am I really the only one that's able to piece this together?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

origamifreak64
Just Passing Through

am I really the only one that's able to piece this together?

Post by origamifreak64 »

from the first game, there have been details from the stories that have been presented in a vague way, usually through scribbled notes or the look of the monsters. You have all been very good at piecing these things together... accept for in The Room? There is a major "twist" in the story that nobody seems to have realized, and it truly does make the game a Hell of alot better. ill give some clues from the game, but i want you guys to piece them together.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
1. We all know that the monsters in each game represent the main characters inner demons, right? so don't you think its a little odd that the ghosts of walter sullivans victims follows henry around? also, what about those two headed monsters?
2. investigate the shoes in front of henry's door, he will question if they are his or not. then, look for the person in the game that wears those shoes
3. when Henry first enters eileen's hospital room, she starts freaking out.
4. it appears that henry has had absolutely no connections, or relationships with anyone. ever.
5. whenever henry enters the hole and comes back to his apartment, it appears that he has "fallen asleep" now, consider the events that take place when he's "sleeping"
6. do you really think that the peephole in his room just "magically" appeared?
7. who was walter's 21st victim in the "21 sacrements" ending? usually, when killers do a ritualistic killing spree like the 21 sacrements, they like to make the last victims themselves.
im pretty much spelling it out for you. if you disagree, prove me wrong
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: am I really the only one that's able to piece this toget

Post by alone in the town »

We all know that the monsters in each game represent the main characters inner demons, right?
The foundation of your theory is incorrect, so the whole thing is probably wrong.
origamifreak64
Just Passing Through

Post by origamifreak64 »

and what would be incorrect with that statement?
alone in the town

In some games, the monsters and Otherworld imagery have nothing to do with the main character. Silent Hill 4 is one such example.

Also, #4 is taking the idea that Henry didn't talk to his neighbors (true) and blowing it into him being completely anti-social and cut off from human interaction (highly unlikely).
origamifreak64
Just Passing Through

Post by origamifreak64 »

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. the monsters in 4 most certainly reflected the main characters inner demons. in fact, the only times the monsters didnt was in SH1 (before konami came up with that idea) and in homecoming/ the movie (self explanatory)
origamifreak64
Just Passing Through

Post by origamifreak64 »

also, yes henry was anti social, and yes that is what the game is kind of about, but there is another side to it (as there always is)
alone in the town

origamifreak64 wrote:im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. the monsters in 4 most certainly reflected the main characters inner demons. in fact, the only times the monsters didnt was in SH1 (before konami came up with that idea) and in homecoming/ the movie (self explanatory)

You can disagree with me all you like, it's still the truth. The monsters and Otherworld imagery in that game derive from Walter, not Henry. The fact that the locations are all explicitly tied to Walter's past makes this obvious, as is the fact that the ghosts are victims of his killing spree.

And, no, Henry was not anti-social (or a sociopath). He just didn't talk to his neighbors. We have no idea about any relationships he has outside of the very small universe of South Ashfield Heights.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not to mention Walter created the world Henry and everyone else is experiencing...

And Henry goes out of his way to protect and save everyone he comes across in the nightmare...

And Henry isn't in the fucking room whenever people die...
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Whether or not Henry is a sociopath has already been discussed at length here. Spoiler: He's not a sociopath.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

And even if he was, he could still not be the killer. The game itself wonderfully explains that the whole thing is about Wally and that Henry is simply his puppet.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Damien? Is that you. . . ?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

1. We all know that the monsters in each game represent the main characters inner demons, right?
It is clearly stated that they are Walter's demons.
2. investigate the shoes in front of henry's door, he will question if they are his or not. then, look for the person in the game that wears those shoes
Joseph, the previous resident of the apt.
3. when Henry first enters eileen's hospital room, she starts freaking out.
She had just been beaten nearly to death, she was traumatized.
6. do you really think that the peephole in his room just "magically" appeared?
Joseph again.
7. who was walter's 21st victim in the "21 sacrements" ending? usually, when killers do a ritualistic killing spree like the 21 sacrements, they like to make the last victims themselves.
Walter had already taken his place in the ritual, he killed himself in prison, this is explicitly stated.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

