakable.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/2 ... ef=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2006
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Wish I knew
That's a very interesting question.

I always thought it was strange that no one bothered to really check up on Henry. Sure they knocked on his door and tried to get in, but other than that, they did nothing.

I know that the lock was broken and that they couldn't get in through conventional ways, but they could have called a locksmith or as a last resort, the fire brigade. I mean, what if Henry was hurt or worse?

To answer the question, I think it depends on if he climbed in a hole or not. If he was visiting one of the worlds, they would find an empty appartment. But if Henry is still present in the appartment, maybe they would see a ghostly presence or the other hauntings.

The apartment might be in another dimension, but that doesn't mean it's inaccessable for other people. Frank Sunderland has a connection with Walter so he would at least be influenced in some way.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
To answer the question, I think it depends on if he climbed in a hole or not. If he was visiting one of the worlds, they would find an empty appartment. But if Henry is still present in the appartment, maybe they would see a ghostly presence or the other hauntings.

The Apartment would probably be normal and empty either way, the same way you would go to Silent Hill and see normal people living their lives, instead of James or Harry killing monsters.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Jun 2009
Notes left: 132
Lostkitsune wrote:
Great minds think alike Mephisto! Though I don't think they would find nothing, after all that would leave a big apartment sized chuck in St. Ashfield's that people would notice, I think they would find an apartment, just no hauntings,Henry, or anything like that.

First off, AWESOME NAME, LostKitsune.

Secondly, I think they would be able to break in if they tried hard enough. Bullets seem to be able to kill the order's gods (and Walter himself) after all. However, I think Walter would kill anyone who tried with his power. Lastly, Because Douglas could also see the monsters in SH3, and because Walter's power eventually became enough to affect the real world, it's quite possible they would have seen some seriously freaky stuff.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
You guys don't play enough games. Had they broken the door down, they would have found a Toadstool guy who said "Sorry, but your Henry is in another dimension." I mean, duh! :D

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

Post subject:

"Your Townshend is in another Apartment."

And it would've been Kid Wal-wait.

Quick, we need a cartoonist to draw Henry getting to the Eileen "death" scene in the Apartments, with Kid Walter going, "Sorry, your Eileen's in another level."

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
In the movie "1408," a man is trapped in a hotel room. At some point his ex-wife and a bunch of police try to break into the room he's trapped in, and they find that the room is empty. Of course, it's impossible to tell if this really happened because he only heard it through a web-cam conversation with her, but hey...
I think that it'd just be an empty apartment.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
Oooh, 1408 was a good movie!
Come on, cartoonists, hop on it!
I agree with the general opinion that the apartment would be empty, but I still like my idea about the Toadstool dude. :D

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
PeachySakura24 wrote:
Oooh, 1408 was a good movie!
Come on, cartoonists, hop on it!
I agree with the general opinion that the apartment would be empty, but I still like my idea about the Toadstool dude. :D

Finally, someone else who liked it. =D

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2008
Notes left: 586
Last seen at: Lake Tahoe, U.S.A.
This thread made me think of a similar question....

If Henry were somehow able to force his door open before the events leading up to it opening by itself, would he still enter the same realm?

revalations 23:16

Post subject:

I would imagine Walter would screw with him by having him leave the Apartment and wind up...in the Apartment.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jul 2009
Notes left: 60
Last seen at: FL
This was a very interesting discussion to read! Very great theories from all angles. Personally, I don't think that they would necessarily blow the door down, seeing as other tenants are in the area. Most likely, Sunderland would've had the fire brigade try the battering ram and/or the windows first. I don't think it would've been that much of a struggle for them to get through, seeing as they're in the "easier, real" world. Henry's trapped in another dimension but the apartment is still there in existence. Sure, the keys didn't work but it doesn't mean that more forceful ways on disturbing this "dream" wouldn't work. Like some people said earlier, I think they would've either not found Henry there or Henry would be missing. Hell, maybe the guy would be sleep-walking? I personally go with the former theory; as Cynthia mentioned, it's a dream. The locks were placed in this "dream" to prevent Henry from getting out/waking up. The hole is a passageway to the synchronized minds that are related to Walter in some shape, way or form.

I also wondered why no one really tried to find out if Henry was okay. I mean, if I was a tenant owner, I would've had an investigation launched as soon as I started getting complaints and words of concern from that tenant's neighbors. But who knows, I mean Sunderland keeps umbilical cords in his drawer so who knows what he's thinking *shrug* LoL j/k Poor Henry, he's so quiet and keeps to himself, maybe people didn't think that much about it because he's so sheltered? Anyway, those are my thoughts. Walter was lucky to get such a calm, introverted guy to check into this apartment; as the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind".

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2008
Notes left: 586
Last seen at: Lake Tahoe, U.S.A.
AuraTwilight wrote:
I would imagine Walter would screw with him by having him leave the Apartment and wind up...in the Apartment.

O.k. ....What if he got that apt. door open? :D

revalations 23:16

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Aug 2007
Notes left: 519
Last seen at: Redondo Beach, California
He would then find himself in a room with a moose.