Am I the only wimp who hasn't managed to get through this!!!

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

lyneea
Just Passing Through

Am I the only wimp who hasn't managed to get through this!!!

Post by lyneea »

Hi all,

I'm a huge SH fan, I was hooked from SH1, loved SH2 even more, and although I was a little dubious about 3, I still enjoyed it in its own way, but mostly because of Vincent.

Then came 4....or, 'The Room'....oooo!

I bought it pretty much new, and I *still* haven't managed to finish it!

First time round, I got really hung up on the gameplay, and to me it felt more like a chore. The only 'safe haven' was the room, and you had to keep going back and forward, and then you had the ghosts that got very annoying, and a lot of the moving around and running from here to there seemed laborious and there just for the sake of it rather than feeling like an actual journey. And then, your safe haven starts getting messed up freaky! That's not fair! LOL Just sitting around and having a cup of tea, and before you know it you're getting haunted!

So, I got about half way through and got stuck somewhere and kept dying, so I stopped playing and never went back to it.

Then me and my friend, also a huge SH fan, decided to tackle it together, so we started a new playthrough where we played together, took it in turns with the controller, cheering each other on. We got further on that run through, but we still never completed it, I think we lost interest somewhere around dragging the woman around with us and having to revisit everywhere. So we never completed that one either.

Am I being a huge wimp or something? I have still never managed to get through it! I just find it more of a chore than a pleasure to play.

There's some good points of course...like when you're in the room and you look through the spy hole of your door and walter's eye is right up there staring back at you, that nearly made me jump through the roof and throw the controller at him LOL And I love the song from it, Room of Angel, I actually used it in a concert I did, made it into a duet with me and another female voice. And I quite liked the apartments, with really weird stuff stashed away by everyone. (Apart from that blimmin doll he leaves you!). And who doesn't love the hospital?

I feel like I should give it another go and try and get through it, but the thought of having to go through all the boring bits again just makes me shudder. I'm hiding in Mass Effect at the moment LOL
GothGal
Just Passing Through

Re: Am I the only wimp who hasn't managed to get through thi

Post by GothGal »

lyneea wrote:Hi all,

I'm a huge SH fan, I was hooked from SH1, loved SH2 even more, and although I was a little dubious about 3, I still enjoyed it in its own way, but mostly because of Vincent.

Then came 4....or, 'The Room'....oooo!

I bought it pretty much new, and I *still* haven't managed to finish it!

First time round, I got really hung up on the gameplay, and to me it felt more like a chore. The only 'safe haven' was the room, and you had to keep going back and forward, and then you had the ghosts that got very annoying, and a lot of the moving around and running from here to there seemed laborious and there just for the sake of it rather than feeling like an actual journey. And then, your safe haven starts getting messed up freaky! That's not fair! LOL Just sitting around and having a cup of tea, and before you know it you're getting haunted!

So, I got about half way through and got stuck somewhere and kept dying, so I stopped playing and never went back to it.

Then me and my friend, also a huge SH fan, decided to tackle it together, so we started a new playthrough where we played together, took it in turns with the controller, cheering each other on. We got further on that run through, but we still never completed it, I think we lost interest somewhere around dragging the woman around with us and having to revisit everywhere. So we never completed that one either.

Am I being a huge wimp or something? I have still never managed to get through it! I just find it more of a chore than a pleasure to play.

There's some good points of course...like when you're in the room and you look through the spy hole of your door and walter's eye is right up there staring back at you, that nearly made me jump through the roof and throw the controller at him LOL And I love the song from it, Room of Angel, I actually used it in a concert I did, made it into a duet with me and another female voice. And I quite liked the apartments, with really weird stuff stashed away by everyone. (Apart from that blimmin doll he leaves you!). And who doesn't love the hospital?
i must admit, i didn't enjoy The Room as much as the previous SH's but it had it's moments :lol: i agree completely about that false sense of security you get at the begininng when you think you're safe when in the apartment and i think that was cleverly done how slowly it becomes haunted and builds the tension. What really freaked me out was when i looked through the hole in the wall and that robbie the rabbit doll was pointing at me :shock: on the down side i found the controls a bit frustrating and having to back track was annoying, i finally managed to complete it but it took me ages cos i kind of lost interest and didn't play it again for a while
Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym.