This is hilarious because it's not even NEARLY as well-written and thought out as the Henry-murderer theory on TVTropes. I have half a mind to post it here.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
anni
Just Passing Through

Post by anni »

AuraTwilight wrote:This is hilarious because it's not even NEARLY as well-written and thought out as the Henry-murderer theory on TVTropes. I have half a mind to post it here.
Ohh, haven't heard of that one before, but it sure does sound interesting... :D
I wouldn't mind you posting it at all ;)
Monster wrote:
Joseph, the previous resident of the apt.
...you know, as obvious as it appears to be, I actually hadn't thought about Joseph being the owner of the shoes before :0 But it does sound very probable... *nods*
I just always found the context of Henry questioning himself if these were really his shoes and Walter's corpse in the hidden room being barefoot quite interesting... ;)
Last edited by anni on 19 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

There was an old theory suggesting that Henry and Walter had a "soul connection" but if you read too much into it you can clearly see that some of the things in such theory were made up.

And yes, like pretty much everyone said, the monsters from SH4 are Walter's.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Ohh, haven't heard of that one before, but it sure does sound interesting...<
It's exactly what origamifreak64 is suggesting in this thread—that Henry is Walter the murderer.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
anni
Just Passing Through

Post by anni »

^ Yeah, I had already guessed that. I just was/am interested in reading a more thought out and in-depth version of the theory as AuraTwilight suggested it to be.
(Not that I'd agree with it, but I do enjoy mulling over various ideas and point of views :)
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

The Adversary wrote:>Ohh, haven't heard of that one before, but it sure does sound interesting...<
It's exactly what origamifreak64 is suggesting in this thread—that Henry is Walter the murderer.
Oh, I thought he was suggesting a duality in his personality where there was the Henry stuck on the inner-demons side and the Henry (walter) doing the killings.
Either way, I have to disagree, OP.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Alright, it was requested, so I'll post it. Warning, TL;DR ensues like a motherfucker.

------------------------------------------

Henry IS the killer in Silent Hill 4.
Think about it here. Isn't it odd that all the people he meets wind up dying horribly? Isn't it strange that no one else can see these "Holes" he does? My theory goes like this:

In Joseph's notes he remarks that he dug up the grave of Walter Sullivan and found it empty. Does that sound like the action of a sane man?

This troper's opinion is as follows: Joseph, in fact, became obsessed with Walter Sullivan's crimes and the cult, prompted by Walter's spiritual presence. Joseph then began the killings all over again (You'll notice the killings stop completely until Joseph starts writing about them. In other words the resumption of the killings and Joseph's research on Sullivan started at around the same time)

At this point, much of Joseph's writing reads as the work of a deeply unstable mind. He's unaware of what he does when he's "Walter", only seeing the aftermath— just as Henry does. Finally, he takes his own life in horror, unwilling to keep participating, unaware that he is now a part of the evil that claimed Walter Sullivan.

Then Henry moves into the apartment building. Here's where things get complicated. It's possible that he learns of Walter Sullivan and indeed finds the corpse behind the wall BEFORE the events of the game. Henry is clearly mentally unstable. An introverted loner who likes watching his young female neighbor through a hole in the wall? If that's not a sign he's not all there, I don't know what is.

We also know he's been to Silent Hill before. He seems to think the trip was uneventful but I believe that his memories are false, just like those of James Sunderland— A cover to keep him from remembering what really happened. While there, he was touched by the darkness of the town and learned of Walter Sullivan, a rather notorious murderer (the Bundy or Gein of the Silent Hill universe).

