At last, Gans speaks up. First interview post-Silent Hill.

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

At last, Gans speaks up. First interview post-Silent Hill.

Post by boblecon1096 »

Alas for many here, it is in French. It is a very very long interview and since I have only 15 minutes of break, I don't have the time to give you a good translation. Still, here is the link for those who are interested.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?18185&page=1

I haven't finished reading but from what I can tell, Gans seems happy with the results his movie did box-office speaking. There will be a Silent Hill 2 and an Onimusha movie. He also talks about why the DVD zone 1 is "pitiful" compared to the French one. He is willing to release a DVD collector of Silent Hill but not before completing the 2nd movie (2-3 years from now).

Also, these 9 pages are only the 1st part of the interview. There is a 2nd part that is not online yet.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Nice, thanks a lot boble, please take your time to translate it later. My French is very rusty, and I'm very interested in the info given.

I really feel inspired now ^^ Can't wait for his two upcomming movies and the special edition release.
TleilaxuEyes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TleilaxuEyes »

So he wants a sequel as badly as I do? Excellent! Thanks for the news, and I'm definitely looking forward to a translation.
I'm the kind of kid that can't let anything go
But you wouldn't know a good thing if it came up
And slit your throat.
-"My Heart is the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy

Thanks for the avatar, ST3wolf!
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

cool find and all but I already heard about it few months ago
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

KRYSTA-GG- wrote:cool find and all but I already heard about it few months ago
I didn't see you share it.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Chrism~ wrote:
KRYSTA-GG- wrote:cool find and all but I already heard about it few months ago
I didn't see you share it.
cuz im scrooge...

Ive read it on this forums, this section, Gans said he is interested in sequel which would be based on SH3 game...so much of James & Maria on a silver screen
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

My French is shit..so I can't really read that.

I think there's been something like this posted before, I'm not sure.

I don't think he should make another movie, I've stated that before. I just don't like the idea of it...I always thought SH2 would make a good movie..but maybe with a different director.
Arnino Storm
Just Passing Through

Post by Arnino Storm »

Nice! I'm going to get on reading it right now. Since I'm french canadian, I should have no problem.
Raise above the Dust
If you would turn it into Gold
pink_isnt_well000

Wow...then maybe you could translate it for us! :roll:
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

Okay, since this is a very long interview, I tried my best to give you the important details. I'm sorry in advance for the spelling mistakes or if something is not well said and I hope others will help me completing it.

Gans worked on the Silent Hill movie for a long time. In fact, he ended it 10 days after its US release which why they didn't have time to do bonus scenes (alternate endings, etc.).

He doesn't want people to buy x different versions of a SH collector so he is going to make one after completing his Onimusha movie.

The 1 hour making-of present on DVD was made by Sony and talks only about the creatures and the architecture. According to him, this making of is incomplete.

Another reason he wants to release the collector so late is to have the opportunity to work with DVD and DVD-HD.

He considers the DVD Zone 1 cover and compression to be a total disaster. He then used his relations with producer Samuel Hadida to personnally give the Zone 2 DVD a better shape. Also, the features in both zones are apparently the same.

The SH collector should contain more information about game/movie translation and his workteam with Akira Yamaoka. He wants to rebuild the road he took to make the movie the way it is. He also confesses that during the making he stayed as an "illustrator" and focused more on the visual aspect of the game. Akira also wanted the movie to be released before the announcement of the 5th game to convince Konami to financially validate it.

For Gans, SH is a popular franchise in Anglo-saxon countries (US/UK) and Germany but is not loved a lot in countries like Japan and France (so why do they get all the goodies? :( )

Commercial success ---> Silent Hill got crushed both in Japan and Germany (because of Mission Impossible 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean). However, he says the movie achieved its 100M$ and did better than Resident Evil. The country where Silent Hill did best however is the US. (50M in theatres, 30M DVD rent and 30M DVD sales)

There will be a Silent Hill 2. Avary returns after adapting the VG Driver

Gans is happy because Silent Hill is one of the biggest horror success of 2006 in terme of box-office. He arrives 3rd after Saw 3 and an american haunting.

Sean Bean ---> The husband was supposed to appear only in the beginning and the end. The executives were afraid to make a movie without a man. Gans confesses he never found his scenes to be useful. These scenes created a problem in the movie: they affected the "subjective" time of the movie by the alternance of day/night. The movie worked as a Twilight Zone episode but the husband scenes messed things up. Gans realized he should have kept Sean Bean's scenes for the DVD only. The movie testing wasn't done with people coming from outside the studios.

Gans also confesses that his movie shouldn't have lasted 2 hours. for a horror movie. With Sean Bean, Gans had to work faster and had to replace some long scenes with something "smaller".

One of the causes he was forced to add Christopher is because he says the studio have a "quantity" reasonning. They want each character to be analysed in function of a particular audience (in this case, Christopher for the men). Considering the freedom he had on his project, Gans doesn't consider it to be a big sacrifice. Also, the studios didn't add any other comments on the movie since it cost them only 14 M$ to acquire and they wanted the movie to be released.

Censorship was blank. As long as the story was fiction and guns were useless it was fine with studios. Plus it is the story of a loving mother. Studios didn't care about the rest. A reason why Gans finds censorship to be absurd and useless.

