The Mouth, The Ears and Stretched Figure

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Littlestardweller
Historical Society Historian

The Mouth, The Ears and Stretched Figure

Post by Littlestardweller »

I just have to post this wherever I go...
I'm still sort of working on it because I need to re-play the game...

In SH3 there is repeated imagery of the large mouth that seems to be screaming or just open in pain and anguish, sometimes connected with large squares of ears and a large figure that looks like a stretched thick, bloodied cloth or, probably, flesh. It is seen if after you get transported to the "alternate world" via turning on the bathtub, look closely to the grails near the Glutton, in a distance, on the wall of the ladder, where Valtiel is seen with the Fukuro lady figure and in a few other places as well.

I believe that the figure of stretched flesh with the surgical instruments opening it up and prying it, spreading it too is a representation of Alessa suffering in the hospital. The form of it seems very reminiscent (typo?) of someone crucified, perhaps implying her martyrdom.

The mouth adds to this as it depicts the anguish and lack of the capability of communication Alessa had to scream out against the attrocities and martyrdom of her for the cult, as a daughter, as an unwilling human being.

I believe that the ears when shown, can represent her only being able to observe what was occuring in this state adding more suffering on her mental state.
...that all my life I've been rushing up and down hills, leaping rivers, crashing over obstacles,
never dreaming that one day that beautiful thing in flight would land on this earth and into my arms
Droo

Post by Droo »

Isn't the mouth Lisa's mouth from the SH1 OST?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
F

Post by F »

No.
the reeper
Just Passing Through

Post by the reeper »

That's what I had thought. Anyway, that's an interesting theory. But I think that there's more to it than that. Have you ever noticed that those things almost always, if not always (I need to repla the game, too) ppear ner Valtiel? I know for sure that the mouth and ear(s) appear rigt beside him. But I'll have to re-check the flesh thing. And depending on how you look at it, the mouth looks like it's smiling, or happy.
Whenever I find a signature, it will go here.
Folterung
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Folterung »

it looks as though its wearing braces as well
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/Eternal21121/folterungsigdv8.gif[/img]
Thanks XmaggotX
the reeper
Just Passing Through

Post by the reeper »

Okay, now I'll definently have to replay the game,
Whenever I find a signature, it will go here.
Biomechanical
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Biomechanical »

I had a different idea about all this stuff. The figure with the stretched flesh and being pryed open and whatnot. Im pretty sure that alot of it had to do with the theme of birth, with heather being the mother of god. the flesh being stretched and torn open was like the fears of giving birth. stretch marks, terrible pain, c-section, etc...

this also goes with my theory of the bloody "oblong holes" that heather sees, symbolizes vaginas. it would symbolize a forced open, torn open, birth canal through which the god emerges.
[b][color=red]User is no longer active[/color][/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/biomechanical923/pulp.jpg[/img]
douche
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Also don't forget that the stretched skin is in a crucified like position, a sign of martyrdom.
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

I always thought the mouths were laughing but I guess they could be screaming if you wanted to look at it that way...
And what "bloody, oblong holes?" Where? Like vaginas? What? I don't remember these...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Biomechanical
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Biomechanical »

i think there were several, but i can only think of 2 at the moment.

1. the one that opens up in floor in the alternate hospital when you use the blood packet at the altar

2. the one that valtiel rips in the floor, leading down to the final boss
[b][color=red]User is no longer active[/color][/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/biomechanical923/pulp.jpg[/img]
douche
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

Hm. About the stretched flesh/crucified body thing, It is extremely similar to the figures from the alternate world of SH1....Medical instruments and all. I know it's hard to see with the PS1 graphics/pixelation, but there are syringes lined about the waists of the "crucified" corpses. Just take a look, the connections are there.
Whatever it is, I would have to believe that it all has to do with Alessa, in some roundabout way.

On a funny note, the first time I saw the mouth image, I thought of Marilyn Monroe.
SilentHell
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentHell »

SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!i!

Littlestardweller wrote: I believe that the figure of stretched flesh with the surgical instruments opening it up and prying it, spreading it too is a representation of Alessa suffering in the hospital.
Exactly that also applies to the Wheelchairs, The bloody walls, The Nurses, The bloody beds\ also the covered corpses, Etc those images had to do something with Alessa's suffering during her hospitalization, *By the way Alessa used a wheelchair to move around from the age of 7 to 14 so you can tell why she'd hate those things

The writhing shadows on the surfaces of walls and creatures are related to the Burns poor Alessa received during the ritual of resurrection, (Which also explain Why "Heather" got the same kind of burns/marks in the so called Mirror Room), Which also approves my previous theory:

He who enters SilentHill also enters "the range of the Alternate World's grasp" and don't forget the Alternate World is a world of nightmares and delusions of a person's come to life. And a place of there "darkest memories take shape (like Alessa's in SH1 and SH3, Heather's got nothing to do with this for she is merely stuck in the middle of this Phenomenon except that she carries this "GOD" which I believe is actually the Satan/Devil)". So what did we learn today? (everyone See's silent hill in his/her own way.).

