Walter's Suicide and Resurrection

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Walter's Suicide and Resurrection

Post by Burning Man »

I'm certain fans (myself included) spent a lot of time trying to figure out a logical explanation for Walter's resurrection. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough evidence to confirm one way or another.

The Resurrection of Walter Sullivan after he committed suicide with a spoon may not have been intended to have an explanation based on grounded evidence. Instead, the intention may have been to emulate the mystery regarding the Resurrection of Christ in real-life and the many theories claiming that the Resurrection never happened.

The July 18th entry of the Red Diary postulates a possible explanation regarding Walter's resurrection. My theory is that Walter never died at the prison. It may have been someone else who committed suicide. Either that, or the person the police arrested was not the real Walter Sullivan.

Here, Joseph's theory mirrors the Imposter Theory, where it was someone else who died at the cross. Another theory of interest is the Swoon Theory: Jesus was still alive, but barely, when he was brought down from the cross and buried.

The true answer to Walter's resurrection may be that he was simply resurrected, period. Even this mirrors the Christian's beliefs.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Walter's Suicide and Resurrection

Post by The Adversary »

It seems to me the most logical solution is Valtiel. Valtiel was snuck into Walter's subconscious, which is how even the innocent people he killed were considered "sinners" for the 10 Hearts ritual. The victims had to be sinners, and with Valtiel being judge, any person it elects to kill is therefore guilty. So, with Valtiel being inside Walter, the people he kills are therefore considered guilty.

Therefore, when Walter kills himself as the 11th victim, Valtiel exits Walter's subconscious and is then able to resurrect him.

My guess is that it is also meant to parallel Christ's resurrection, specifically that both are pierced and both are crucified. I'd go so far as to suggest Walter was resurrected three days after his death in the prison to even further parallel Christ.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Valtiel is associated with resurrection, but the materials I've read seem to allude to resurrecting only the Mother of god. If Valtiel was responsible for Walter's resurrection, I would have appreciated a note saying that the angel resurrects its host or the Conjurer.

Speaking of which, I don't think it's ever explained why Heather sees Valtiel. Valtiel isn't the same as the other monsters that are manifested from someone's fears. Makes me wonder if Alessa went through a similar process to embed Valtiel into her subconscious. It is at least established that the town can manifest things from a person's subconscious.

I don't know if Walter was resurrected three days after his death, but the game does mention that the apartment tenants heard strange things "a few days later" after they saw the Man in the Coat. That could be three days, I suppose.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Valtiel is associated with resurrection, but the materials I've read seem to allude to resurrecting only the Mother of god.<
If we consider the whole Mother of God/Father of God concept, then I don't see there being any reason to exclude Walter from being resurrected by Valtiel after it left his subconscious. Of course that's always been the problem with SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM—many of the critical details are exclusive to supplementary material, some of which is not available to non-Japanese-speaking/-reading individuals.

We know the ritual conducted on Alessa is called the Ritual of Resurrection. We also know Valtiel is the angel associated with resurrection. I don't think it's a stretch to think the three are intertwined, especially considering the robed bodies hung up on rafters in SILENT HILL are in reference to Valtiel.

However, we know from SILENT HILL: ORIGINS that Flauros/Hauras is responsible for Alessa's pregnancy, not Valtiel.

I still think the most clear reason for Walter's resurrection is Valtiel, considering it was present in Walter when he killed himself. I think the parallel to Christ being entombed and reborn 3 days later is pretty on point with Walter killing himself in prison and being entombed in his 11/21 grave, then reappearing at the apartments "a few days later."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

The "Father of god" concept was interesting for a while, but I feel if the developers wanted us to associate the Conjurer to that concept, they would have just called him that. Like Dahlia directly claims that "[her] daughter will be the mother of god." Or, at least associate the Conjurer to a serpent as the "Birth" painting explains that the Man offered it to the sun.

Even when we draw parallels to Christianity, it's pretty clear that they drew inspiration from Virgin Mary for the Holy Woman. However, it's difficult to match the Conjurer to Joseph. By all other accounts, Joseph was a regular man.

I suppose if Flauros was responsible for Alessa's pregnancy, it could match with the Christianity concept of the Holy Spirit.

I wondered at one point if the Conjurer might have an equivalent in St. Nicholas, Doctor of God. Whether the Doctor of God would also be reincarnated indefinitely by Valtiel, we may never know.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Rewatch the ending of SILENT HILL: ORIGINS. The demon is directly responsible for Cheryl’s creation.

And Walter isn’t a parallel to Joseph, so don’t know where you’re getting that from.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.