Is henry a sociopath

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Is henry a sociopath

Post by Kenji »

That would require a lot of bullets. I mean, a lot of bullets.

I always assumed Joseph first tried using the pickaxe on the wrong side of the apartment.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

Joseph was desperate. He glared at the gun clenched in his hand, and prayed fervently that his one last bullet would be enough to pierce the wall. He aimed, took a deep breath, and shot. The sudden glimpse of hope that submerged him when he realized his plan had worked instantly turned into a horrified stupefaction when he saw Eileen bleeding out to death through the tiny hole. :lol:

Isn' t it mentioned in-game that Joseph made that hole with the same pickaxe that Henry used later to get to Walter' s body ?
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^That would make sense, yeah.

I was just going off of the round holes and the way the scatter was, but the pick axe makes more sense.

@Kenji-Damn. What kind of invincible dry wall to they use in your town, anyway? :D
I think I could shoot through my apartment wall with, like, three or less bullets. I don't remember what kind of handgun that was, either, though.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Only the best. :wink:

But, really, I was thinking of the spread of pockmarks in the wall. That's several clips-worth of unloading, there.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

My new favorite reason we can't diagnose Henry as a sociopath: they're changing the clinical definition of sociopathy and psychopathy! They will now be diagnosing it on a dimensional axis rather than a check list.

We have no background history of Henry. He may love his parents dearly and have plenty of friends, but not spend any time with his neighbors. We don't know, and we have no way of knowing. We can't make any kind of clinical diagnosis without a case history. We can't conduct a clinical interview with a script. We can't administer a Myers Briggs or an MMPI to pixels.

I present an alternative theory for Henry's strange lack of personality, based not in psychology but in game design:
Someone recently suggested that Henry is meant to be blank and background-less so that the players can easily picture themselves in his place. It was meant to be an immersion factor. When you think about it, since SH is often described as the character's personal hell, it was a clever attempt. However, it was flawed, and the result was just bad voice acting and countless theories that he's stoned/stupid/crazy. I like this idea. Everybody's always all "NOTHING IN SH IS ACCIDENTAL," and often argue that the voice director could only have been stupid or deaf to miss Henry's total lack of affect. This idea takes that into account rather nicely, I think.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

alone in the town wrote:So was Harry's in the first game, but nobody uses that to suggest that he's mentally retarded.
1. More is expected of voice acting in a ps2 game.

2. Henry's was worse.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:1. More is expected of voice acting in a ps2 game.
And, as a whole, Silent Hill 4's voice acting is far superior, both in quality and delivery, than was the case in the original.
2. Henry's was worse.
Highly unlikely. Harry's voice acting is legendary for all the wrong reasons, and nobody ever quotes any goofy engrish lines of Henry's.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Just to back Lain up, when I lived in an apartment I didn't even know my neighbor's names, much less associated with them, but I had tons of friends and chilled with them and my family. I lived there for about three years and hardly ever would I say anything besides "Hello" to anyone on my floor or in my building.

This and the other "what's wrong with Henry?" threads are just over analyzing a case of bad voice acting and I definitely agree that we know next to nothing about Henry because he's, in essence, a vehicle for us to experience Walter's story. Walter's the main character of Silent Hill 4, not Henry.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No one hang out with xoxsnoof. I took psychology in high school and she's totally a sociopath.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

)'8 You're right, Aura.

I was lying all along!
I had no friends, I was definitely alone. Just like Henry. We probably need medication or something.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

xoxsnoof wrote:Just to back Lain up, when I lived in an apartment I didn't even know my neighbor's names, much less associated with them, but I had tons of friends and chilled with them and my family. I lived there for about three years and hardly ever would I say anything besides "Hello" to anyone on my floor or in my building.

This and the other "what's wrong with Henry?" threads are just over analyzing a case of bad voice acting and I definitely agree that we know next to nothing about Henry because he's, in essence, a vehicle for us to experience Walter's story. Walter's the main character of Silent Hill 4, not Henry.
Oh wow, I'm just like you. I lived in an apartment and never even met my neighbors, except when they make loud noises and I have to knock on their door to tell them to stop.
I've lived there for 2 years and I'm moving out to another place. But I don't know anyone who lives in that apartment.

