Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Oct 2017

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: I understand now

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 87
Last seen at: My house
For the longest time, I've been irritated how so many Silent Hill fans, not disliked, HATED the Room. I, on the other hand enjoyed it and I just couldn't see how lots of you guys could look at it with such disgust. But now I know why. The reason why I didn't understand was because The Room was the second Silent Hill game I ever played. In fact, here is the order of the Silent Hill games that I have played:

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Silent Hill 4: The Room
*Note: I only had an Xbox at the time when I played these two games.
3. Silent Hill 3

4. Silent Hill (currently)

and then I wanted to see the other endings of the Room. And once I started playing it, I saw the light. The gameplay was definitely not as good and those original elements of the Silent Hill atmosphere were not there (I.E. fog, normal place turning to the dark side, etc.)
However I do want to say that, I still don't hate it. I don't like it as much as the rest of games, but I don't hate it. Because the game can still get me to the edge of my seat. And I think most importantly, the best feature of the game I think, the storyline. It may not be the best put together but I still love how it acts as a subchapter in the series. And there are still those mysterious things that fuck with your mind in the game just like the rest. Now, some of you here would say that you weren't scared at all. I think that it all depends on how your imagination runs.
But yeah, I thought I'd just go head and express that.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Oct 2004
Notes left: 365
Last seen at: Toluca Lake
Silent Hill 4 was the second one I played and I found the atmosphere in that game to be a little more disturbing to me even compared to the(nightmare)Brookhaven in SH 3. I hated those ghosts so it was always hard for me to play that game.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Feb 2006
Notes left: 246
Last seen at: Canada
For me, SH4 will always by my favourite (unless SH5 rocks my socks off). Probably because it was the first SH game I played. I don't mind that it's not as dark as the other games. I love the graphics, and I love the story.

...are my screams just a whisper?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Aug 2005
Notes left: 56
Last seen at: North Carolina
The first time I played it, I adored it. Now I'm going through a second time and it isn't quite as great, but I still love it. I love the story and the characters, I love how you are never safe, and I love the general atmosphere.

It isn't my favorite, but I don't dislike it at all.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19398
Last seen at: #lfk
It'd be a great game if it weren't a game. I love Silent Hill 4, but I hate playing it.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Mar 2005
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Everett, MA
I thought it was the scariest in it's subtlety. It didn't come right out and say "dark corridors and bloody walls"...it just put hidden disturbing imagery and made you feel like you were in the matrix gone wrong or something.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
I've had SH4 for quite some time now and finally got around to playing it.
I can tell right off the bat it's not as good as the others, cause I'm still waiting for it to reach out and crab me, which it hasn't.
I'm enjoying it, but not at the same level as the privious three.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 87
Last seen at: My house
Yeah that's all I'm saying it was scary in a different way from the rest, the gameplay is kind of annoying but I still enjoy it. lol amazing you people the first I've seen to step and say positive things about the game lol

Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
It'd be a great game if it weren't a game. I love Silent Hill 4, but I hate playing it.

Exactly how I feel. I love everything about it except actually playing it.

My first run through, I saved it at Wish House area and didn't resume it unil 5 months later.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Yeah, Sh4 isn't terrible, it's just not on par with the other 3 games. The changes made to the game are what hurt the most. The storyline is the games saving grace... what's so sad is that you can see the potential there for a brilliant game, but things just didn't turn out as well as they planned.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
I love the story, the reference to movie, psychology, philosophy, myth, etc. behind it. I think SH4 has the most 'thought-out' storyline (though not neccesarily the most 'dramatic' like SH2). I have to agree with several others though, that playing this game is just not as fun as other 3, and personally it's because of limited inventory, health bar, etc. Yes, they can be regarded as minor changes, but they bother me a lot.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Yeah that health bar annoyed me the most. it kept reminding me that i was playing a videogame and made me feel like henry should've been webslinging or something.

i hope to god they don't put that lifebar back in any future games. I liked the idea of only being able to carry so many items, but didnt like the fact that you couldn't drop items. also, the first person view for the apt was nice as well.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Feb 2006
Notes left: 8
Last seen at: whatever part in hell all the queers go to.
i think the game is really cool given just it's originality. it's a really great idea. i kind of like the idea of a hole in my bathroom wall being a portal to all kinds of different nightmarish worlds. fantastic.

however, the actual controls and gameplay style, i'm sorry to say, just wasn't silent hill and the ghosts make me want to rip my hair out.

henry definitely has to be the hottest male SH character though. ha.

Post subject:

Having to constantly return to the apartment was the hassle. It broke up the flow of the game, and also felt like it took forever, having to look at those flashing holes constantly.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Mar 2005
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Everett, MA
You can skip the hole navigation scene...only the first one you have to watch cuz you're controlling it.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Feb 2006
Notes left: 143
Last seen at: Devon
i liked silent hill 4. it had a great atmosphere and i feel that the walter sullivan story was really good.