Rushed endings

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Rushed endings

Post by Spudrush »

Does anyone get the impression that the different endings of sh4 were a last minute idea, as you can get a different ending just by playing differently in the last hour of play, while in silent hill 2 you need to get certain items, or treat characters differently, or even fight enemies in a different way.
i just think it was lacking in ideas, like i think eileens doll should have changed summin, or sonething else like that
it was a great game tho.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.
HILL_IS_ILL
Just Passing Through

Post by HILL_IS_ILL »

the whole game was a different thing. they wanted to change it...and i dont know why, but they wanted it to be different. i guess they got complaints from people that didnt want to play the game again to see a different ending, speaking on what you say..

although, i thought if errg...that girl that fallows henry i forgot her name, if she gets hurt alot during the game, i thot that effects how the game is ended? i mean i havnt beaten the game yet, i really dont want too..the way konami changed it, its kind of boring for me.
Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Post by Spudrush »

yeh i know what you mean..
i used to think it was an amazing game, but thats cos it was the first silent hill i had played, but i completed the second one and now i only think its pretty good, and i just like the idea of playing the whole game a certain way to get an ending, rather than determining the ending at the last minute.
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Team Silent was obviously trying something new.
Cherry Bomb

Post by Cherry Bomb »

HILL_IS_ILL wrote:although, i thought if errg...that girl that fallows henry i forgot her name, if she gets hurt alot during the game, i thot that effects how the game is ended?
Eileen. And the more hurt she gets (more specifically, the more possessed by Walter she gets) only affects one of the very last cutscenes. You could say it had an affect on the ending because the more possessed she is, the more difficult she is to rescue.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Cherry-spc-Bomb.png[/img][/url]
Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Post by Spudrush »

yeh but you can heal her in an instant, which kinda defeats the point of trying to protect her.
Cherry Bomb

Post by Cherry Bomb »

Really? Whenever I tried that, she'd be all healed up, and then come the final fight she'd be just as fucked as before.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Cherry-spc-Bomb.png[/img][/url]
Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Post by Spudrush »

well i dont really know the ins and outs..all i know is i did it once and it worked.
i might have had a fluke?
Jedah
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jedah »

Cherry Bomb wrote:Really? Whenever I tried that, she'd be all healed up, and then come the final fight she'd be just as fucked as before.
You have to heal her in Franks room before you get the umbilical cord. If you heal her anytime before that, eventually as time passes by, she will go back to been possessed again, so it has to be right at that moment in Franks room because that’s when Eileen leaves you for the last boss battle.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/jedahpr/banner7v2.jpg[/img]
"The Monster inside of me as grown this big"
HILL_IS_ILL
Just Passing Through

Post by HILL_IS_ILL »

Really? Whenever I tried that, she'd be all healed up, and then come the final fight she'd be just as fucked as before.
haha i laughed at that, that last line was funny. :lol:

and yea, plus i dont know if its just mean, but there are sum points in the game that are just too hard...im at the prison the second time, and i need to knock out that ghost and stick that damn sword in him to get a damn key...wtf silent hill?
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

For people who are still confused; The amount Eileen gets hurt only affects the speed at which she walks into the device during the Final battle.

Anyway:

I prefer the approaches used in the other games. However, I did find that (yesterday) having the two variables which determine the ending placed right at the end were useful when trying to achieve a particular ending quickly. That is the only advantage I can see.

I thought the actual endings themselves were kind of tacked on, aswell. The ones in SH2 had some kind of meaning to them, whereas SH4 just had 'Walter Wins - Henry Wins' with two middle-ground type endings in between.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I think that's because it wasn't Henry's battle to fight. He didn't have anything to do with what went on, and he was forced into it. The only outcomes that were available to him were die or survive. He didn't have a daughter to save, a wife to find/truth to uncover, didn't have a father to avenge... he just had to stay alive.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Post by Spudrush »

You have to heal her in Franks room before you get the umbilical cord.
really?, the one time i ever used the candle was in that room! lol. i probably read somewhere that was the place without knowing and did it subliminally!
word.
Æ
Location: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"

Post by Æ »

That trick never worked with me... It´s probably an european version thingy stuff.

And I try it everytime I play the game. She´s always bloodied and disgusting in the final battle
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/705/cpiadebarrierdetail1oq0.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

For the other versions of the game, they'd fixed the glitch.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Spudrush wrote:
You have to heal her in Franks room before you get the umbilical cord.
really?, the one time i ever used the candle was in that room! lol. i probably read somewhere that was the place without knowing and did it subliminally!
word.
You can also do it before you leave Eileen with the Notebook on the first floor.

You'll get something special at the begining on the cutscene apon your return. :wink:
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Is there anything about Silent Hill 4 that someone won't complain about? :?
No, the endings didn't feel tacked on at all. Also, you forgot about the other variable that determines the endings - the number of hauntings dispelled by candles. That's not a last minute thing, game-wise, and I couldn't get the best ending without playing through the latter half of the game again. I was too afraid that I would need the candles later, and I had accidentally wasted two of them early on...so I saved them and failed to exorcise most of the infestations.
...Silent Hill 4 rules. :wink:
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I'm going to quote myself, since.. it seems it's been totally passed over. Plus I can do that and I don't mind doing that.
I think that's because it wasn't Henry's battle to fight. He didn't have anything to do with what went on, and he was forced into it. The only outcomes that were available to him were die or survive. He didn't have a daughter to save, a wife to find/truth to uncover, didn't have a father to avenge... he just had to stay alive.
People will always bitch about something..
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I can quote myself too!
Raithien wrote:...Silent Hill 4 rules. :wink:
But, yeah Krist...that makes sense. He just had to make it, and keep the room from being consumed or consuming him. The only things he could change - whether Eileen and/or himself survived, that was the major basis for an ending, just like a certain critic was saying earlier. I don't see that as a problem though.
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

People will always bitch about something
And it's bitching because...? What...? Its a different opinion to yours...?

I didn't say "Bleh, SH4s endings were shite. They sucked. Big time".
I said they felt tacked on, and gave my reasons.
Thats not bitching, its disagreeing.