Q's about SH4 ***spoilers***

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: Q's about SH4 ***spoilers***

Post by Mephisto »

^But is Valtiel evil? I always considered him neutral.

Maybe, just maybe, Valtiel wasn't supposed to be inside someone. Maybe he had another job to do, you know. . .

To understand this concept we have to understand why Jimmy Stone and George Rosten did such a thing.
It's never stated in the game but one could assume that with Valtiel's "aid" Walter would develop the "other half" needed to complete the ritual.

But why Stone and Rosten would want Walter to succeed? Both of them would end up dead one way or another. (All the deaths had a meaning. Those persons were chosen from the beggining).

'Course this is just another endless theory but that's just a thing for us, the forum members, to think about. . .
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Mephisto wrote:
But why Stone and Rosten would want Walter to succeed? Both of them would end up dead one way or another. (All the deaths had a meaning. Those persons were chosen from the beggining).
The meaning of each death was chosen from the beginning, but the actual victim was not, Walter used each killing as a way to get back at people he felt had wronged him in one way or another. Had everything gone as the cult had planned then Stone and Rosten would not have been victims. I think.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I think.<
Don't think. Know. You're right.

>Walter simply means he wasn't himself when he killed the victims<
It's a good thing we can interpret things in multiple ways. ;)
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

The meaning of each death was chosen from the beginning, but the actual victim was not, Walter used each killing as a way to get back at people he felt had wronged him in one way or another.
That old lady Sharon Blake, I guess, for example. What did she ever do to Walter? And there's William Gregory, the guy that fix clocks. And the bartender. . .

Of all the 21 "victims" only something like 7 or 8 actually did "something" to Walter.

Many were innocents that shared what was needed to fullfil the ritual.

I made some analysis on another thread ages ago but I can't remember the name of it. . .
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

The Adversary wrote:It wasn't a conscious decision.

SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM was written at the same time as SILENT HILL 2, and in SILENT HILL 2 the original script, before a massive revision, involved "doubles." Much like Mary/Maria, another was James/Joseph Barkin.

I suspect this concept was carried over into THE ROOM, so that Walter had his own "double" as himself. This helps explain why when he was arrested he yelled, "I did it, but it wasn't me!"
I had never heard of "double" concept that SH2 originally had. Is there is a thread or a site with more info about this or has it too disappeared with time?

That concept would actually make a really good SH. I'm thinking about writing a theoretical story line for this.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

I did not want to start another topic so I will just post my question here if that is ok.

Just a reminder I never beat Silent Hill 4: The Room I quit because I could not take playing it anymore and every time I try I can not bring it upon myself to play it.

My question is is their anything that tells us who Henry is before this? (By this I meant the beginning till the end of the game) I think I remember him saying he was a writer or something in the beginning of the game? (Or that could of been Jouseph) but besides that's I can not remember anything that would tell me who Henry was before this and if their is something that tells us please tell me what it is.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
SHF

Post by SHF »

jeremyjh wrote:I did not want to start another topic so I will just post my question here if that is ok.

Just a reminder I never beat Silent Hill 4: The Room I quit because I could not take playing it anymore and every time I try I can not bring it upon myself to play it.

My question is is their anything that tells us who Henry is before this? (By this I meant the beginning till the end of the game) I think I remember him saying he was a writer or something in the beginning of the game? (Or that could of been Jouseph) but besides that's I can not remember anything that would tell me who Henry was before this and if their is something that tells us please tell me what it is.
There is not much to know about Henry, other than he is a photographer who visited Silent Hill. Also he smokes, since we can see an ashtray on the living room table.
He has a quiet. altruistic personality, and is quite handsome. He seems to dress well, casually you could say even.

And yes Joseph is or was the writer/journalist in the game.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

SHF wrote:
jeremyjh wrote:I did not want to start another topic so I will just post my question here if that is ok.

There is not much to know about Henry, other than he is a photographer who visited Silent Hill. Also he smokes, since we can see an ashtray on the living room table.
He has a quiet. altruistic personality, and is quite handsome. He seems to dress well, casually you could say even.

And yes Joseph is or was the writer/journalist in the game.
(You can also tell by the shoes by the door)
Thanks now I have one moire question.

Do the haunting in Henrys apartment mean anything besides just to spoke him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^The hauntings are Walter's manifestations.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

I don't get it... If theoretically it was Walter's physically manifested "other self" who committed the murders, and that's what he meant in the article when he said "I did it, but it wasn't me", why would he commit suicide over guilt? Simply because he just knew it was still a facet of who he was? That's the only part that kind of confuses me...

Other than that, that theory is close to what I've always believed and makes sense. Somebody had to dig him up, and I don't think he just snapped back to life and did it himself.

So, could the splitting of his personalities into two physical beings be a by-product of his descent through the abyss? His tombstone is found there in SH2, after all. Where exactly would his journey through there sensibly fit in, timeline-wise? I always thought he did murder the Locaine twins when he was still one whole man, and somehow his journey through the abyss was the catalyst of his split.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
SHF

Post by SHF »

I don't get it... If theoretically it was Walter's physically manifested "other self" who committed the murders, and that's what he meant in the article when he said "I did it, but it wasn't me", why would he commit suicide over guilt? Simply because he just knew it was still a facet of who he was? That's the only part that kind of confuses me...

^
My theory is that Walter killed himself, because he knew that he would be resurrected. Remember, he was still under Valtiel's influence, and since Valtiel is the Angel of Rebirth, so to speak, Walter was reborn. ( just like Heather can be at times when she dies)

So, could the splitting of his personalities into two physical beings be a by-product of his descent through the abyss? His tombstone is found there in SH2, after all. Where exactly would his journey through there sensibly fit in, timeline-wise? I always thought he did murder the Locaine twins when he was still one whole man, and somehow his journey through the abyss was the catalyst of his split.
^
He killed the Locane children when he was still mortal. Adversary has the timeline for such things, but my understanding is that Walter Sullivan committed the Locane murders and killed himself before the events of Silent Hill 2. ( this is evident as James reads the article about it, and it says the events happened on the same day, a few months ago, meaning months ago)
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

When Walter was split, he was basically split between his killing side and his guilty side. Aside from pretty much behind defined by his conscience, that same conscience makes the arrested Walter know that the killer on the lose is from within him.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

The more we talk about it the more I am interested to beat the rest of the game. I am in the forest part for the second time. I quit because the only thing that scared me in the game because of the lack of cut scenes and him barely appearing was Walter but he charged like an idiot out of the woods which made me think.... "This...this is not scary" but hearing how close you have to pay attention to the story maybe I miss judged the end of the book by the middle but anyway do any of you think its worth going all the way through?

EDIT: I has one more question. >,< Is their any point to the holes leading to the apartment to the other places.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

jeremyjh wrote: EDIT: I has one more question. >,< Is their any point to the holes leading to the apartment to the other places.
Of course there is a point... Henry's title is the "receiver of wisdom". Its his job to travel to these different manifested planes of Walter's Kingdom in order to gain "wisdom", and since he's locked in the apartment, these portals were basically necessitated from that.

Also, they are reminiscent of the birthing process, and since the apartment is viewed by Walter as his "mother"....

You should really finish the game. Silent Hill: The Room has it's flaws, but so has every entry in the series. In my opinion, based on from where you stopped in the game, some of the most disturbing parts and satisfying story development are yet to come. Many things begin to make sense as you near the end.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."