James's clemency (Spoilers).

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

After Maria dies in Brookhaven Hospital, when he's standing outside, in the dark, on the steps.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
PeachySakura24
Historical Society Historian

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Do you happen to have an audio snippet of that, St. Thomas? I believe that he said that, I just can't believe I never heard it before. And I STILL haven't finished Kingdom Hearts 2 yet, so my PS2 is occupied. :)
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

It isn't an audio clip. Like how Harry would comment on things, but there'd only be text on the screen? That's what this is.

(And yeah, I'm playing KHII, too. So.. fucking.. addicting. Now I know where SquareEnix focuses all their talent.)
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

It was written on the screen? Ok, does anyone have a screen shot? Maybe I'll go hunt one down.
The problem with KH 2 is the Jiminy objectives! I want the secret ending sooo bad and I can't finish all the objectives.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Yeah. Once you step out of the hospital, James "says" it. I don't have the ability to take screenshots, nor do I have a save 'round those parts, but trust me (or us). It happens. It's easy to forget, what with the rest of the craziness of the game, but it always stood out to me because my brain can collect totally useless stuff like that. :P
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Oh, I do believe you guys! I just can't believe I never picked up on it, but you are right, it probably just got filed away under "whatever, James" in my head, what with everything that just happened to Maria. :)
Hitman
Just Passing Through

Post by Hitman »

Terrific, well thought out post!

Nice one Krist! :D
Nosce Te Ipsum

Still getting to grips with these games...Lovin' it!
The Lost Carol
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Artaud Theater (Can't be at the hotel all the time, you know...)

Post by The Lost Carol »

That... was... beautiful. Can I give ya a hug? The points you made make sense, and I think you made a wonderful argument for James' goodness. I, too, am sick of James getting flack as a selfish / sexual monster. While James definately has his faults, he is a good character. And I feel your arguement firms up some questions I've thought about on James' character. No matter what t3h 10s0rz say, excellent theory/arguement/rant (and bonus points for you for using literary references in your arguement. Awesome.)
I run, 'til the silence splits me open,
I run, and it puts me underground,
But there's no regret, and no roads left to run...
~Linkin Park, No Roads Left

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2896396386_6d2d92733b.jpg[/img]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

You guys are too sweet. :') I didn't expect this to keep popping up every few weeks or so with praise. It really makes my day, I promise you.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

It was a really great post, Krist. :) Don't be so surprised that everybody loves it.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

nice going Krist, I also always thought James wasn't bad guy despite ppls theories.
BTW dont you all think Silent Hill 2 is one of biggest intelectual joyride in any video game , or even ever , despite SH1 is core of all , SH2 is my favorite part , Krist exactly explained one of many fascinating plots in this game :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'll agree with this, I thought it was very unfair the way everyone reacted. I know for a damned fact that if i were in mary's (or probably james's) position, i'd expect it.
mrow
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by mrow »

Yeah, I agree on James being a basically good guy, despite what he did. I think you have to play the game to get a real sense of sympathy for him, though, because a very simple plot synopsis I gave to my family made them have some skepicism on the subject of James essential goodness.

Me: Man, Silent Hill 2 is a great game! It's very scary and it's all about this guy who goes to a mist shrouded monster filled town looking for his dead wife, unaware that he himself actually killed her...

Various members of my family: Wait, wait, wait. This guy killed his wife and he's the games protaganist? Whatever. Go have fun playing your wife murder simulator.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

When my mom saw me playing the game, it was during the video tape scene in the hotel. Before it played I asked her, "What do you think of euthanasia?" And she told me her feelings, and I explained to her what happened and what the video meant/showed. She had a greater appreciation for the game after that - previously she just equated it to something I would play to scare the crap outta myself.
BloodRedLion
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by BloodRedLion »

I can't believe I've never read this before. Certainly one of the best arguments I've seen on this site in my time here.

