New Article in Play Magazine

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

New Article in Play Magazine

Post by Dr. Gordon »

This is a two-page article in the December issue of Play magazine with game designer (i'm assuming) William Oertel. I didn't include all of the questions, because they weren't anything that we didn't already know:

Play:I'm personally really excited about this game, as it's the first time we'll be able to see the Silent Hill world through different eyes, so to speak. How did this project come about?
Oertel:
Well, it came about because my boss said he wanted to do it (laughs). I was already working on Silent Hill Experience, which was a PSP multimedia title. I wasn't sure what the plans in Japan were for future versions of Silent Hill, but my boss was really positive about handheld platforms and felt this was a good idea. I knew it was doable -- we showed the playable back at Leipzig, and I felt that alleviated a lot of concerns as to whether it was possible to do Silent Hill on a portable. Whether the graphical fidelity is there, the atmosphere and so on.

I'm curios how much input Team Silent has on this game. Did they set a story down in stone, or leave wiggle room for original contributions?
Oertel:
The scenario wasn't written by Team Silent. We talked with Alira Yamaoka about the stor, but it was very much hands off. They gave us alot of leeway.

Would you say it was ccollaborative?
Oertel:
Somewhat. Team Silent is working on their own project in Japan, so the story was really left to us to come up with. We talked about whether we'd do a sequel or a prequel...in fact, the original idea was to do a remake of Silent Hill 1. But when we looked at how much work that would be -- redoing all the graphics from scratch -- we decided to do something that updated the history of the series rather than repeating it.

With this game being a prequel, does it start at a point in time when Silent Hill was a "normal" town? Will we see its transformation into nightmare?
Oertel:
At this point...there's already fog (laughs). So no, it's not a normal town. It's not quite yet where Silent Hill 1 is at, but it;s not a happy town yet.

Will the ending of 0rigins lead directly into the story of 1?
Oertel:
Yeah. There's a definite connection.

What about the controversial laser sght we saw in some early screenshots?
Oertel:
The laser is gone (laughs). That was an early development thing, and I don't thik it worked to well. We've found another way of doing the aiming.

Can you tell us a little more about the barricade system we've heard about? Does it become necessary to block off access to enemies to proceed?
Oertel:
That was the original plan...that enemies would chase after tou and you'd have to trap them in other rooms to be able to proceed. It was almost going to be a kind of puzzle element. It proved to be very difficult to implement. The design would have taken alot of time, so that part is no longer in the game. It would have been a nice feature to have, but we just ran out of time. It was either...we could have a great barricade game, or a great Silent Hill game (laughs)

I'll post some of the remaining questions later. I need to eat some food right now before my stomach collapses on itself. :P
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Nice, nice, any new screen shots?
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

Great, more puzzles. I'm still looking forward to it.

I don't even own a psp~
Furin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Furin »

Cool, thanks for that. :D

Is this the US PLAY, or the UK one? :P
http://silenthill5.net/

[url=http://silenthill5.net/forums/]Silent Hill V forums[/url]
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

Yeah, there are a few screenshots that I'll try to put up.
Two are the concept art of the monsters, the wheelchair monster and a maniquin monster. Actual gameplay, the trucker running down a hallway, not sure if it's the school or a warehouse. Another of him walking down a foggy road near a graveyard, and the last is him swinging the sledgehammer at a purple monster that has it's mouth open, and you can see its spine.

The following question came before the lasersight question:

...Is the control scheme substantially different?
Oertel:
It's sort of by necessity. On the PSP you have more limited controls -- just the one analog nub and two shoulder buttons. Still, I wouldn't say it;s a run-'n'-gun.

So it's not, say, a Resident Evil 4.
Oertel:
Hmm...there's just so many ideas out there now, whatever you do it's going to seem like you're copying something. There are only so many control schmes and so many camera angel, so it's bound to look like something that's come out in the past. Because of the small screen we had to bring the camera in closer, just to be able to see what's in front of you (laughs). In terms of the action elements...when you use a firearm, you can't move the chracter around. You're not going to be running down a hallway, pistol in each hand, Matrix-style.

Will 0rigins retain the classic flashlight/radio combination?
Oertel:
The flashlight yes, the radio will have some modifications. There will be the static, but we'll also have a visual indicator of some sort. I think we have to, since it's a handheld game.

How about the inventory system? Will it be more in line with the system from 1-3, or more like 4's?
Oertel:
It's still under dicussion. You're not going to have chests or anything. You'll never have to leave items somewhere and go back and get them. However it turns out, all your stuff will always be available to you.

