how did you feel about SH4 at the time of it's release?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

how did you feel about SH4 at the time of it's release?

Post by Doo-glas »

I seem to remember 4 being met with mild ambivalence by the gaming press at the time of it's release (X-Play gave an especially flippant review for example), but how was your personal reaction at the time?

me, I liked it quite a bit, but I couldn't help but feel that it was essentially an "appetizer" for what would've surely been an (at the time) next-gen sequel, basically it felt like Team Silent was trying a few new things before moving on to bigger things on the PS3 and the (then unannounced) Xbox 360, I think part of the reason why was the fact that it was released only 13 months after SH3

but sadly Team Silent folded, a next gen sequel didn't happen until 4 full years later and it turned out to be a disappointment, but that's another story
Last edited by Doo-glas on 10 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

I loved it. From the introduction when you start a new game, I knew it was going to be a fun. The story is good as an independent one, even though some people don't consider it to be part of the Silent Hill series and more of a "fake" SH game.
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

I knew it was a SH game and thus, I had to own it. :) When I first played it, it seemed different. But I decided to continue on because, like any other game, I wanted to see more of it and how it all ends. By the conclusion of the game I made the decision that it wasn't a bad game, but it was very different from other SH games and that sort of made me like it a tad less.
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

I was confused by this game more than anything. The whole going through the hole in the wall thing. It took me a while to get used to it.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I loved it, Silent Hill 4:The Room has a very different feel but in a good way, bringing a different brand of fear and story than the other titles in the series, and I must disagree that SH:H was a disappointment, in fact I sort of feel the same about it that I did with SH4, scary, and a good story, but in a different sort of way. Though I will admit both take a bit of getting used to compared to the rest, but they are both gems.
MatchCat
Just Passing Through

Post by MatchCat »

At first I thought it looked dumb and disregarded it.
Then I actually played it and thought it was great. It took a different turn than the other games and that's something you've got to appreciate. It's very different from the others, but still interesting and invovled. It still got you thinking.
Frankly, this game is one of the best of the series and it's a real stand out because it's so drasticly different to what everyone was previously used to. Also, Henry is a unique protagonist due to his personality. Not saying the other games were all the same, it's just this one was a rare gem.
Last edited by MatchCat on 10 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/Wafflepudding/machinegunmovsma.gif[/img]
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Loved it and still do.

I found it much scarier back then, though.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

It's the scariest in the series to me. The ghosts doing damage to you by just being around you and not being able to get away from them no matter how hard you try in some areas makes you feel helpless. Not to mention the whole disturbing storyline.
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I thought there was already a topic about this... but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I liked it. I was super excited when my aunt gave it to me for Christmas that yr. and I played it all the way through. I love the game, but it is definitaly my least favorite of the series.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I loved it, to be honest. I would spend hours playing it after I got home from school and its release basically got me through what was a rather shitty summer.

I thought it was a bit silly how so many people got sand in their pants about it, though.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Great story, terrible gameplay. The game would be great if I didn't have to play it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

I agree slightly. Although the previous titles have much better gameplay, Silent Hill 4 was still fun. I liked the fact that Henry never gets tired of running but I disliked taking care of Eileen in some of the more intense moments. For example, Walter was chasing Henry and Eileen down the staircase outside of the Water Prison and Eileen was pretty slow and had some trouble catching up. The end of Water Prison World 2 where there are about six twin victims was no picnic either, I think I used about 30 bullets there. It's also majorly lacking in unlockables in comparison to SH3 or Origins.

It does have it's pros, however. I liked the health bar as well as the different things going on in your room upon most of your returns there, and I think that was a great game mechanic. The room hauntings and immortal ghosts also made SH4 a memorable title for me.
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

I really really liked it, and I still do. I know, it is kind of different from the other games, but that didn't bother me. The only thing bothering me where the reappearing ghosts.
I liked the story, the three main characters, the environment.

To me it all had a good Silent Hill feeling to it. Oh, the only other part I didn't like too much was that they split the forest world into a dozen little areas instead of having it one big open place. But I kind of see WHY they did it.
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Yeah, it wouldn't be too fun having Walter follow you wherever you go.
chaoticxinsane
Just Passing Through

Post by chaoticxinsane »

I think hearing Walter opening the doors and gates in the Forest World was scarier than if it was all open, personally. Especially since the camera never seems to be focusing on him when he's doing it. It's just a *creak... BANG BANG* "[insert lots of cursing]."

As for what I thought about it... I didn't even hear about the game until it was already in the clearance bin at Gamestop years later. It was the first Silent Hill title I ever played. When I popped in Sh3 a couple weeks ago, the first thing out of my mouth was: "Where the hell's my life bar!?"
[img]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/Isnkode/sig%20banners/sigbannercopy.jpg[/img]
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Didn't care for it when it was announced, and I still haven't played it yet. I might one day.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Chaoticxinsane - You have to be away from the door for him to actually come through it, since there's no door opening animation for you or Walter.
Last edited by Sake on 10 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
serek
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by serek »

When I first bought it I was not that fond of it. I spent three or so days playing through Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, and the finally 4, and The Room definitely seemed the weakest of the installments.

When I step back and stop comparing it to the other games, however, I recognize that I treated it pretty unfairly, and it's still a fairly good game.
Why do you complain of your fate when you could so easily change it?
-Marquis de Sade
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Well, my friend traded SH4 with me for Rumble Roses... Wanker... :roll:
Anyway, I tought the game was nice, and it wasn't that scary to me, only the Water Prison was and the Twin Victims, but apart from that nothing... I remember playing it every night when I was back at my place after school.... Good times, but to get the good endings is a pain, I finished the game 2 times with only the bad ones, c'mon...
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The Silent Hill 4 PC demo was the first Silent Hill that I played, only a short while after the game's release, and the impression it left was good enough to warrant asking for all four games for Christmas. I didn't care for the gameplay, but I was wooed by its atmosphere, plot, art-direction, and sound-design. I liked exploring the apartment, and I thought that the un-killable ghosts were a cool concept. The common complaint that it was "too different" from the earlier three games didn't mean much to me, since I hadn't played them yet. Even after playing the earlier three games, my opinions about Silent Hill 4 didn't change much. It's my third-favorite game in the series.