Monster Symbolism ?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

BoozerDawg
Just Passing Through

Monster Symbolism ?

Post by BoozerDawg »

Ive searched around and couldnt find anything to do with the symbolism of the monsters in SH4, even the quick links + translated memories site didnt have anything. Anyway.......

What is the symbolism of each monster in SH4 ? I just didnt really get any of them, they all appeared more..........japanese horror, than nightmarish creations (That 2 headed baby thing for example) ? Thanks in advance.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/BoozerDawg/SH_Sig.gif[/img]
Killer Raven

Post by Killer Raven »

After SH2, the symbolism of the monsters has become gradually harder to understand.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The 2 headed Baby is Billy and Miriam(?) Locane, the only victims that don't appear as ghosts. the toadstools/whitestools (Things growing out of ground) Have somthing to do with Children/birth (they look like fetus' attached to umbilical cords.)

The others are a mystery.
easteralex
Just Passing Through

Post by easteralex »

You can know in http://she.silenthillfever.com you can find out more there!

Update:it is she. not www.!Sorry for the mistake!
Last edited by easteralex on 22 May 2006, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://upload8.postimage.org/176858_e0de4d4faf6070e030b51a7fadd6f281/james_mary.jpg[/img]
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Personally I see the Monkey People (forgot the names) as the way Walter sees Men/Adult males, as two faced, thieving, primitive idiots.

The Patients I guess are the way he sees other mothers/females and who he views them in comparison to his own mother, ugly, devoid of the ability to bear they're own children, and faceless.

The dogs are I guess supposed to be there because of a dog that scared him as a young boy....so I guess half of the creatures in the game are a product of both Young Walter and Adult Walter....which I guess is why there’s the old type of enemy and new type....or maybe it because they really are new I don’t know...never given any of the monsters in the games much thought.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

Now you've struck upon my favourite subject! Here's how I see them:

Sniffer Dogs - I think it's significant that SH4 is the first in the series to have distinct male/female forms for its monsters, and this is one of the examples. It most likely reflects Walter's fixation on his parents and their different roles. In this instance I think the Sniffers are a combination of his memories of the pet store massacre and aspects of the umbilical cord motif that pervades the game. The long straw-like tongues the Sniffers use to feed are suggestive of both an ambilical cord and a penis, so the male and female sides of the equation.

Hummers - Being a cross between a bat and a mosquito these things look essentially like a flying hypodermic needle. Perhaps a combination of his infant exposure to needles etc while he was in the hospital and the later forays into the forest at night as a child.

Wall Men - Considering these things are joined to the walls it probably has a lot to do with Walter's view of the room as his mother. They reflect the state he would like to be in, ie connection to that mother. The wall men are a twisted parody of a foestus attatched to its mother within the womb.

Tremors - Like the Hummers, difficult to pin down. Perhaps a simple reflection of the slugs that infested the water prison, and which Walter was exposed to as a child. More generally they have a primordial, undeveloped quality, like an embryo in the first stages of development. One step above the primordial ooze that we all evolve from. There are two distinct varieties, red and blue, again probably male and female.

Toadstools - Two varieties. One obviously depicts an embryo attatched to the end of an umbilical cord, the other resembles perhaps the cord itself or a penis, especially the tip of it.

Gum Heads - Again male and female. The female ones have a writhing growth on their chest which resembles a baby, while the male versions have a more violent nature in that they often brandish weapons. As suggested they probably reflect Walter's view of adults, as gibbering idiotic things, the females rampantly producing babies, the males violent and abusive (like his own father).

Patient - Being sewn-together to form a female image they likely respresent Walter's attempts to patch together an idea and a reality of his mother. Also significant is that we see him feeding on the belly region of one of these composite creatures, in a parody of the manner and place that he derived nutrient from his real mother.

Wheelchairs - Perhaps a simple reflection of Walter's time in hospital, or maybe an intrusion of the original Alessa aspects of Silent Hill into Walter's own version of it.

Victims 07+08 - Manifestations of Billy and Miriam Locaine, but persisting with the motherhood theme a twin umbilical cord can be seen dangling between the two heads. Perhaps their innocent nature as children prevented them from becoming revenants like the other victims.

Bottoms - I think it's significant that these only appear after Henry's confrontation with Joseph, and that they consist of two muscular arms (similar to above), but instead of two heads there is only one hanging down underneath, just as Joseph did from the ceiling of the room. Again, perhaps because of his earnest intentions of good will in attempting to expose the cult, Joseph was prevented from being used by Walter as the other ghosts were. As such the Bottom and the Victim 07+08 may be manifestations of Walter's abiding resentment of these three innocents.

Greedy Worms - Huge umbilical cords which link together the 'realities' of Walter's mental landscape (eg the room, forest, subway etc).