Cut scenes ---> There is only one scene that didn't made it in the movie: a church scene with Christabella. As for the lying figure scene attacking Anna, it is more complicated. The Lying figure was supposed to be injured and it was trying to slither on the road and go hide in the sewers. This scene was filmed but the crew had only 60 shooting days to do it. So the producers wanted to save money and told Roberto Campanella (the monster supervisor) to stay home. So the crew tried to make the lying figure scene without him but the result was way too bad. Gans and the producers had a fight about making this scene but due to budget limits, the scene didn't made it.

Gans had also a different idea about the end (where alessa appears and slices the cult members). When Christabella stabs Rose, a black smoke comes from the woman and 6 pyramid heads appear, each one holding a different weapon. The 6 PH will then cut, dice, slice the cult members to create a Dante's inferno hommage. Again due to budget and time, Gans had only one day and half to film this scene. Many wanted this scene but the people from the insurance asked something that could be done in one day and half.

The scene with Alessa killing the cult is inspired from the Japanese animation Legend Of The Overfiend. Plans from this anime were also used to complete the editing. Compare the first OVA of Legend Of The Overfiend to see the similarities.

Gans used what critics said about his last movie Brotherhood of the wolf to correct the mistakes in Silent hill. One of them was to put less references to movies, paintings in the SH movie. Being a former movie critique, he says that he always read what people think of his work, good or bad, to improve his next movie.

After watching Silent Hill, Gans regrets that he didn't create fear effects. He didn,t want things like "door closing with high sounds". He wanted a fantasy movie more than horror. His goal was not to take the audience for idiots. The idea that Silent Hill is more of a literary horror pushed him to ignore the usual ideas of slashers and high tension.

Although he tried to create a scary movie where it is more of disturbance than of jump scares just for the audience, he feels bad about the fact that many didn't find silent Hill scary. He doesn't want to consider an audience better than another. Although he likes to hear that Silent hill is nowhere near a slasher.

One of his goals for Silent Hill 2 is to correct mistakes he made with the 1st one which cost him a lot of energy. However, he wonders if he can truly come back for a 2nd movie because of Onimusha. He says that if he doesn't come back, producers agree with him that the 2nd movie should keep the visual aspect of the 1st one. There is no way they are bringing a whole new vision of the town's design. He doesn't want a hollywoodian movie. If he doesn't come back as a director, he strongly suggest an European (and even a French) one. He will however stay close to this movie.

End of part 1.
Varg6

Post by Varg6 »

Sounds good, I wish they'd give us more of a clear cut vision on what they want for the sequel though...Between them not telling us that, and SH5 (full of nothingness), its just killing us SH fans!!!!
Det Som Engang Var...
pink_isnt_well000

Yeah that whole 6 Pyramid Head thing sounds a bit stupid to me.
Varg6

Post by Varg6 »

Amy wrote:Yeah that whole 6 Pyramid Head thing sounds a bit stupid to me.
I wasn't really happy with PH being in it to begin with because there's no point other than the fact to please fanboys/girls, but the 6 PH thing would've gotten us angry, well most of us I think. Would've missed the whole point of "pleasing" the fans.
Det Som Engang Var...
evil doll
Just Passing Through

Post by evil doll »

true, but it was a good interview.
[i]"They've come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of paradice, despoiled by mankind." [/i]
My Silent Hill 3 novelisation in the making now.
Moosefrenzy

Post by Moosefrenzy »

I agree that Christopher's mid-movie part was most likely unnecessary. It took away from concentrating on Rose's travel through the town. This one the one big difference from the game, being taken outside of the town instead of being completely enthralled by the town the whole way through until the end. And I'm glad he realized that some scares are necessary to keep the audience in constant tension.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Great man thx for effort !! Now thats some new facts and im like :shock: 6 PHs > good thing happend that they have ran out of time then 8) and with Sean Bean also didnt expect it, cuz honestly I liked him in the middle, though it was rather like some crimianl movie, totaly not 'shilish'...funny didnt know he was a critic, poor Chritsoph when he read all those nasty critic which raped SH totally...good that he noticed the movie wasnt scary at all maybe SH2 will finally

thx again man
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

Something I fotgot:

Gans also says the 2nd movie will have Neil Gaiman on it. The man who gave birth to Sandman, Stardust, American Gods, etc.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

well that makes sense since Neill Gaiman already had worked with Roger Avary on Beowulf...

here is his bio http://www.neilgaiman.com/about/biography/
The Extreme Piercing
Just Passing Through

Post by The Extreme Piercing »

boblecon1096 wrote:Something I fotgot:

Gans also says the 2nd movie will have Neil Gaiman on it. The man who gave birth to Sandman, Stardust, American Gods, etc.
Are you sure that's the case, boblecon? My French isn't the best, but from my reading of the interview, it seems that Neil Gaiman is helping Roger Avary with his adaptation of Driver.

If, however, Neil Gaiman is involved with Silent Hill 2, then you can colour me excited. I'm a huge Gaiman fan (American Gods is one of my favourite books), and he could do something really special with Silent Hill. And he would have made an infinitely better job of the first film than Avary managed.
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

I do think so.
Il y aura donc bel et bien un Silent Hill 2 : il a été officiellement commandé, il est bien en route. Une fois qu’il aura fini son adaptation du jeu Driver, Roger Avary va plancher dessus, aidé par son pote Neil Gaiman.
This gives:

There will be a Silent Hill 2: it has officially been ordered, it is on its way. When he is finished with his adaptation of the video game Driver, Roger Avary will work on it, with the help of his buddy Neil Gaiman :)