I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Hoot
Just Passing Through

Post by Hoot »

DisturbingtownofSH wrote:
Playing it in the dark is the best experience you will have in this game. It's that much better to play it in the dark than during the day cause you'll think the game is much scarier tat way. Believe me. You should give it a try. It's damn worth it. :D
I agree 1000% Best way to play is without a light on in the room. 8)
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

omg if you played others b4 thats why you SHULD play this game or maybe SH series aint for you
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

my buddy says all i have to do to get the possesed ending is have 4000+ points at the end of the game, is this true or is it more complex than that?
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

valkyrie wrote:my buddy says all i have to do to get the possesed ending is have 4000+ points at the end of the game, is this true or is it more complex than that?
Aren't you talking about SH3?
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

......yes :?
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

valkyrie wrote:
......yes :?
......because this topic's about the original.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Prinny
Just Passing Through

Re: I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Post by Prinny »

Beau~Barbare wrote:Is that bad? I've played all of the other games, but since I already know what happens in SH1, I'm just not all that excited about playing a slightly off graphics game that I know the ending of.

Why should I play SH1? What did you like about that game that would cause you to recommend it to me?
(Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I didnt see anything thread like this one, so I assume its ok to post. >.> )
Hm, I was sort of in your boat. After owning SH1 for about 3 years and never playing it after beating 2+3, I finally decided to, and beat it a couple days ago. Probably due to watching the Silent Hill movie...I just wanted to see the "canon" story of SH1, despite my misgivings for the PS1 graphics. I guess I can give you a small review (?) of my experience.

-The graphics didn't bother me, but I still play Ninja Gaiden and Zelda on the old NES. Turn off the lights, and SH1 can be just as scary as 2+3. More so if you like that nostalgic scary look. I know I do :)
-The lack of control over the camera view. In SH2 and 3, you can press a button that lets you look around the area, up, down, diagonal up, whatever. It's not yet implemented in SH1, and it sucks knowing one of those gargoyles are around, but being unable to LOOK UP. It's probably due to PS1 limitations though...what can you do?
-Harry sidesteps slowly during his walk....step, stop, step, stop, etc. He doesn't do it during the running side-step, but in general Harry's controls have a slight lag. I just took it as him being slightly less in shape than James and Heather.
-Though some things were spoiled for me from visiting various SH sites, there were still some surprises in there. In fact, I found out lots of what is said about SH1's story is speculation...I never saw it play out in the story for my first run through. You just might be surprised!
-This is just taste, but Harry is my least favorite protagonist of the series. I'm hesitant to say one-dimensional, but he's a pretty straightforward and normal guy.
-Go to gamefaqs for the Zodiac sign puzzle. It's so stupid...I mostly solved the rest of the puzzles without help though.
-The only time I died was from the refrigerator puzzle.
-Lisa is now one of my fav SH characters :)

Overall, I'm glad I played it, I don't regret it. Guess I should've just said that instead! SH4 is next...
monk
Just Passing Through

why play*1 wen you no the endings

Post by monk »

silent hill 1 is not only the best sh game but the best game ever made so play it babe
BoozerDawg
Just Passing Through

Post by BoozerDawg »

SH1 to me had more.............vicious graphics (Ya know, the barbed wire looked nasty).
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/BoozerDawg/SH_Sig.gif[/img]
monk
Just Passing Through

Post by monk »

the old graphics and hard controls only made the game more scary an atmospheric to me is sheer class
AngelsWhisper
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AngelsWhisper »

The game has to be played purely for the experience. A few years after playing the first game, I just completed the second and was looking for a game to play through to keep me occupied. I dug out the original Silent Hill and I admit, I was reluctant to play it again because of the graphics and knowing the plot already. However, the graphics are really not that bad when you play, I was surprised myself, and the plot is always worth replaying for.
"Gee it's as hot as hell in here."
"For me, it's always like this..."

[url=http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/][img]http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/images/banner02.gif[/img][/url]
Gwenfloor
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Post by Gwenfloor »

Beau~Barbare wrote:Is that bad? I've played all of the other games, but since I already know what happens in SH1, I'm just not all that excited about playing a slightly off graphics game that I know the ending of.
Actually, it had very good graphics for its time.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but it sure as h*ll makes it even!

Silent Hill RPG: www.silenthill123.proboards50.com
Great Knife
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Great Knife »

I'd recomend playing it just so you could have the experience of playing all the games, even if you do know the end. Plus i realy appreciated the updated graphics of the other games after playing it, maybe you can too.
Sad suffering. I knew him when, fair weather friend of mine. Try not to think, I merely blink. Hope to wish away the lies.... I....
Sinweaver
Just Passing Through

Post by Sinweaver »

Meh, you don't have to play it. It was an okay game for its time and all...but I'm sure you'll survive if you don't play it.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

I still play and beat the old one atleast once a year. Its always fun.. I have yet to get the damnned green hyper blaster laser by getting 100 stars. Its hard. Exspecially when you don't know using next fear only weapons lowers your score.
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
butters
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by butters »

Just the weird feeling you get while playing this game that you don't quite get with the others, is reason enough to own it.
Myrrh Macho Sehr Gacho
dan abnormal
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by dan abnormal »

I play it to laugh at how Harry Mason runs and also to have fun shooting Mumblers in the School.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If you really do like the series, it's worth playing. Plus, it's not that great playing SH 3 without playing the first. You won't get everything from just playing the third.

Also there are fantastic riddles. <3
Brian
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Brian »

yeah, you really should get this one. i think it's the scariest, and the best. the music is great for this game. really scary and industrial. this is definately the best one i believe, you -have- to get it. it's much darker and more intense than the others in my opinion.
[img:b4cb8a0046]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/click_mannn/CollabAmortHaze2.png[/img:b4cb8a0046]
Your golden skies feed my role in this forgotten space race under my control.
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

Hey, SH1 has better voice acting than Resident Evil 1 on playstation. Hope that encouraged u to play it a bit more.