An alternative explanation as to why B/M Locaine and Joseph appear as monsters rather than ghosts, like the other victims, lies in the reverse of what I stated above. It seems very possible to me that the victims may not be intending to assist Walter at all, but stop him by killing Henry and therefore preventing the ritual from being completed. Joseph, on the other hand, places his hope in allowing Henry to survive and finish Walter completely. B/M Locaine may be exempt simply because they were too young to consider any of this. Thus the monsters we see based on these three, as I suggested, is coming from Walter's perception of them, just as the other monsters do from his hopes and fears.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I always thought that the wheelchairs were an indication of illness in the characters, mental or otherwise. or perhaps a feeling of physical inadequacy.
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

You mentioned something about Alessa because she stayed at a hospital. But I think it's because of Walter's stay even though it was when he was a baby (most likely a premee). Also he got beaten quite a few times. Sometimes people sustain injuries from those situations and use wheelchairs.
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You mentioned something about Alessa because she stayed at a hospital. But I think it's because of Walter's stay even though it was when he was a baby (most likely a premee). Also he got beaten quite a few times. Sometimes people sustain injuries from those situations and use wheelchairs.
Ya thats what i thought to
Dude DEADRN i love your sig lol it makes me think of the nurses having a dance off lol
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

I mentioned Alessa simply because I can't think of any direct link between Walter and wheelchairs as a symbol. The humidicribs and other natal-related things we see throughout the hospital world make sense in relation to Walter, but I can't see how wheelchairs do. Besides the animated wheelchars you come across in various worlds, the other significant appearance of one is in the Forest World with the burnt dummy sitting on it. The parrallel with Alessa is pretty blatant, and the location is also related strongly to her (Wish/Hope House).

I think that, although Walter is the central figure of this game, the nature of the cult is still always concerned with Alessa in the background. Maybe as Walter brings his 'ressurection' of the mother closer to fruition his psychological world begins to merge with that of Alessa (the mother herself).

I'm not saying that any of this is definitely or should be accepted unquestionably, it's just how it presents itself to me.
Live the nightmare conceived by Adam Crowley:
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

Isn't there the Holy Mother sect and a different one? SH veteran care to remind me?
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The Sect of the Holy Woman--Dahlia, Claudia, &.c
The Sect of Valtiel--Jimmy Stone
The Sect of the Holy Mother--George Rosten, Toby Archibold, Walter Sullivan
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
ShiningSugar14
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShiningSugar14 »

The Necronoir wrote: Also significant is that we see him feeding on the belly region of one of these composite creatures, in a parody of the manner and place that he derived nutrient from his real mother.
I thought he was the one placing them together. He was feeding?
You will suffer... as we suffer.
Concret
Just Passing Through

Post by Concret »

I dint want to start a new topic so ill write it here.

Can someone tell me what the hauntings mean/is/represents?
Heres what i think..

Closet Ghost - Walter as a kid

Cat in refdrigirator - Has something to do with that other cat that got killed in the building?

Tv screen - Some kind of demon ( or Walter uppside down? )

Random Blood - Something to do with Walters birth

Well.. Theese are the only ones i can think of now that has meaning :|
[img]http://i12.tinypic.com/661r15l.jpg[/img]
(Thanks alot LanceS133 for amazing sig! <3 )

[b] “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” -Terry Pratchett [/b]

[b] Touch eyeballs to screen for cheap laser surgery [/b]
Killer Raven

Post by Killer Raven »

The hauntings don't really have a meaning (well most of them)

Proof of this is the clock, or the chair... Why would they have a meaning?
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

I thought he was the one placing them together. He was feeding?
He puts them together in the sense that they are products of his mind, not that he sits there sewing them together, if that's what you mean. And I mean feeding in that he was literally eating the belly section of the one splayed out on the hosptial bed.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hm, i dont remember that part. I HAVE to replay.
vampiress
Just Passing Through

Post by vampiress »

~And I mean feeding in that he was literally eating the belly section of the one splayed out on the hosptial bed.

Whoa whoa...he was -eating- it? I don't remember -that-. I am in the process of another replay, so I'll have to pay extra close attention. :shock:
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

Yeah, he definitely is. When you wake up after coming through the portal he's hunched over the stomach of the Patient on the bed and the sounds indicate that he's rummaging around in its body and eating it. Then when he notices you he turns around and there's blood all over his face. It's pretty disgusting which is no doubt why it stuck in my mind.
Live the nightmare conceived by Adam Crowley:
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Rummaging around someone's belly doesn't mean you're eating the contents of that person....There's a sugestion but not definite.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

Then when he notices you he turns around and there's blood all over his face.
That seems pretty compelling evidence to me. Either he was eating it, or he was rubbing his face in it. Either way it's pretty sick.