The Hole doesn't in fact exist. He's not locked in, he's locked the rest of the world out. He clearly doesn't get along with people at all, evidenced by his lack of emotion (he's practically a robot) and so has sealed himself in his appartment with the diary of Joseph. The "Scraps" that are pushed under his door are in fact left there by his own hand. He "Rediscovers" them because his subconscious is trying to force him toward a revelation and show him he's not in control.

The places he visits aren't accessed by holes, but on foot. The car that we see in the "Forest World" is in fact the car he drove there in, hence its open door and proximity to him. He's driven all the way to Silent Hill, then blacked out once more. When he blacks out again he drives back there.

Then the victims. Cynthia's death is perhaps the most shocking, but it's heavily suggested that Henry has issues with women, given his voyeuristic spying on Eileen. When Cynthia teases him it causes some kind of break in his mind and the "Other" takes control (much like the main character of Lost Highway, a movie Silent Hill has referenced more than once). His brutal assault of Cynthia is motivated by his own sexual frustration (such frustration being a common series theme, see the monsters of Silent Hill 2). Her "Dying words" are all in his head, as she is in fact already dead. Think about it. Her last words are regret she never got to have sex with him? Unlikely. But Henry objectifies women; he's unable to see them as anything but sex objects, hence dressing Eileen in a stereotypical "nurses' outfit".

Jasper knows too much and is the only survivor of the Walter Sullivan killings. The "Other" prompts Henry to kill him but knows enough to wait until the time is right. He lures Jasper into the house (We don't see Jasper visibly enter the "Wish House" because the story is told from Henry's normal frame of reference and he won't acknowledge that he was who lured Jasper into the Wish House) When Jasper talks about meeting the "Devil" he's actually referring to Henry, whom he now recognizes as a sociopath. Henry is actually the one who sets him on fire and carves the numbers into his chest, but he externalizes it. It's easier for him to see Jasper commit suicide than admit that he's done such terrible things.

Incidentally, Henry can read the childish writing that he finds in the Forest World just fine. His "Other" understands that this is the bloody tale of Walter's early life and how he suffered during it. But Henry won't or can't accept that, and tries to block out all conscious knowledge of Sullivan and his crimes. He's in a psychic fugue state, unable to comprehend the reality of his situation. That's why Eileen can read the writing just fine: unlike Henry, she's not delusional.

Desalvo is a scumbag and, with Henry inheriting Joseph's knowledge of the Wish House, he would know all about the cruel, evil stuff Desalvo was involved with. The "Other" will want to murder him, but can't, because he's safely locked in a prison cell. Think about it. Desalvo is perfectly safe while locked away. Nothing has attempted to harm him. But the MINUTE Henry unlocks the door, the "Child Walter" manifests. On how Desalvo can see it if this is all just part of Henry's warped psyche: it's necessary to remember that Silent Hill has a way of manifesting characters' inner thoughts. The "Child Walter" is made manifest because Desalvo is linked to Walter's childhood in Henry's mind. Henry, having been directed by the "Other" to free Desalvo (who likely locked himself in the prison cell to keep himself safe). He then hunts him down and drowns him in the very room in which the other children were tortured. Henry then regains control and comes face to face with Desalvo's corpse. Note that Desalvo has no last words; because Henry had no emotional connection with Desalvo, his subconscious needed not craft a death scene for him.

Blacking out again, Henry returns to the apartment, where he sees more of his neighbor, Richard Braintree. More importantly, he sees him with Eileen, the subject of his unhealthy fixation. So the "Other" suggests the perfect thing to do... KILL HIM. Kill Richard, it tells him, and Eileen can be ours.

So he kidnaps Richard. All Richard's lines about coming through a "Hole" are purely in Henry's head, which is why Richard abandons him. Again, think about it. Why would Richard leave Henry behind? It's because he has no idea what Henry is talking about. He's saying things that Henry is hearing completely differently, his mind having substituted a different reality.

