Possible Signifigance of the Sewer Monster?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

.-Ape-Demon-.
Gravedigger

Possible Signifigance of the Sewer Monster?

Post by .-Ape-Demon-. »

Hi all.

I did not notice any sort of topic on this particular facet of Silent Hill 3 and it has been iritating me like an Earwig. So I apologize if I am exploring this too throughly or if a topic was already made.

As I am sure you all know..
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
When you get to the Sewer Controll room, or whatever it is called, you find a diary that lets on that something is in the water. Going to the door opens up a water way with a bridge going across it. Going across the bridge causes a tenticled something to drag you in and eat you unless you use the Hair-Dryer to electrocute it.
But, this much of it has always intrested me.

Supousedly, The Manifestations that occur thanks to the God inside of Heather remove people from the areas affected and alter the environment. However, this creature appears well before the events of Silent Hill 3.

Where is my evidence? According to the diary, the writer sugests that the incident where his two friends were attacked was investigated and ruled an accident. That means that it would have taken time to investigate it in the first place, certantly more than 24 hours and definately longer than the two or three hours (or hour or so if your good) to get into the sewers.

So, that raises questions: Just what is the Sewer Monster? Why did it target people unrelated to Heather, Claudia or the Cult? And what does it mean for other manifestations?

These are some of my ideas as to the origin of the creature, in order of my own ideas of their likelyhood.

1) The monster is a manifestation, but one that is not related to the current incident. In other words, the God inside of Heather did create it, but through either accident or vicious experementation was spawned without any real intent randomly in the sewer and the workers were just unlucky enough to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The creation of the monster was something comparable to when a fetus close to birth makes a kick. A simple test of it's abilities.

2) The monster is not a manifestation, but some unkown animal or mutant that grew or was thrown into the sewers, and is big enough to attack people.

3) A creature Claudia placed in the Sewers to impede Heather's progress. This is unlikely, as the alternate realms that lead Heather to this point are unpredictable and could have lead her anywhere.

There are other issues, but I want to see what you think.

I know I am probably grasping at straws here, but it's just something that has been urking me, and any kind of explanation would be welcome as long as you arent too ridiculously smarmy about it. Yes, I used the word smarmy.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "
-Marcus Aurelius

"Abraham Lincon was born in a log cabin which he built with his own hands"
-Anonymous College Student.

"If the crib is on fire, you don't assume the baby is flame retardant."
-Al Gore
Scottie_Neptune
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scottie_Neptune »

i think it was just a little challenge, i kinda wondered that at first, but i dont think there too much to it
Always remeber....thought shalt not kill.....but hear this.......Fuck! That! Shit!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

nice thinking but i always though of this
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It was Alessa who made up the moster and made up the story because she thought it would be easier to kill her to stop the making of god. Claudia would never kill Heather because god would never be born then. Unless she would had been born again. Anyways thats why there are some monsters and the memory of Alessa fight purpose. Do you kinda get what I'm saying?
Scottie_Neptune
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scottie_Neptune »

i get what your saying, but i think hes jus like anyother monster in silent hill
Always remeber....thought shalt not kill.....but hear this.......Fuck! That! Shit!
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

I took it this way -> Alessa reads the article about some monster in the sewer -> as a result the idea is planted in her subconscious and it is only then that she actually makes it 'real'. We see this again and again with Alessa and the creatures in the first game, and Alessa is Heather, so...

What's more we see exactly the same monster twice in SH1, in a room of the hospital and in a fridge, so it's probably some repressed subconscious idea that is dredged up by the article, and thus manifest in the place it indicates.
Live the nightmare conceived by Adam Crowley:
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

I like this guy's thinking (the necronoir). He's a master of theories in my book.
Tome
Just Passing Through

Post by Tome »

I think it has something to do with the bloodsuckers in SH1.
It's not my responsibility to shut up, but it's your right to not listen.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i always thought it was just something they threw in to keep up the suspension
.-Ape-Demon-.
Gravedigger

Post by .-Ape-Demon-. »

Ah....Had I played Silent Hill 1, I might have noticed that. It is a good idea, but from what I have come to understand, the manifestations are not the work of Heather, but of the God inside of Heather. Unless you mean to say that, through reincarnated memory, the god is projecting Alessa's fears.