Since the game is tied in closely with 1, will we see the return of familiar locales from that game?
Oertel:
Yes. If you picture the map of the town, it;s like a rectangle...let's say we have one street here, a part of Old Silent Hill people have seen from the first game. Adjacent to that are areas we've never seen...somewhere been two thirds to four fifths of the areas are new.

Will Travis travel to the Toluca Lake district of Silent Hill, or is the game mostly in the old town?
Oertel:
It's all Old Silent Hill.

Everything in the trailers so far looks very classically Silent Hill. What atre some of the new areas we'll be seeing?
Oertel:
We have Alchemilla Hospital from Silent Hill 1, but also a hotel, a theater, a meat-packing plant, a mental institution...and another area I can't talk about (laughs).

Let's talk about the soudtrack. I heard Akria Yamaoka (Ed. Note -- original series composer) was involved.
Oertel:
yeah, he wrote the whole soundtrack -- all 15 songs. Akira's a huge part of Silent Hill. His music features so prominently. It's almost not video game music, in some respects. He delivers so much emotion, feeling and texture. You can really feel what the characters are experiencing through his music. Of the 15 tracks, four are vocal songs.

It's been a great interview, but our time is up. Any final words for the fans?
Oertel:
We've looked really hard at the previous games and are committed to making a faithful Silent Hill. There will be some changes that people will have to accept, but everyone's goal is to have a complete Silent Hill experience for the PSP.[/b]
Furin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Furin »

So team silent didnt write the story D: Im glad the laser is gone, i didnt like it. ;(

Thanks again, Loomis. :p
http://silenthill5.net/

[url=http://silenthill5.net/forums/]Silent Hill V forums[/url]
Chris Sunderland

Sounds good.
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

Wow, thanks for this hun! :D This is really interesting. I am also glad the laser is gone, it just didn't seem right to me.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

This interview sounds incredibly promising. And new songs from Yamaoka? Yay!

Yes, thanks for that.
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

Chris Sunderland

Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

I do not like the look of that second picture at all. :?
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

I figured as much. I don't go to IGN in fear of spoilers and having to pay subscriptions for trailers I can find elsewhere for free. :wink:

Here are two quotes that William gave that are under the pictures:

"We're trying to take some of the more cumbersome elements and bring them up to date."

"I think it's one of the joys of Silent Hill, to be able to discuss it, write about it in forums, talk about it with friends."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Oertel wrote:The scenario wasn't written by Team Silent. We talked with Alira Yamaoka about the stor, but it was very much hands off. They gave us alot of leeway.
Oh good. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Loki_AoD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Loki_AoD »

I wonder about the project he said Team Silent was working on. I'm glad to hear that Yamaoka did all of the music though. It wouldn't even be close without his music.
Don't Spam, I might just bludgeon you to death with a wooden spork.
[url=http://shfanfics.silenthillfever.com/calichemenu.html][img]http://xd4.xanga.com/cd7a7147c503180344109/w54700402.jpg[/img][/url]
The Second Sign. And God said, Offer the Blood of the Ten Sinners and the White Oil. Be then released from the bonds of the flesh, and gain the Power of Heaven. - 21 Sacraments
brokenhearts2205
Just Passing Through

Post by brokenhearts2205 »

Can someone please PLEASE tell me they will come out with SHO for ps2 or xbox after it has been out for a while! Cause I'm not that like super rich here to go out and buy a psp for one game and all new consules evertime they come out with one lol.
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

Loki_AoD wrote:I wonder about the project he said Team Silent was working on. I'm glad to hear that Yamaoka did all of the music though. It wouldn't even be close without his music.
I still don't think the music will be on par for this game as with the others.

"Hands Off" and "Leeway" mean double trouble.
Chris Sunderland

From what I've heard it sounds very good. Infact, the second trailer song is the best vocal track in the series, IMO. I'm not going to say it's bad, when I haven't played it. Sure I'd rather have TS write the story, but who knows, mabe they'll craft something good up. Everything is sounding good so far.
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

brokenhearts2205 wrote:Can someone please PLEASE tell me they will come out with SHO for ps2 or xbox after it has been out for a while! Cause I'm not that like super rich here to go out and buy a psp for one game and all new consules evertime they come out with one lol.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>>>>>>> http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8847 <<<<<<<<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the game is going to be great... although i do have to agree that creature.... really does not look like a monster in silent hill.
The music...... (DROOLS) just the stuff we have herd is amazing i cant wait for the entire soundtrack.
oO?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

00000 wrote:
Oertel wrote:The scenario wasn't written by Team Silent. We talked with Alira Yamaoka about the stor, but it was very much hands off. They gave us alot of leeway.
Oh good. . . .
My sentiments exactly.

This is going to suck. Let me know how it goes you guys. Not only do I not have the funds for this game, I have absolutely no desire to waste money on something I'm not excited about.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.