Note that when Richard encounters the "Child Walter", Henry sees the encounter from afar, in a lift. It is in fact Henry himself who Richard is speaking too, or rather "The Other". The Henry in the lift is Henry's normal personality. He views his split personality (the "Other") as Walter in his child form and views the interaction this way because he feels trapped. He's in a lift that looks like a cage, unable to make himself heard or seen. This symbolizes his personality being submerged and imprisoned. He can see what his "other" is doing but cannot stop them or interfere. The lift descending is a sign of Henry's original personality being further and further submerged. Much of what follows is all in his head. When he finally comes to see Richard he's already dying, but Henry only makes a half-hearted attempt to rescue him. Richard stutters about the 11121 man, but he's not talking about a phantom. He's saying Henry IS the 11121 man.

The final victim, Eileen, is the most important. Throughout the game we've seen how obsessed Henry is with her. He's clearly a sexually frustrated man, happy to look but unwilling to get near to people. His obvious discomfort when Cynthia offers him a "Special Favour" speaks volumes. The message "Better check on your neighbor soon!" is his subconscious trying to warn him of what his split personality wants to do. He leaves his apartment, something he can suddenly do with ease, and proceeds to confront Cynthia in her apartment. She's horrified by his advances on her, as she barely knows him. In a rage, he brutally assaults her. When his conscious mind takes over he is horrified by what he's seeing and so has to create an external source. The "Child Walter" is his scapegoat.

Now here is where it gets even more complicated. Henry is said to be the "Receiver of Wisdom". Some take this to mean learning of Walter Sullivan's crimes but I believe it actually means he's meant to confront what he's become. That is why he's taken to the various sights of his crimes: to be shown the truth.

Think about it. In the Hospital he regresses to an inhuman state and rips the heart from a corpse, disgusting himself so much that he once again manifests the "Other" as Walter. However, he's now beginning to lose his grip on his innocence, and so manifests Walter as an adult. Children in Silent Hill have previously been used as a symbol of innocence (e.g. Laura from SH 2), and his "Other" now appearing as an adult is his subconscious slowly helping him understand his corruption.

The nurses Henry sees in the hospital are, in fact, real people whom he gleefully kills, once again demonstrating his issues with women (as with James). He makes them appear monstrous because he view women as threatening and unequal to himself. Similarly, in one room he encounters a giant version of Eileen's head, making sexual moaning sounds. That's all he sees Eileen as: a pretty face, a sex object. Her personality doesn't matter as he's never bothered to learn anything about her. He's interested only in her looks and sex.

When he finds Eileen, the interaction between them is, of course, entirely imagined. In fact, Eileen is his captive from this point on. But he, in his desperate need for companionship, essentially turns her into his sidekick in his mind. Think about it: Would a badly injured woman, barely able to walk, having just suffered a horrendous assault, gladly leave hospital with a man she'd never met to trawl horrific locales? Of course not. The entire "Daring duo on an adventure" scenario is what Henry WANTS his life to be.

From here it only gets worse. Eileen's injuries appear worse throughout the game because Henry is repeatedly assaulting her, and possibly doing far worse. The disjointed nonsense she speaks is his own mind beginning to break, his brain buckling under the sheer weight of his delusions and conflicting personalities. Here is where it all begins to come together.

