No Last Name: Significant?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Post by Droo »

Was it important to know Eddie's, though?

Hell, even Ernest has a last name, and we never even see him.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

alright, alright sorry.

*shows herself out.*
reginald potamus
Just Passing Through

Post by reginald potamus »

one thing i never understand is if laura is real which i believe she is. And as people say shes in the real world while james is in his world. then how does she appear in the hotel and play the piano if the hotels burnt down?
scatlovers.com a site dedicated to the artful eating of poo
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Maria is simply "Lady Maria" inspired by the poster. She was a dancer/stripper, so she had a single name, probably not even her real name.

And Laura is a real girl. She is innocent of heart so the complexities of the town and plot don't really affect her. I don't see what is so difficult about accepting she is a real girl. She is provided a very good background with links to Mary, that Mary even confirms. Laura existed before Silent Hill 2. She didn't just manifest in the town.

And she isn't given a last name. So what? She was presented as somewhat mysterious, but this is due to her placement. A Happy child looks out of place in a nightmare world. Giving her no last name is part of her mystery.

Even then, I think it adds to her child emphasis. People refer to kids by their first names. I think using her last name would invoke ideas of her being too mature. Full names just sound like adult titles. A child wouldn't take pride in their family name yet, so it seems more naive and child-like to refer to her by her first name only.
Pandora's XBox
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Pandora's XBox »

reginald potamus wrote:one thing i never understand is if laura is real which i believe she is. And as people say shes in the real world while james is in his world. then how does she appear in the hotel and play the piano if the hotels burnt down?
The hotel isn't burned down, just damaged. It's still there and Laura-- or any other real person-- can still go into it. It just looks, to James, like it did when he last saw it.
Droo

Post by Droo »

People take pride in their family names?

Freaky.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The hotel isn't burned down
It's pretty much useless. The hotel that James goes through until he watches the tape, yes, is the same as it was three years ago--actually: it is from three years ago. After that, however, it's reverted to its present state: 43%+ burnt--a shell of a hotel.

James never saw it destroyed; he didn't even know it had ever been ablaze. Maria did, though. It's been this way for awhile now, in fact.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jedah
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jedah »

Hasn’t anyone seen the movie intro when you don’t press any buttons at the title screen of SH2? In one of the sequence of the movie, you see a video of Eddie and Laura in front of Eddie's van, you see Eddie looking at a map, and you can see Laura kind of arguing with Eddie. IMO judging from that screen, and the fact that Eddie and Laura seem to know each other before the events in the Bowl O’ Rama, that Eddie and Laura came together to SH, in the same Van. So I highly doubt that Laura is not real. About the last name, well as you all know she was an Orphan, not many Orphans know their last name.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/jedahpr/banner7v2.jpg[/img]
"The Monster inside of me as grown this big"
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

They changed that scene because they didn't want Laura to be able to see Maria. That's why Maria says I don't like bowling and waits outside. Laura would either be saying "who are you, and where's Mary?" or "James who are you talking to, there's nobody there".
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pandora's XBox
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Pandora's XBox »

the Adversary wrote:It's pretty much useless.
It's not functioning, right, but it isn't burned to a crisp, i.e., not enter-able, i.e., Laura can still go in and poke around and draw animals on the glass.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Except that Laura isn't there in the burnt-out hotel.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Pandora's XBox
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Pandora's XBox »

the Adversary wrote:Except that Laura isn't there in the burnt-out hotel.
Oiy. *rubs face* Whatever...
She is IN SOME VERSION of the hotel that isn't in James's head.