Eric Bossick (Henry Townshend VA) interview.

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Agent of God
Subway Guard

Eric Bossick (Henry Townshend VA) interview.

Post by Agent of God »

Not much, but I noticed an update over at Silent Haven.
Here's the interview: http://silenthaven.tumblr.com/
We are still here...
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re: Eric Bossick (Henry Townshend VA) interview.

Post by simeonalo »

Eric Bossick: I don’t think video game characters tend to have much character development do they? But I appreciate the increasing trend to move deeper with games, as they become something close to cinema, but an interactive cinema.
WHAT?!?!?!?! This paragraph in response to a basic "Why did Henry have no emotion?"
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

It's a shame that the interviewer didn't ask some better questions. Those are like the standard by-the-numbers questions I would expect him to be asked.

Regardless, it was a nice read. Thanks for the link, Agent!
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Yes it was kinda short...
But a SH4 update (well kinda) is always interesting.

I wish they'd asked more too.
We are still here...
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

pretty meh interview, I wanted him to explain or defend why he gave such an emotionless voice
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

This person was one of my least favorite voice actors in the series. Heck, I prefer the guy for Harry.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

so dull i like it
Youma Taisan!
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

I liked Henry. Seeing as how he was intended to be a hikkikomori, his quietness suits him fine. He reminds me alot of me. So I guess I can relate to him alot. Especially his photography hobby says alot about him.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

simeonalo wrote:
Eric Bossick: I don’t think video game characters tend to have much character development do they? But I appreciate the increasing trend to move deeper with games, as they become something close to cinema, but an interactive cinema.
WHAT?!?!?!?! This paragraph in response to a basic "Why did Henry have no emotion?"
Well it's obvious he hasn't played many games, which is fine, because that's his opinion... And the way I interpreted this was to be why Henry didn't really "change" over the course of the game. Also, he could very obviously be talking about games in the past -- it wasn't the usual fare to have games with characters that were remotely fleshed out and three dimensional. Fuck, even now you'll get just caricatures and shallow archetypes without any significant motivation in some of the more renowned series' -- see Shattered Memories.

Lastly, PIE!!!'s correct to say that Henry was hikkikomori-esque. Once you recognize that, his behavior is explained perfectly.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Wait....doesn't that term apply to those crazy old Asian men who live in the mountains or something? Henry never purposefully withdrew from his surroundings or anything.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Clearly that's not what it means, then. You should double check these things -- you ARE on the internet, you know.

Google searches provide a lot of information very quickly. Almost every word is a link of some kind, by the way.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
QuartzCrystal2233
Just Passing Through

Post by QuartzCrystal2233 »

I read somewhere that Henry was meant to have that calm personality because like that he would complete his rol as the receiver of wisdom properly(being in a blank state without taking care of his own problems or even emotions, just to be there quietly witnessing the facts that he had to know and thus achieve wisdom) but i'm not sure if it is canon.
Maybe that's why the game directors choosed Erick Bossick since he thinks that game characters don't tend to have much character development ? so he wouldn't bother to put much emotion to his voice and maybe that's what they needed.
but to me silent hill characters have a VERY complex personality they are not just random and that's one of the many things i love from this game.
lostdogs89
Just Passing Through

Post by lostdogs89 »

This is Mike from Silent Haven. I am the one who did the interview with Eric. I asked him a couple more questions in which he skipped over and decided not to answer. This was my first interview back when I first created Silent Haven. I wasnt getting much feedback from Silent Hill fans on what questions to ask so that's why it may seem a little dry. If you have other questions that are "better" You can let me know and I will try to get in contact with Eric again. However I will need more than a couple of questions. You can let me know either here, my Silent Haven blog or more preferably my E-mail, hardtoimagine89@yahoo.com as that is where I always check. Thanks
lostdogs89
Just Passing Through

Post by lostdogs89 »

Also you can see Eric was pretty vague on answering the questions...
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I don't know why people still don't understand Henry's role in SH4 and the neccessity of him to be... empty.

+ you can use the EDIT button, to avoid double-posting.
Last edited by mikefile on 19 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Henry isn't a hikikomori; he WANTED to leave his apartment from the beginning... He also has several photos that he took in outside places and he doesn't seem too afraid about leaving his apartment even though a misterious hole that randomly appeared in his bathroom...

Also, he doesn't looks shy when he meets the other people, maybe reserved; anyway he seems perfectly able to start a conversation with stranger people...