~ Stephen King
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Post by PyrmidHeadPwner »

I hate this game. Luckily, I found it for 2 bucks at a not-so-local EBgames. I'm at the part after the second subway visit, going down the circular staircase thing, but I doubt I'm going to finish it. Eileen's giant face in the Hospital scares the crap out of me, but I love the Robbie Doll in her room.
zz guy
Just Passing Through

Post by zz guy »

the room is a good game.
sh was trying to make some differences. that's a good try. :D
zzz
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I'd try playing it again. This is actually how I feel about Origins. As far as The Room goes, you're not alone with having trouble beating it. It took me a few weeks to beat it (thank god I was on summer break when I was playing it) for the first time. I ran out of health stuff, in the first half I thought the room was my safe haven and treated it as such, then halfway through when the hauntings started I started fearing the room lol. That was when I ran out of health stuff lol. I then resorted to my Codebreaker for a little help. After beating it, I tried playing again without the Codebreaker and I made it... With me, I just need to run-through a game once or twice then I got it. Playing it all the way through just once is worth it, the storyline's great... Things really start coming together in the last hour or so, so watching the boring bits kinda pay off. So yes, I'd say try it again.
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

Yes...the pointing bunny and the big Eileen head freaked me out too! LOL As did the telly suddenly coming on.

I'll follow your advice and give it another go once I've finished with ME. I hear that a lot, that the storyline is really great. There are definitely parts of the story that had got my attention before, but maybe you're right, maybe it needs to all come together. Maybe I'll be a wimp and play on easy! LOL
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Lol, playing it on easy doesn't necessarily make one a wimp. It's a little harder than the others action-wise. (I ALWAYS play this one on easy lol). But if playing on easy makes one a wimp anyway, I proudly admit it :D
Asterion
Just Passing Through

Post by Asterion »

If you find the difficulty on easy still a little heavy, what you can do is when you die - instead of reloading your last save - use the Continue button - the difficulty is supposed to adjust itself accordingly (if the manual is to be believed).
It is probably the hardest of the games in a lot of ways, but there are some tricks you can use.
Find a decent strategy guide - there are some on this forum and others on http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox/919555-sil ... -room/faqs.

Some basic points to consider:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
#1 Save Every time you go back to the apartment.
#2 Don't worry about Eileen getting hurt - you can save her on another playthrough.
#3 If Eileen is slowing you down by fighting creatures you want to run from - unequip her weapon - you don't even need to let her have one.
#4 Many monster fights you can run away from. The only reason to start a fight with a non-boss ghost is if he is directly blocking your path and you can't get around him. For some reason the sniffer dogs seem less aggressive if you walk by them - doesn't always work, but sometimes you can just stroll past them.:?
#5 Try to Master the Sidestep and Jump-back Manoeuvres!!!
#6 The Wall Men on the Elevators can be dodged and ran past if you watch their movements closely. The Wall Men at the end of Building World (mark 2) - pick one to attack then charge up your Axe and let them have it when they come in reach - if they all react to the hit you have found the right one to kill - keep hammering at this one until it goes down. If the others don't react choose the next one and try again. The identity of the right one is random, so you just have to try your luck.
#7 Learn about the special properties of certain weapons:
a: The Rusty Axe has an awesome power attack if you fully charge the weapon - during the attack 'animation' you are temporarily invulnerable and it gives you extra reach.
b: Find the Stun Gun in Water Prison World (check the FAQs for directions) - both the doubleheads, patients and rubber faces (the monkey ones) will go down with a single Stun - then just stomp on them before they get a chance to get back up. The Stun Gun is not much use on the Mothbats or the Sniffer Dogs, though. Make sure you have another weapon.
c: The Paper Knife seems pretty lame at first, but its charged attack is very quick to use and it will interrupt the attack cycles of some of the faster enemies (like the patients). The Broken Bottle is fast also, but it lacks the power attack.
d: The Shovel has strong power attack also (with extra reach).
e: Some people like the Pickaxe, but it is difficult to master and you don't find it until pretty late in the game - results may vary for you (of course).
#8 Save the Silver Bullets and Swords of Obedience for the Boss ghosts - There are enough Swords for all the main ones - Cynthia, Jasper, Braintree and Desalvo. I would not suggest wasting a Sword on any of the other ghosts (Maybe the last Sword you find if you are very keen). Save the Silver Bullets for the harder bosses - I usually use them on Desalvo and Braintree - just make sure that you have a sword ready to pin them down as soon as possible. Take and wear a Medallion when you are travelling round in the other worlds - especially for the Boss fights where you don't have a spare Silver bullet.
#9 Don't worry about picking up all those golf clubs - they take up valuable inventory spaces even after they are broken. wtf
#10 Just avoid The Man in The Coat (prior to the final confrontation) - you can get him down, but only for a short while - don't bother!
#11 Find the spots (there is usually one in each world) where it is safe to leave Eileen - so that you can do what you need to do without having to worry about her.
a: At Subway World leave her at the top of the ladder and only come back for her when you have done everything else.
b: In Forest World run to the Wish House Area - then run from her until she is sufficiently far behind you that she does not come on to the next map. Do this for each corner of this world. Don't worry about the translations - you can hear them another time.
c: In Water Prison World go into one of the cells with a hole in it and jump in - she will not follow you (you can even spy on her - from the observation area in the middle)
d: In Building World leave her in one of the elevators and climb down the ladder - she will not follow you down ladders.
e: Apartment World is the trickiest, but when you get to the ground floor she will just stay there (whether you like it or not) - you will soon be completely free of her;)
#12 Don't worry too much about the hauntings in the apartment (many of them will just go of their own accord eventually) - just keep a clear/safe path from the bed to the trunk and the save spot. Don't take the shabby doll from the Man in the Coat - you don't need it
#13 Just take a favourite melee weapon (the guns take up too many slots with the ammo - slots better reserved for healing items) and as much healing items (ampoules or medikits) as you can carry to the final fight - don't use your ampoules or medikits before then - the drinks should suffice - you shouldn't need anything more than the health drinks during the main part of the game (until the apartment stops healing you shouldn't even need them - just nick back and heal up if you are injured). Try and master sidestepping if you want to get through the final battle without too much trouble (see #5) - don't bother about rushing to save Eileen (you can still finished the game if she makes it to the middle before you finish the fight.
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