I don't think it's the least bit fair to say he's selfish and as for all those "vows he took at the altar" stuff... you try living with someone who has a sickness. Someone you love very dearly who you know will not get better and just lays there in a bed waiting to pass away. Watch them slip away day by day and see how you feel about it.

This, inparticular, struck me as masterful. As a child, I watched my sister go through suicidal depression, bipolar disorder and mild psychotic tendencies. During her Senior Year of high school, she layed in bed, immobile, all day. She would have the TV on, but she wouldn't be watching it--she'd just sit there, staring into the distance.

Seeing that, watching someone you love slowly waste away into nothingness, absolutely annihilates the soul, and I would imagine that it's tenfold worse when it's the person who you think to be your true love. (Thankfully, after many years of complacency, my sister finally decided to fight and eventually recovered and is now a pre-med student at Tuft's University in Boston.)

Also, bonus points for citing The Scarlet Letter--one of my favorite books of all time!
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I too saw this scenario play out in my family, with my mother and father. My mother used to be very large, and eventually got a bypass surgery and lost a lot of her weight. Trouble was, she didn't stop. It was her goal to weigh 88 pounds. And once she got there, she kept going. For many years she weighed less than 70 pounds, and it was thanks to anorexia and bulemia. She looked skeletal and suffered major health problems, finally entering an eating disorders clinic at Johns Hopkins in 2001. She made it through the therapy and was released, but went right back to it after. She spent the next three years doing this, killing herself basically, and I could see what it was doing to my dad, who loved her but wasn't really strong enough to stop her. He told me on several occasions that he considered leaving her, because he didn't want to see her die like this. Finally, she ended up at some 58 pounds, and was so horribly sick that my dad rushed her back to Baltimore and got her back on the program. This was just days after I joined here, I remember making some of my first posts while in Baltimore visiting.

Anyway, she got through a second time, and I guess that she was scared sufficiently, because she now weighs some 130 pounds and is very healthy considering how long and how badly she damaged herself.

Point is, I don't think my dad would have ever put her out of her misery, as I don't think it would have gotten to that point, but I do know he was a hair away from giving up all hope, and it helps that my dad's personality is a lot like James. I got Silent Hill 2 not long after Mom's first escapade in the ED clinic, and the parallels had a long time to become apparent to me.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Wow, BloodRedLion and alone in the town, I am sorry to hear about such terrible things you had to go through. I am also glad to hear that both stories turned out for the best.
I have an aunt(through marriage) who is bi-polar. She is allergic to lithium, and for a long time nothing they gave her helped. She would kick my uncle and my then 11 year old cousin out of the house for days at a time, and they would come stay with us. My uncle had a very James disposition going on during those times. Then later on she would snap off on my mother and my sister during one of her lows, telling them both they didn't deserve to have children because they were crazy and that they didn't exist to her any more. She told my mom that my rebellious teenage years were all because she was such a horrible mother and she wished the police had taken me away from her until I turned 18. And my uncle took her side against my mother, his own sister. She is doing better nowadays, but it was just one explosion too many and my mom just doesn't trust her to get close to her again. But sometimes, when we do go over there, my uncle has that "Where's the pillow...." look in his eyes. So does my mom when she's over there, come to think of it.
amphreded

Post by amphreded »

BloodRedLion and Ryan, it's good that your loved ones are now living for the best.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]
AdjectiveRyan
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

This is an extremely good theory. Even though I disagree with it, I will bow before those who type out their entire thought on the subject...me however will just say that I do believe that James was being selfish (I watched my grandma die). The thought passed through my mind of just taking one of her pillows and putting her out of her misery but I thought that it would be selfish of me to take her away from not only the rest of the people that loved her, but also herself. I think every person wants to remain on earth until the last second that they can be. Except for those who commit suicide and end up being selfish themselves.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

A selfish person acts for their own favor. James's deed works out nicely for the both of their wishes, but I'm not going to push that too much. Agree to disagree, and all that.
Last edited by Mis Krist. on 09 Nov 2007, edited 1 time in total.