Some find the repeated revisiting of worlds boring. However, I believe it wasn't a case of filler, but the design team trying to show us something important. What happens when Henry revisits these worlds? The ghosts of the characters killed appear. What do they do? They try to kill him. Now, I cannot claim to know how a ghost thinks, but I find it unlikely they would seek revenge on a perfectly innocent man. The reason all the various spirits assault him is that he is in fact their killer. Remember that the creatures of Silent Hill's "Otherworld" are summoned by the protagonists' subconsciouses. Thus, Henry's subconscious is trying to show him his guilt by summoning these vengeful spirits into the material world. Cynthia is the most telling. The image of a girl in a pale white dress with long black hair is a famous Japanese image (made so Stateside by films like "The Grudge" and "The Ring") and in many stories she's a woman greatly wronged by a man. Which man does Cynthia attack? HENRY. This is a sign that he bears the guilt for what happened. And how does Henry immobilize said spirit if he chooses to? A "Sword of OBEDIENCE". Henry wants control, craves it. He literally pins down his prey— forces them to stay where he wants them. In the Forest World we again see a sign of Henry's fractured psyche. The entire Wish House has burnt down. The question is: why didn't Henry remember that? He blacked out and awoke in his bed. How did he get from point A to point B? The Other took control and got him there, that's how. We also see how Eileen can read perfectly the writing Henry can't. This is because, as mentioned earlier, Henry is out of touch with reality. The "Walter" that attacks him and Eileen is in fact, HIM. His "Other" takes over at various points, causing him to attack Eileen, and when she tries to defend herself, he rationalizes it as "Walter" also attacking him. The apartment world is also telling of Henry's mental state. He knows, from the notes he gathered, that Walter thought it was his mother. So how does Henry see it? Rotting and corrupt. The Apartment World is Henry's critique of the female gender. It's the "Other" that seizes the umbilical cord from Frank Sunderland, desperate to cling to its identity versus Henry's own. By now, the "Other" and Henry are in a war for control. The Other causes adult Walter to manifest and tell Henry the tale of him meeting a young Eileen and being shown kindness by her, merely to taunt Henry, as if to say "Even this monster was shown more affection by Eileen than you ever were, Henry. You're pathetic".

Henry is really starting to fall apart at the seams now. His Other continues to taunt him, moving his shoes around, turning the TV and radio off and on to show Henry that he can take control at any time, that Henry isn't in control of his own actions. The "Ghost Henry" that he sees outside his apartment is symbolic. It's his mind trying to warn him that his original personality is dying, being drowned out by the monster that is the "Other".

Eileen escapes from him at this point and he rationalities it as her being "Taken" by the "Other". In a rage he smashes down the wall and re-discovers Walter's body, the body Joseph dug from the ground. Henry has, in fact, known of its existence for some time. The system of wires around it is perhaps the most disgusting part. I believe it was a sign that Henry was "Feeding" the corpse the blood of his victims, as a symbolic way of "Feeding" the "Other" and thus helping it grow in strength. Note that the items on the table are the ones James Sunderland used to resurrect Mary in one possible ending. In fact, James is referenced several times in this game. Even without the other callbacks, it's a blatant hint, tying Henry to another deeply disturbed, delusional individual.

The "Always Watching" voice that Henry starts hearing around this time is the voice of the "Other", sharing his body. Indeed, his other personality is always watching Henry, and is taking pleasure in taunting him. Henry recaptures Eileen at this point, having finally been driven mad.

The climax of the game is, in my opinion, actually Henry's final confrontation with himself. We see Eileen, or at least his vision of Eileen, stepping down into a huge pool of blood with an orb in the center, while a massive beast looms over her. The "Beast" represents Henry devoid of his original self, fully controlled by the "Other". Personally, I feel this is not Henry wishing to kill Eileen, but in fact his own subconscious warring over his desire to rape her and "Sacrifice" her innocence. Henry clearly objectifies Eileen throughout this scene; the blood and the helpless, powerless woman (muscular, bestial man looming over her) seem to be the ultimate expression of that.

The "Walter" Henry sees is his "Other". It's him, trying to tell himself what he cannot bear to know. He even calls Henry the "Receiver of Wisdom" and actually says "It's You, Henry", but Henry refuses to acknowledge the horrible truth. Henry then begins his fight with himself, a mental battle played out as a physical one. Once again we see Henry's sexual frustration. To defeat the beast he must violently and repeatedly PENETRATE it with phallic spears.

In my opinion, the real ending is the most bleak one. Henry believes he has defeated the Beast but in giving in to rage he has simply strengthened the "Other". Henry collapses to the ground, clutching his head in pain and perhaps, finally realizing what he truly is, as "Walter" laughs triumphantly.