I do go out on the weekends after doing all my college homework to go out to have lunch with a friend. But never anything to meet neighbors.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I'm.....the only person here who knows their neighbors?
I feel so fucking old sometimes. :P
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Well i know my neighbors, but i don't like em.(well not all of em' im friends with a few but one of them needs to quit parking their damn car in front of our curb by our house)
xhoney_vanityx
Just Passing Through

Post by xhoney_vanityx »

Highly unlikely. Harry's voice acting is legendary for all the wrong reasons, and nobody ever quotes any goofy engrish lines of Henry's.
Lol, No one ever quotes my goofy Engrish, and mine is quite memorable. Not to mention my accent is atrocious.

Anyways, back on topic...I think it's sort of bold to say that he's a Sociopath. Maybe he's a bit of a hermit, but I wouldn't go as far to say that he's a Sociopath.
SHF

Post by SHF »

xoxsnoof wrote:)'8 You're right, Aura.

I was lying all along!
I had no friends, I was definitely alone. Just like Henry. We probably need medication or something.
There is no medical cure for socio/psycho-pathy.
Guess you guys are fucked lol.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Having lived in the same room with Henry for years, I can say that he's not a sociopath. He's just the silent, tall dark and handsome type. :roll:

Honestly, the characters in this game really don't have much personality. I think that when they created Silent Hill 4, they really put EVERYTHING into the story. Sadly the developers didn't think to put more life into Henry. I don't think he's that damn dull as others perceive him as. He goes "ew" and has that look of disgust from nastiness of the otherworld. There is emotion! I hear it in his voice. (okay not every line, but I hear it) His connection to Eileen, I felt it. To me he's just a normal guy, but I am seeing the issues that you guys have with him the more I play the game. He's a single guy, in an apartment by himself, and he's not old.. so yeah maybe a bit more on the shy side, but I don't see the qualities of a sociopath. Something that I learned in psychology, males, the unmarried and non-religious are more likely to face depression. Maybe he's just a bit depressed? I mean, I sure would be.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Henry's just a normal lonely-type of person (if there are such?). He does not show any signs of sociopathological behaviour. He seems a lonlier guy with not so many friends and not so many emotions. But that's the way he has to be. That was the developer's goal. He has to be more withdrawn- so his emotions wouldn't burst through inside the Otherworld (as we know.. neverless the main "keepers" of the Otherworld, like Alessa or James, some other souls also manage to break in, thanks to their intensive emotions, like Angela or Eddie) making enough room for looney Walter. That's why he's the Receiver of Wisdom- he gets wisdome, his loneliness finally gets a purpose.
Brian J Flesh
Just Passing Through

Post by Brian J Flesh »

I think in a way him, Harry, and James (well we all know who james is) are. They all are very calm about a lot of scary Sh*t. Not normal.

----------------------------------------

I have also had many one sided conersations with them and they are very silent. Its just creepy.

Please don't double-post. Use the Edit button.
"In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. I guess I really don't care if it's dangerous or not. I'm going to town either way."-Silent Hill 2.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Brian J Flesh wrote:I think in a way him, Harry, and James (well we all know who james is) are. They all are very calm about a lot of scary Sh*t. Not normal.
That's the principle of being an avatar. We're supposed to be freaking out in their place. It'd be kind of distracting if the character freaked out and stopped responding to your input every few minutes.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

alone in the town wrote:
Brian J Flesh wrote:I think in a way him, Harry, and James (well we all know who james is) are. They all are very calm about a lot of scary Sh*t. Not normal.
That's the principle of being an avatar. We're supposed to be freaking out in their place. It'd be kind of distracting if the character freaked out and stopped responding to your input every few minutes.
Agreed/ It helps with submerssion. If there was a cutscene after every corpse I'd be distracted and I wouldn't freak out, mainly cuz they would freak out for me. I don't think Henry is a socio path. he's litteraly the average depiction of the average american male. SH4 isn't Henry's story. It's Walter's. the same way SH:SM isn't Harry's story just because you play as him. It's Cheryl's story for the most part.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.