Wow! So many good tips! Thanks!

Funnily enough, just talking about it again in all this detail has made me want to go pick the game up again! LOL It's given me renewed determination! Thanks!
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
homgitsmike
Just Passing Through

Post by homgitsmike »

I gave up at the hospital, I agree that the game was a chore to play. Don't see anyone as a wimp for giving up on it though.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I wasn't terribly fond of The Room the first time I played it (stupid limited inventory), but it grew on me as I gave the story some thought and read about it here on the forum. Give it a chance, and good luck!
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

Thanks!

Was thinking about doing a bit of a marathon....1, 2, 3 and then 4, maybe I'll be all Silent Hillified that I'll want to get immersed LOL
Asterion
Just Passing Through

Post by Asterion »

Was playing again last night after thinking about the subject and I forgot another handy trick:
If your enemies are standing in a line (like the double-heads at the end of the Water Prison World you can shoot multiples with the same bullet (it travels in a straight line through each enemy and continues onward into the next one... etc.).
(If only you could put on some conga-line music and get them to form a line.) ;)
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

LOL! And it's a shame the swords don't work like that too....ghost kebabs! ;-) Thanks!
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

its a really great game, but if you think its difficult, dont try playing on hard mode. i couldnt get past the first sniffer dogs in the subway lol.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
silentprincess
Just Passing Through

Post by silentprincess »

i did it on easy, and i couldnt even get passed the first level which probably makes me a wimp. but those goddamn ghosts were hard to get past, and i ended up dying all the time. otherwise i would say it is a good game :oops:
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

LOL I remember not being able to get past the start on hard too! As an SH veteran, I got all brave and thought 'no, I can do this on hard, I know what I'm doing!', about ten minutes in I was dead and stuck LOL So I started again on normal. But I think on this attempt I'll try easy...because I'd really like to get through it for the story if not the achievement LOL
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Yeah the room IMO is the hardest and possibly tedious silent hill game, but it's still my third favorite silent hill game. It took me forever to beat it when i first played it(i was a lot younger and i refused to use a strategy guide for my first time) Still it had some great scares and apartment hauntings were pretty creepy(I made the mistake of taking the doll my first time playing) Eileen was such a damn pain though, I don't care what weapons you give her she always made it so much harder.
mimee
Just Passing Through

Post by mimee »

I have this game and I got to the Building Complex then I had to do a fresh install of windows and kept my save files - put them back after i had Win 7 up and running.. and they dont work... nothing shows UP!!

So i have to start the game all over again... Well to be honest isnt a freaky as the previous games.. SH1 SH2 and SH3 and one of my big time favorites 0rigins made me really jump a few times always always.. on top of the chair.. about to snap and run lool.

But SH4 the only down is the limited inventory and THE BIGGEST mistake they did and the one thing I HATE the most about this game is those flying ghosts that you CANT kill except you kinda hold them in place with one item which is unique... but if theres more than 1 ghost.. wtf are you gonna do and you have to research the apt with 2 of those around.

makes the game annoying when i get to a point with those ghosts.. But besides that the game takes you to the good ol' puzzles like the water prison which is a VERY nice puzzle and area.. When you get there you feel your playing a Silent Hill game..

But yea give it a try :) i will re-start the game today and beat it.. im such a huge fan of this series that knowing i never beat this one.. pisses me off ;p gotta beat it. :D
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Post by PyrmidHeadPwner »

^ It doesn't get scary till' you're at the Hospital.