Still following? that might also explain the other creatures the Dogs,Closers,Numbodies,InsaneCanser... they might be Alessa's other fears.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While im still here this also explains the conflict between mary and maria:
for a fact they are one and the same Maria was (in a sense) "Born From A Wish"
James desired a sexual relationship with his wife Mary. When she had gotten sick
she could no longer peak James's sexual interest. Maria, is the Mary that James
wished Mary was.
A woman with sexual allure, and a lustful atmosphere about
her, as I said earlier He who enters SilentHill also enters a world of delusions
(Maria is the Mary that James wished Mary was,
that's her purpose in SilentHill to invade James's thoughts and mind making her his top concern,(you see? thats why we see Maria die several times in James's journey to get his attention this also answers the "When mary really died" topic)

Even when it seems that James has her
(in the ending called MARIA) she begins to cough just like mary She is sick as well. She will die
and James will relive the agony. for you see for James this's a lose lose game poor guy.

by the way remember the PH scene where he rapes a Mannequin and after he's done with her he kill's her? well this's how James see's himself after what he have done to mary he killed her AFTER she had gotten sick and she could no longer peak his sexual interest... NO im not saying that Mr.sunderland and PyramidHead are one and the same, but James's darkest memory reoccurred infront of his eye's just like I mentioned earlier

Oh im way off topic so ill just stfu....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/silenyhell/sh%20pictures/SH3Siggy.jpg[/img]

"Some Fear Dea_th Some Pray For_It"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Here's another thing I noticed, and it's really something you have to look for.

Spoilers

During the Memory of Alessa fight, pay close attention to the carousal, or rather what's inside. You can see fire, and you can see the fire burning what appears to be a person. It's in the same position as the follower of Valtiel bodies, except this one is not wearing a robe, and you can see the muscle exposed.
Red Pyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by Red Pyramid »

I agree with the Silent Hill reflects one's own dark memories theory. I think I've made the It reference before, but if anyone here has ever seen It they beat the monster without too much trouble. The real fight was not running in terror from Pennywise's terrifying hallucinations.

God (who I believe to be a devil that was sealed in Silent Hill long ago by the Indians who lived there) is not very strong, after she gets beaten by a 40 year old man and then a 17 year old girl, but she does have a lot of power and she defends herself from the humans who have come to destroy her by crafting a world of terror that will drive them insane.

I would have to agree then that Heather's Silent Hill reflects Alessa's torment. After all, the God creating this dark reality is residing in Heather, and Heather and
Alessa are one in the same. Besides, it's unlikely Heather has any traumatic experiences in her non-Alessa past potent enough to make a Silent Hill, so the God draws on her Alessa experiences.
I'm just a drifter working for a fistful of SH Cash.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think Silent Hill is normal. The silent hill WE see, with the fog and monsters occasionally outside is in between our reality and the subconscious terror world. The "other side" is nothing more than the other side of the spectrum: chaos, terror, decay, and it is driven by our own fear and memories. I also think that certain people might get stuck in this side of reality & henceforth we might see their fears or even them! While god (mother) has more powerful control in this other reality than ours, she is near powerless in the in between realms of SH, AND perhaps she can reach her powers out and manipulate or reality if a disciple of hers wills it and tries to envoke her powers out (the mall, apartment, etc....better yet, anywhere not in SH).

SH is so full of evil, tragedy, and history that I think mother is basically stuck there in one form or another and it can also become someones hell forever (Alessa, Ernest).

Just something I've thought of...
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

I'm still sticking to the fact that the stretched figures are not new. They are all over SH1.
I can only assume that they represent great suffering.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I completely agree with this, and find it to be the truth. We do see the stretched figures all over SH1 too.
Littlestardweller
Historical Society Historian

Post by Littlestardweller »

My previous post:

I just feel like it is quite different in the physical appearance so I was trying to formally analyze the variation of this symbol as it appears in SH3. (although the original wrapped figures are shown on their own in SH3 too)

Current post:

Sorry I haven't read all the replies here completely.

But one really hard-to-catch spot you can see this figure, is in the area the Glutton is in.
There are some grailed windows sort of in one of the halls and if you look closely you can see one or two figures on each side in the distance.
...that all my life I've been rushing up and down hills, leaping rivers, crashing over obstacles,
never dreaming that one day that beautiful thing in flight would land on this earth and into my arms
James Casey
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by James Casey »

Something just came to me, might be nothing, but it's something!

Everything on those pictures are what valtiel DOES NOT have. Mouth, Ears, ect.

What do you think about that, a little more backstory on our twitchy little buddy!
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/crankstuh/JamesCasey.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=172287#172287]My Pyramid Head Costume Project[/url]
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

James Casey wrote:Something just came to me, might be nothing, but it's something!

Everything on those pictures are what valtiel DOES NOT have. Mouth, Ears, ect.

What do you think about that, a little more backstory on our twitchy little buddy!
Valtiel! Pick up your face! Don't leave them laying around! What if the kids see!?

Really though. That's pretty cool. But there's no Eye figure. What do you make of that?
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]