No Fear; Effects/things they should've used

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

D90
Hope House Careworker

No Fear; Effects/things they should've used

Post by D90 »

For any of you who thought the film wasnt scary (like moi), or not scary enough, what would you have done to remedy this?
I've seen quite a few complaints, but never any follow up on what people would do.
I have a few suggestions:

1. Relentless Sound: The scariest thing in the games is the relentless disturbing sound, the kind that makes you just want it to stop. Perhaps this wouldnt work quite so well in a film, but I have a specific example; the scene with the Gray Children. Just as the sound of their crying started to get disturbing, and making me uncomfortable - it cuts out.
My memory of this could be distorted, it might've just got quieter, or been replaced with another sound, but it definately faded/dissapeared JUST as it started to get scary.

2. Dark: Broad daylight. With a torch on. Hmm.

3. Flashing images: Again, perhaps this wouldnt work for mainstream film, but if anyones seen SH: No Escape (a CG fan movie) you'll know what I mean. Weird images flashing onto the screen, etc.

I'm in a rush, and have to go, but I might come back and edit on some more posts.
Thoughts anyone?
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

Umm dense fog, rotting buildings, sound effects from the game, a deep feeling of isolation and lonliness. Getting rid of the shit promise song and the fucking birds. And a hell of a lot more. And they should have made the movie longer and taken out that shitty opening.
Harrier
Just Passing Through

Post by Harrier »

Longer? You serious?

I agree on the light point --- shoulda been a lot more darker scenes.
Look out for yourself! (That is Judge Not -- Else Ye Be Judged Yourself!)
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

Harrier wrote:Longer? You serious?

I agree on the light point --- shoulda been a lot more darker scenes.
Yes it should have been longer. Everything is put together so quickly the movie doesn't "flow" right. It was "rushed", much like the fourth harry potter movie.
TessannaDelone
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TessannaDelone »

You can't make a movie to long or people are not going to want to sit there and watch it. Take my mum-in0law for an example. She loves these kind of movies but she hates sitting in theaters. Any longer then two hours and everything starts to hurt and she stops enjoying the movie. Plus there would have to had been more substance to the story to even justify it being longer.

I have to agree with having more sound. The movie makers seem to have forgotten the effect of sound. I just remember playing silent hill 3 a day after the movie and noticing how much more sound there was in the game.
[b]User Deactivated -- Underage.[/b]
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

If the people going to see the movie have any interest in it, like me, they would sit through it even if it was eight hours long. The longer the better, why can't people realize that. People are always complaining that things are either too short or not long enough but when something is nice and long they bitch and complain about it. Hmph, hypocrites.
Last edited by shua on 28 Jun 2006, edited 1 time in total.
jonn86
Just Passing Through

Post by jonn86 »

i totally agree... needed to be longer. by the time she was in the hospital with the nurses... it felt like i've been watching the whole thing in 30 minutes.... just way to fast... even if it was to slow down certain scenes... having more happen... ect.

also wished longer scenes with the creatures than what they had. also show other creatures more than once... which they only seemed to do with PH...

lastly... the Straight-Jacket Patient/Lying Figure creature(s) looked more like they had no arms instead of being in a flesh-like straight-jacket. that just made it look funny...
TessannaDelone
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TessannaDelone »

You have no idea how much I hate hearing the words "Well if you were true fans..." Guess what? just because we are fans does not mean we will take it up the ass. True fans would demand high quality, and not just take it.

Besides I am talking about people who might not be fans of the games but are interested in the movie. If you want the movie to succeed and maybe have a sequal more people need to watch it then just the die hard fans. It needs to make money.

One of the major problems with this movie was plot not how long it was. And making it longer is one of the worse solutions you can offer.
[b]User Deactivated -- Underage.[/b]
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

just because we are fans does not mean we will take it up the ass
Unless some of you guys are, like...queer.
But...thats okay.
I...I dont...I have nothing against...with, y'know...and...

Anyone noticed people are (mostly) just discussing length here? When the question is about Fear effects?
And yeah, shua145, dont do the true fan thing.
Makes people think you're a wank-face.
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

I didn't mean it anything at all like that. If you're going to see the movie at all you must have interest in it and like what its about. And if you DO have interest in it, the length shouldn't bother you at all.
leodegrance
Just Passing Through

Post by leodegrance »

I think that if the movie were well-written, it would have done wonders for building the atmosphere. The problem is, when people in the theater are laughing at bad dialogue ("Looks like there was a fire"), then it destroys any tension.

I agree that the sound could have been handled better. Playing the games taught me that sound can truly cause terror. It just has to be managed well.

I also think the environments could have been better designed at points. Think of all the bodies we see hanging around in the game. How many were there in the movie? I can only remember one.

More darkness would have been nice, but I guess the idea was that they'd turn off people if they couldn't see all that was going on.