Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Oct 2017

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: The mother stone, Nahkeehona?

Missing since: 23 May 2004
Notes left: 233
Last seen at: Proud citizen of Portlandia.
(I looked through the stickies and about 3 pages of posts in this section and saw no mention, if it's been brought up I am severely sorry and will commit an act of seppuku upon myself)

I've been recently playing through this installment again for the first time in a few years, and thought this vague mention of the "mother stone" Nahkeehona, which was worshiped by the natives of the region as an object of great power and was used by the natives to communicate with the dead, was something of interest. Honestly it's something I overlooked years ago when I first played through the games.

What I wanna know is: what are your guys thoughts on this rock? Could it be linked to the origins of the incredible power that the grounds of the town Silent Hill possess? Has it been mentioned at all in any other games (i don't believe it has, and I played 'em all)? Is it a topic worth revisiting in future installments?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: The mother stone, Nahkeehona?

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7963
Last seen at: Nowhere
I don't think this stone was mentioned in the other games.

It might come of as a surprise but one could argue that this stone could be Walter's creation.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
^Could be.
But it could also exist in the actual forest on which Walter's "Forest World" is based upon.

I always thought it was indeed a remain of the things the natives whorsiped.
As such making it a really interesting object in the Silent Hill Universe.

I'm really hoping on a refference about the "town's original special power" and the natives, on a future game.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It's just some big ass rock that some Native Americans deified. It happens alot, y'know.

Subway Guard

Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
AuraTwilight wrote:
It's just some big ass rock that some Native Americans deified. It happens alot, y'know.

If we theorised Silent Hill with that attitude, then we would not know shit about it.
I thought you were supposed to be one of the first people to know that.

Missing since: 27 Aug 2010
Notes left: 2249
Last seen at: The Rabbit Hole
It always reminded me of the rock in Europe that people swear Cronos actually threw up back in the day. (He swallowed it because he thought it was Zeus...yeah....)

But I think it really existed in the woods surrounding Silent Hill, and I think the NAs considered it sacred. I guess there just wasn't a reason for them to elaborate on it.

Thank you for understanding. <3

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21367&p=674128#p674128

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1234
I think this theory can be touched upon and fleshed out further in future games...since SH itself was based on ancient indian burial grounds, certain artifacts like the mother stone can possibly be used to expand on certain aspects of the town or what the natives might've used this stone for or their reason's for worship...

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
If we theorised Silent Hill with that attitude, then we would not know shit about it.
I thought you were supposed to be one of the first people to know that.

I disagree; Silent Hill isn't the fucking World of Darkness where every minor thing has world-shattering magical consequences. The town is just a place where beliefs, delusions, and things that aren't true become true, and that property didn't properly exist until Alessa wrecked everything. Some Native Americans worshipped a big rock because they thought a spirit was in it (basic animism), and when the Order assimilated their beliefs, they took to the idea of inventing a ritual that could embody God in inanimate objects, like rocks, or apartments.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
SH is practical. They take things they need. - a part of the "real world" - rocks, religion figures.. etc.. and edit it so it pleases their neccessity; ex.: Walter's neccessity for his mother (assuming she's dead/sleeping) -- rock: comunicate with the deads.

Subway Guard

It had hundreds of candles around it.
It had something to do with Jasper's ghost appearing close to it.

Deleted.

Last edited by Mephisto on 16 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

I can totally see Jasper lighting a bunch of candles, smudging some sage, and praying to the devil. Mwahahahaha.

Actually, slightly off topic....I always thought that Jasper's main problem (besides really liking chocolate milk and being a hippy j/k) was his apparent spiritual beliefs. Why idolize the devil? He wanted to be a spiritual person, but he liked the personification of sex drugs & rock-n-roll. Satanist confuse me, especially leveyists.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19398
Last seen at: #lfk
>Why idolize the devil?<
Who said he "idolized the devil?" His friends were interested in the occult and so were fascinated by the native religion from which the Order's beliefs derived, but that doesn't mean he's a Satanist.

Hell, I'm a Theology student and I'm most interested in the origins of Satan. Does that mean I worship Satan?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

^yeah....you read WAAAY too much into what I wrote. As usual.

Can we not do this tonight? It's getting old. It's pretty obvious I was making fun of some of the stereotypes they threw onto Jasper.

RESPECT

You make no indication you were making fun of anything. You only said you had a problem with "his apparent spiritual beliefs." You don't want to be misconstrued, make yourself clearer.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Ok, I can appreciate clarity and communication, but you go to the opposite end of the extreme spectrum on that one. You expect people to have a thesaurus right next to the computer....and an English college professor on speed dial.

Your very first entry in this thread was "correcting" someone's view point, too. See where I'm going with this? If you can get ME of all people to call you the grammar police, you might wanna ease up? Pretty please? And while I'm on the subject....why the hell are you too lazy to use the regular quotes? You make my brain asplode. ASPLODE.

Do I have to specify in every entry that I'm just making an observation? Do I have to specifically put "This is just something I thought...no biggy?"

But on an on topic note...How many things do you have in common with Jasper? I doubt he took it as a religious study. He seemed like the type of guy that would try to meet the devil and be all emo about it.

Quote:
His friends were interested in the occult and so were fascinated by the native religion from which the Order's beliefs derived

Actually Jasper became fascinated with the SH religion when he met "The nosy guy" a.k.a Joseph Schreiber.

Before that, he and his friends liked the occult because it was a "cool" thing.

RESPECT

>You expect people to have a thesaurus right next to the computer....and an English college professor on speed dial. <
I expect people to have a better-than-bad grasp of the English language in order to convey their thoughts effectively. You don't have to be a genius.

>Your very first entry in this thread was "correcting" someone's view point, too.<
My first post was questioning your asseveration.

>.why the hell are you too lazy to use the regular quotes?<
It's not laziness. If you can't understand >this text< is a quote to which I'm responding, well—there are other issues at hand.

>Do I have to specify in every entry that I'm just making an observation?<
No, but you can at the very least indicate what you're writing isn't meant to be taken seriously so as to avoid this confusion.

>He seemed like the type of guy that would try to meet the devil and be all emo about it.<
According to the Victim Files on the now-defunct Silent Hill 4: The Room Web site, Jasper was terrified of the idea of meeting "the devil" (Walter Sullivan). He even ran away after the confrontation with him, after both his friends, Thane and Bobby, began screaming, "Help me!"

>Actually Jasper became fascinated with the SH religion when he met "The nosy guy" a.k.a Joseph Schreiber.<
According to. . . ?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Quote:
According to. . . ?

A theory that I saw ages ago. It was probably fan-fic but boy, it was an interesting read.

RESPECT

All we really know about Jasper is from the game and the Victim Files. Thane Martin's profile reads,
Quote:
Thane liked to hang out with Bobby and Jasper, who shared his interest in the paranormal. They seemed to be fascinated by Silent Hill, and its eerie atmosphere. One day they overheard a conversation about someone being compared to the "Holy Mother" but who could also be a devil from a church in Silent Hill. They heard them say this person was now at Pleasant River University. Thane and his friends could not hold back their curiosity and decided to sneak into the college.
Similarly, Bobby Randolph is described as "a student and horror fanatic."

Joseph Schreiber and Jasper only met once, as far as we know, and it would have been long after Jasper's confrontation ten years before the game begins with Walter Sullivan (or, "the Devil"). So, Jasper's fascination with the occult began when he was much younger, before he turned 20.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.