Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 Oct 2014

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Using holy candles, a little help please?

Missing since: 20 Feb 2010
Notes left: 63
Hi there. I've been a fan of Silent Hill for ages but only recently got a chance to actually play the games for myself. In order I've made it through Homecoming, Silent Hill 2, Shattered Memories, and I've got this one and Origins left before I run out of ones I was able to find for PC or Playstation 2.

Anyway, despite some of the more annoying aspects of gameplay, I for one am really quite enjoying The Room, much as I enjoyed Homecoming, which apparently makes me a distinct minority in the fandom, but that's neither here nor there. I find the aesthetic and atmosphere very Silent Hill-ish (unlike Shattered Memories) and there have been things that made me jump and skin-crawly, and

[spoiler]the hospital corridor full of doors and self-wheeling wheelchairs, and that one one room with the giant head and rolling eyes[/spoiler]

featured in a nightmare I had that night and will frankly haunt me forever.

But the thing I'm asking is, I'vee died several times attempting to use a holy candle to deal with a haunting, because your health goes so quickly when you're in the thick of it, and I can never find the right place to put the effing candle down, I just keep getting a 'I can't put it there' text, and a couple of times when I found a place on the screen where I was able to put it down, it burned away but didn't seem to affect the haunting, and once you've put it down you can't pick it up again.

So what I'm wondering if you can help me with is, is there a special technique to figuring out where to put the candles down, and quickly? I'm trying to go by how red the screen goes and how loud the radio is, because that's what instructions in the game were, but I can never find a place where I'm able to put it down quick enough, before my health all goes and I die.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
You shouldn't need to stand right in the thick of the haunting to place the candle. It's been awhile since I played The Room, but I remember that most if not all of my hauntings could be cleansed without taking proximity damage. Perhaps you're actually standing too close to see the correct spot to place the candle. In the area of the haunting, you should of course try the floor and every available surface (tables, windowsills, counter tops).

There's a thread in the Quicklinks that deals with holy candles and saint medallions here. You can continue that discussion if you like; I'm sure someone else will have this problem later, and it would be nice if they could find answers to your question there in the Quicklinks.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3531
Is it the clock? Because if it is, place it on the chair. Stand back a little, For the television, place it right in front between the coffee table. You may be standing too close to see the correct spot.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2522
Also, it's really, really helpful to use your Saint Medallions when trying to place Holy Candles.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Sep 2007
Notes left: 1030
Last seen at: Brisbane, Australia.
I never tried to make the hauntings go away but I would definitely like to.

H+

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 May 2010
Notes left: 47
For me
I had the slippers (candle on counter)
Clock (candle on chair)
Windows (candle on little table)
Chair (candle on little table or floor near chair)
Closet (candle on floor betweeb closet and bed)
Kitchen sink (candle on floor)
Tv (candle on floor in front of it)
Cracks (saint medalion(s) and/or candle)
Ghost (candle under him on floor
Peephole (candle on floor near door)

Also look at my youtube "spikeyroxas" as i recently made a vid of me exorsizing the peephole and closet. Maybe that will give you sone idea

FUUUUUU NINJA NURSE!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Feb 2010
Notes left: 63
Thanks very much for the help. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but these tips have been very helpful.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 May 2010
No probs.
Good luck =]

FUUUUUU NINJA NURSE!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 May 2010
Notes left: 76
Last seen at: Blue Creek Apt.
Well.. I just went front of it (not totally close or in front of haunting) and just clicked candle. Dunno if controls are harder (=worse) on PS2 but on PC it was pretty simple. Just try to be in area of haunting, when the screens borders start to flash red and then just click candle. Thats the way (a-ha a-ha I like it) I did it.

Sorry for the disco song it just started looping on my head lool :DD

"It comes from nowhere to awaken the man with pyramid helmet to his mission".

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2009
Notes left: 200
Last seen at: Jack's Inn, trying to use the free wifi
Ah yes, placing those candles are quite the annoying thing >.> Just literally try from far away and get slightly closer until the candle places itself.
Good luck! <3

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Jul 2010
Last seen at: Silent Hill
oh no wonder my windows in the living room are shaking and when i get closer my health goes down :p i thought it was normal and let the window shake and shake :p i'll try the candle soon and see whats up.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Sep 2009
Notes left: 274
It's really easy actually, if you're getting hurt you're doing it wrong. How I usually did it was kind of slightly get into it to find out where it is and then back up and place the candle on the floor near the haunting. I think I got all of them in my first playthrough.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Since the question has been answered several times and there's an existing thread on the subject of dispelling hauntings, I'm locking this. Good luck, KristinT!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]