Henry rapes and murders Eileen before returning to his apartment. There, he finally finds the spirit of Walter, still a child. Walter as such may have never even been guilty of any of the crimes. He was compelled to commit the original ones in Silent Hill by the "Red Devil" mentioned in the Silent Hill 2 news report. The later crimes were committed by Joseph and Henry himself.

That is why the final scene is of the child Walter lying in the room and the adult Walter dead. Henry has seen his guilt and realized what he truly is. The adult Walter is Henry, a representation of how he sees himself. The child Walter is the spirit of Walter Sullivan, finally at peace, no longer controlled by the town and no longer forced to share an apartment with those similarly affected.

Another clue: At one point, in his apartment, Henry opens his fridge to find "Slabs of flesh" that later disappear. He's been storing pieces of his victims in his home. It's notable that Henry doesn't have any great reaction to this discovery, almost as if he won't let himself be shocked by it. Their subsequent disappearance is his "Other" taking over and disposing of them.

Then there's the blood all over his shower, not from a supernatural source but from him washing himself off after a slaying. The "Hole" in his cupboard is actually a place he is keeping Eileen, which is why the sound of a woman sobbing is always heard whenever he goes near it. It's also the reason for all the blood around the room at various points.

I thought Joseph was the one who poked the hole in the wall? (Of course, Henry uses it inappropriately, but still.)
Joseph is just one more facet of Henry's mania. The ghosts are brought into being by his warped mind (Because in and around Silent Hill thought and reality are more or less one) that's why their twisted versions of their true selfs. It's all part of Henry's Sullivan obsession that, like Joseph before him, lead him to commit copycat crimes.
The endings, since they are based on how much damage has been done to Eileen and how many hauntings remain in Henry's apartment, are a clue to the real endings. In Escape, Eileen escapes, and Henry (his insanity suppressed along with the hauntings) doesn't go after her. In Mother, she still escapes but Henry tracks her down at the hospital due to still being significantly influenced by "Walter". In Eileen's Death, Henry kills Eileen but triumphs over the Walter persona by suppressing the hauntings, and in 21 Sacraments, Henry kills Eileen and gives in to his insanity.
I doubt the Other wins out if Eileen is saved. I would suggest that if Eileen doesn't die, then Henry wins out over the Other no matter what, whereas if Eileen is killed, then Henry regains control of himself only after the Other is already finished with its bloody work, and thus is no longer really fighting for control. The hauntings would represent Henry's mad desire to see the twenty-one sacraments completed. Thus in Escape, Eileen doesn't escape, Henry lets her go, because he has completely defeated the Other and abandoned his desire to see the twenty-one sacraments completed. In Mother, Henry doesn't kill her and, presumably, triumphs over the Other, but he continues to obsess over and dominate (or at least stalk) Eileen, even if he isn't physically hurting her anymore, which is represented by Eileen moving back to the haunted apartment shown in the Mother ending. Henry still wants to complete the twenty-one sacraments, but has achieved enough control that he's no longer willing to kill for it. In Eileen's Death, Henry frees himself of the desire to complete the 21 sacraments, but only after the Other has already slaughtered Eileen. Henry himself is the only sacrifice who escapes, the Other leaving only after it's already finished killing everyone other than itself/Henry. In '21 Sacraments,' the Other wins out completely, killing first Eileen, then Henry through suicide.
Right, for the Mother ending, I didn't mean to imply that he killed her at or after the hospital, just that the suppressed (or gone but still influential) Other was still causing his obsession. If he makes sure to keep Eileen safe but doesn't remove all of the hauntings, it implies that Henry's protection of Eileen would be strong enough to keep him from harming her despite the Other still having a degree of influence.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

I skimmed through the above post and i don't agree with this theory at all.

"Henry rapes and murders Eileen before returning to his apartment." Wtf? It's good that people like to think of different theories but sometimes people get it so wrong it's almost laughable.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King