Although it is possible that the memmory of Alessa, like the one you encounter at the fairgrounds, is somehow responsible.

Thanks for bringing that possibility up. :D
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "
-Marcus Aurelius

"Abraham Lincon was born in a log cabin which he built with his own hands"
-Anonymous College Student.

"If the crib is on fire, you don't assume the baby is flame retardant."
-Al Gore
Atticus
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Atticus »

Well as some theories Ponit out that the monsters are humans of Silent Hill
For those that think/like/belive in this theories it could be fish or Frog or something along those lines?
But The Necronoir Has good theorie 8)
[img]http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/2808/sh07fm.jpg[/img]
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Atticus wrote:Well as some theories Ponit out that the monsters are humans of Silent Hill
Only Leonard, the Missionary, and the Scrapers are human.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
ghoul_drool
Just Passing Through

Post by ghoul_drool »

I just thought it was something to figure out thrown in for good measure, didn't really think much of it but people have some interesting ideas though..
Sophia: Jealousy is a very ugly thing Dorothy..and so are you in anything backless
Ark Skyheart
Just Passing Through

Post by Ark Skyheart »

wow Necro kudos for the great theories...i had never thought it to much but now ya got me thinking hummmm...

oh did you know on your secound time through you can toss the lead pipe into the water and a goddess pops up and offers you a gold and silver one lmao
ARGH i keep losing "the game" if you know what the game is you just lost it!

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/arkskyheart/arksig.jpg[/img]
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

Whether the power comes from the God or from Heather doesn't really matter, either way that power is distributed according to Alessa/Heather's subconscious or conscious will. We are given the impression that Alessa held an innate power of her own, as Claudia does, so it's probably the combination of Heather's power amplified by the God's that allows the manifestations to take place.

And thanks for pointing out the name Bloodsuckers, Tome, I knew they had a name but I couldn't remember what it was. For those of you who've played SH4 the Bloodsucker's should suggest a motif we see in that game as well...
Live the nightmare conceived by Adam Crowley:
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
Atticus
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Atticus »

swedish wrote:
Atticus wrote:Well as some theories Ponit out that the monsters are humans of Silent Hill
Only Leonard, the Missionary, and the Scrapers are human.
I mean ones around what Vincent said
I remaber when I 1st joined there were # of them and 3 worlds
Normal world
Fog world
Nightmare world

But most part I dont really think much of it
Vincent only one ever said something about it and well he wasnt as mad as others in SH but....
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Atticus wrote:I mean ones around what Vincent said
How do you know he's not just referring to the Missionary, Leonard, or the Scrapers?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

There are the names of two workers who apparently got killed by the sewer thing.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

This creature is for the most part just an insert like the creature in
SH1. In SH1 it took the Dagger of Melchior and this a hair dryer as previously
stated. I would think that these creatures are related. They both do pretty
much the same thing. Block a path to progress.

I guess that the best reason for there being a article on past killings
would just be an insert to help those ignorant enough to try to use the
dryer to give Heather a new hair style to seduce the beast instead of
just putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that "Hmm. Maybe if I throw
this thing into the water it will shock the f*cking shit out of it and kill
it allowing passage.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

as you all know same similar scene is present in SH1 in the kitchen, so I guess there is no point in looking for another epical explanation here, SH Team just put same thing so that it would fit for an SH1 sequel, and the diary is to "warn" you from upcoming danger, thats what I think
Atticus
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Atticus »

swedish wrote:
Atticus wrote:I mean ones around what Vincent said
How do you know he's not just referring to the Missionary, Leonard, or the Scrapers?
Dud I dont known I dont belive in those ones I was just pointing it out he ask and I known there some that do think the monsters as them
So was just throwing it out there
I my self Belive Vincent was just being ass and lieing