Locked Door in Wish House

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Locked Door in Wish House

Post by The SH Champion »

I was playing Silent Hill the other day and I came upon a locked door in the Wish House. It is to the right and up the stairs. If Walter made the worlds, why did he lock this door? What is it? I have been trying to figure this out for years.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: Locked Door in Wish House

Post by Mephisto »

Probably a dead end...
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Haha but why would he lock it?
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=143
This room was visited by Joseph, actually, which leads to the followers' and the children's quarters. Joseph finds the Crimson Tome there.

I am not certain why this room is locked in-game. Perhaps, you were meant to play as Joseph and find a key to unlock the room. There are several things that were scrapped from the final version of the game that I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Burning Man wrote: I am not certain why this room is locked in-game. Perhaps, you were meant to play as Joseph and find a key to unlock the room. There are several things that were scrapped from the final version of the game that I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them.
Has anything been found in that area by curious fans? :?
The SH Champion wrote:Haha but why would he lock it?
Could be any number of reasons; it was an unimportant area for Walter, it held painful memories for Walter, Walter didn't want Henry getting in there, game play device (every horror game needs random locked doors)... *shrugs*
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Perhaps it's locked so we fans can ponder about it in forums like these? -le gasp-

Nah, it totally symbolizes Walter's unwavering desire to find his mama and how he wishes to lock himself up in her nice, sturdy walls forever.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

It's just a game mechanic to further limit you in where you can go so you can focus on where you're supposed to go. Nobody really knows what's in there. But I was disappointed at not being able to explore more of Wish House.

That's what made the Forest World so cool at first. You heard about this terrible, dogmatic orphanage run by members of the cult. Getting a chance to explore this place in the next Silent Hill game would have been great giving you all sorts of stuff to look at and a bit more about their history. Much like SH3 did for the cult's activities when you were exploring the chapel.

But the Wish House segment was so half assed in SH4 that it felt like a wasted opportunity confining you to one room with barely anything to investigate.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Perhaps it's locked so we fans can ponder about it in forums like these? -le gasp-

Nah, it totally symbolizes Walter's unwavering desire to find his mama and how he wishes to lock himself up in her nice, sturdy walls forever.
Kinky. No, wait, that's the wrong word... Disturbing. :shock:
Augophthalmoses wrote:But I was disappointed at not being able to explore more of Wish House.
I agree. One would have expected it to play a little more importance in SH4 than it did, considering he grew up there. Instead, we just get a shit load of the surrounding area. :? Yay? Besides, we explore other places that held some importance to Walter, so why restrict Wish House? Oh well.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Augophthalmoses wrote:It's just a game mechanic to further limit you in where you can go so you can focus on where you're supposed to go. Nobody really knows what's in there.
No, this is definitely something different. The door is locked like you were supposed to find a key to it, and not the other ones that say it has a broken lock or something.

I'm quite sure there's a thread somewhere with scrapped content like the multiple channeling stones. One of the items was a key with 4S on it described as a "Trial Edition" key (transcribed from Japanese).

So, perhaps there was a trial edition where a key opened that door.

But we have level viewers and such these days, so perhaps someone more knowledgable can see what's on the other side of the door.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

If you want to see the inside with a level viewer then you should ask nur_ein_tier. She knows.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

I'm quite sure there's a thread somewhere with scrapped content like the multiple channeling stones. One of the items was a key with 4S on it described as a "Trial Edition" key (transcribed from Japanese).

So, perhaps there was a trial edition where a key opened that door.

But we have level viewers and such these days, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can see what's on the other side of the door.
In almost every instance, if you can't see a room in-game, it's not there. If you aren't meant to see it, there's no reason for the devs to waste their time modeling it.

The key says "4s Churchyard."
Stuff is discussed further in this thread: http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11462

supposedly says it's an oil for exorcisms. can't find the other pics of the hidden junk.
Mephisto wrote:If you want to see the inside with a level viewer then you should ask nur_ein_tier. She knows.
Unfortunately, the level viewer doesn't work very well with sh4.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

@nur_ein_tier:
Thanks for trying. You're still the best.
nur_ein_tier wrote:If you aren't meant to see it, there's no reason for the devs to waste their time modeling it.
It's something of a chicken-and-egg problem, though. Many times contents are created but later decided to be scraped. The 4S key that you mention has a description that it's a "trial edition" key, so I was thinking that along the lines of E3 or TGS, there must have been a trial edition of the game.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I too wish we could've explored Wish house more. It would've been interesting to have found some expansive history on the organization, and even tho the house itself wasn't that big, they could've crafted it in a way that was bizarre.

Kind of like how the game had that long hallway in the hospital with those wheelchairs...clearly Wish house wasn't as big as that, but having something along those lines where the level itself is actually bigger than Wish house itself would have been a nice touch and it would have given them the chance to give us some background on the landmark.

Alas if the door isn't open, it's most likely nothing there and it's just to show that the kids had some housing quarters to go to. I'm sure the dev's really didn't plan on having that door open to a new area,...it would've been nice tho if they did.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I don't know why but I always suspected that behind the locked were stairs to the basement that you visit in the second half of the game; anyway, WIsh House must be warped because it is a building that is supposed to be the shelter to several children, it MUST be a lot larger...
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Burning Man wrote:@nur_ein_tier:
Thanks for trying. You're still the best.
nur_ein_tier wrote:If you aren't meant to see it, there's no reason for the devs to waste their time modeling it.
It's something of a chicken-and-egg problem, though. Many times contents are created but later decided to be scraped. The 4S key that you mention has a description that it's a "trial edition" key, so I was thinking that along the lines of E3 or TGS, there must have been a trial edition of the game.
True dat, but I meant that things never meant to be seen weren't created. There's a lot of artifacts from scrapped stuff in various editions of the games, though. I just don't feel like that particular door is probably one, though I can't know for sure.

I've never heard much about an SH4 trial edition. Wish I knew what the key was for, though.

But as others have said, Wish House seemed like a missed opportunity. They could have put a lot more cool stuff there.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube