moment that freaked/scared/unsettled you? (Spoiler)

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Deafnproud
Just Passing Through

moment that freaked/scared/unsettled you? (Spoiler)

Post by Deafnproud »

Did anything from the game that really unsettled you, or scared you or freaked you?

Not necessarily just the hauntings.

I stopped playing at Forest World 2nd time because hated being chased by Walter haha but from start to that point, two events that really unsettled me;

When Henry woke up after Richard was electructed (forgive me for spelling mistakes), I checked the window and saw from Richard's room across the building, Richard's corpse finger was pointing at Eileen's room (she was next in the Scarament ritual after Richard). I wasnt expecting that at all I was like wtf? Whats it pointing at? Eileen's room?? Shes next, oh no!! (I played completely blinded)

Second one was, when Henry checked in the hole to Eileen's room after Eileen was taken to hospital after Walter attacked her, Robbie the rabbit, usually just sit on Eileen's bed with head down, was positioned straight to you, looking at you and pointing at you as to say 'you're next!!' That really freaked me out haha!

If Robbie the Rabbit was closer to the hole than on Eileen's bed and pointing at you with blood on Robbie it would unsettle a lot more I reckon!

What about ya? Cynthia's manniquin? The hauntings? Certain victim's death (Richard's was brutal to watch) or things a character said?
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: moment that freaked/scared/unsettled you? (Spoiler)

Post by Mephisto »

The hauntings. Plenty of them made me jump, the first time I saw them. Wasn't really expecting anything.

The demon babes, above the "dump all your shit here" chest, was the worst of the lot. It was creepy AND annoying at the same time.

...I always pick Walter's voodoo doll to intensify the hauntings though :P
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Off the top of my head...

A lot of the imagery on the spiral staircases. Some of it is hard to see but it's so goddamn eerie. Especially the farther you go.

Many of the apartment hauntings were creepy as hell. The crying children in the wall. The dead cat in the fridge meowing. Seeing yourself dead through the eyehole. Just a fuck of a lot of nope all around.

Eileen's giant head trying to sound way too sexy.

The worst ending was disturbing as all fuck as well. Hell, Walter's whole thing about the apartment was just not okay.

Richard's ghost form as a dial up modem was pretty creepy too.

Silent Hill 4 as a whole was pretty fucked up and creepy, but as a Silent Hill game it was kind of tame. It was more weird than anything. Absolutely love it though.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

The initial encounter with Cynthia's ghost probably creeps me out more than anything. I make sure to use a sword on her.

And the otherworld version of the apartments with the halls that are a little reminiscent of SH3 is the most unsettling portion of the game to me environment-wise, with the hellish red walls that seem alive and the sounds.

The water prison was disturbing in a less overt way. You kind of have to think about it before it becomes eerie. The prison is one of my favorite things about the game.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I should have definitely mentioned the apartments the second time around as well. Probably the freakiest point of the game and one of the creepier points of the series tbh.

Finding Walter's body in the apartment was pretty unsettling and gross too.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Oh yeah, the Water Prison with the fucking Twin Victims! That level still gives me the creeps.
Haunting Hero
Just Passing Through

Post by Haunting Hero »

Mephisto wrote:Oh yeah, the Water Prison with the fucking Twin Victims! That level still gives me the creeps.

I hate those twin monsters and the prison too, the puzzle there drives me nuts and I hate going around a corner and boom a twin monster right up in face.
◇Some people feel the rain, others just get wet◇
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I didn't find the water prison itself very creepy.

But the whole CONCEPT behind it was next level fucked. Like holy shit not okay.
TenderMercy
Just Passing Through

Post by TenderMercy »

Two things stick out. First on my first playthrough I was just looking out the window like 'Doop-de-doo, what are my neighbors up to?' when Andrew's head came falling fast past me. It made me jump. And the crazy thing is, I've played through SH4 multiple times and have NEVER gotten that specific haunting again. I get his head floating slowly by when I'm away from the window, but never falling quickly while I'm looking out. I've never heard of anyone else getting it either.

The other thing that freaked me out was the first time with Walter chasing you. I run like Hell through the door and think 'Okay, I can take a breather' but nope, I hear the door creak open and he's after me again. I was used to other games where a closed door is an impassable object so it really threw me for a loop and I panicked.
...sounds like kittens...
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

water prison, when you are inside the cells you listen someone's steps coming from the center room, you even see when that person is looking at you through the peephole... That was so scary to me...
Sonicnewboy
Just Passing Through

Post by Sonicnewboy »

I think it's in the subway. The first ghost you encounter scared the bejeezus out of me. I remember playing it as a teen at my brother's house, all alone, and I was so scared after that.
J. Quinzelle
Just Passing Through

Post by J. Quinzelle »

That stupid stick falling sound in the subway bathroom... it's so stupid, but it startled the shit out of me. I inspected that bathroom in every nook and cranny for the source of that sound.
"Dance
Dance like butterflies
Shadows appear right before my eyes
Sounds echo the absurd
Hard to explain something that I heard"

http://www.shyofinterruption.com
PSN: Interrupted
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

J. Quinzelle wrote:That stupid stick falling sound in the subway bathroom... it's so stupid, but it startled the shit out of me. I inspected that bathroom in every nook and cranny for the source of that sound.
What's hilarious is I totally agree. Fucking thing gets me every time and I've played that game probably like 40 times over the years.
gutlessfatso
Just Passing Through

Post by gutlessfatso »

Hospital RNG and One Truth RNG can be a nightmare for speedrunning lol

Akira's OST during the Water Prison level, I think he uses a common dark ambient technique of using infrasound (really low rumbling) which has been proven to make people feel extremely uneasy and even sick at times. No wonder that part messed with me so much.

Joe Romersa's home made video for Akira Yamaoka's "Cradle of (the) Forest" was pretty scary with all the Windows Movie Maker effects hahaha (just kidding Joe, you know I love you :P )
eddie have you gone nuts?