Origins test play w/review [SPOILERS] updated w/pics on pg 4

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Oh man!Breakable waepons. Thats no fair. I wonder if there will be a gun or two or ten avalible in the game. Or will the gun jam. That would suck.

You are so lucky!You got to hang out and play the game. Damn!I wish I was you.Can't believe how that tralier looked. At first I was like "what the hell?" Then I was just surounded by the atmosphere and wanted more.

I guess I gotta get a job and buy a doggone PSP.
Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

Ugh, a whole new console for one game. Maybe I can just borrow one....
emehlen
Just Passing Through

Post by emehlen »

Lucky bastard! Yes, I have got to get a PSP now!
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

well seeing the GTA Stories situation when Rockstar hardly denied port rumours till the very end, there still is a hope for us. If they would admit that there will be a port then most people would pizz on PSP right away. I am still optimistic :)
Disciple of Claudia

Post by Disciple of Claudia »

This game sounds like it's going to be a bit of a challenge to play. Thanks for the review! I've got to get a PSP now.
Hopscotch is Civilization!
Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

Watched the 9-min playing preview, they definitely don't show the Lisa scene. Way to see something you weren't supposed to! hehe That's our 8th. :p We love ya! And awesome review. So glad one of us got to go.
Xev

Post by Xev »

Yup! Ill be buying one in a bit too; I think Ill wait til the game actually comes out though. It sounds like this game wanted to fit in difinite with the storyline and make itself worthful with new information. Maybe Travis is Alessa's real father XD

Nice review 8th Aspect!
johnny_death
Just Passing Through

Post by johnny_death »

Wow, this game is turning out better than I thought. :)
"Without you, everything falls apart, without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces"
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Is the map and streets the same as SH1?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
The 8th Aspect
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by The 8th Aspect »

Thanks for the compliments everyone; makes me happy since I don't think I write very well. :P

>Lucky bastard!
Bastard?

>So what did the save point look like?
Well, I only came across two save points and neither one was going to be a permanent fixture. They weren't sure where they were going to put them. The first one is that red slash looking thing when you come across the map in Silent Hill. The second one was located in the hospital next to a telephone. It was a red triangle sticking out of the wall. I doubt that's what the final save point is going to look like; at least I hope not.

>So I take it ALL Melee weapons are breakable this time around?
Yes, and the producers were rather proud of that addition.

>So was there anything else that felt different from the SH1-3 gamestyle besides the breakable weapons and fistfighting?
Not really. That's kind of the beauty of it though. It's staying very true to the feel of those other games, which for me, made me happy.

>What kind of inventory system do they have (one big loop, like in SH1 and 2, or divided into sections like in 3, or something new looking)?
Wow, I haven't played 3 in a while and don't remember the inventory system. It's not one big loop; it's separated by items, weapons and melee weapons. Unfortunately, I didn't get any guns so that was empty. Over all, the inventory system does look different.

>did that play into the puzzles? Like altering something in the nightmare version to make a change in normal, or scrounging through both realities to find neccesary items or paths?
Yes, you have to alternate between worlds to find certain items to move on. Not necessarily paths, but that may come later.

>hmmm, should I read it? So tempting...
S'up'd to you my friend. I know if someone else was writing this I wouldn't read it. :wink:

>If they would admit that there will be a port then most people would pizz on PSP right away. I am still optimistic
Exactly and as well you should be. Nothing is for certain, but I tell you one thing, the answer I got regarding the whole porting issue was very cut and dry. This game was always intended to be on the PSP and if rumors got out that there would be a port, many people wouldn't buy the game.

>they definitely don't show the Lisa scene.
Heh, that was fun. The game was ripped out of my hands when that cut scene started. Honestly, I saw other things while I was there, and one of them was Lisa. So, that wouldn't have mattered.

>Is the map and streets the same as SH1?
I'm inclined to say yes, as I barely remember the SH1 map. You can look at the whole map but can't read any of the streets if you have it in the zoom'd out mode. You have to zoom in to be able to read the street names and such.
[i]I am[/i] one of Christian's most [i]awesome[/i] Peeps.

[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php#1]SHHF FAQs[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=122]Sig/Avatar Restrictions[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=70]Request Avatars and Sigs[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=249]SHHF Guidelines[/url]
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The inventory in SH3 was divided into three sections, Items (key items, flashlight, radio, etc.), Weapons, and Supplies (health drinks and ammo and such).
Just for reference. :P

Were all the weapons as easy to break as that beginning sledge hammer? Did the physical model or inventory icon of the weapon change when it broke? Just how the hell DO you break a scalpel, considering it's a solid ultra-sharp mass of the strongest, most expensive steel made? :P Knives made from the same steel as scalpels can be used for half a decade before they lose their edge.
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Dont go far in your head how and why is steel breaking in that game after few swings because you will not find a reasonable answer. Just try to forget about it :) but oh well it is dumb allright
Xev

Post by Xev »

It is funny how they were proud to add something that had a negative review in SH4! That in itself is making it more of a challenge though I suppose! Im wondering how I will like the hand to hand fighting... Seems they wanted to get a feel for the basics with a game that is based on the preliminary idea of SH itself.
Lost In Fog
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Lost In Fog »

Oh, yea! My PSP is ready and willing. Just gotta beat Metal Gear: PO and I'm set! Thanks, Judy! :D
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/lostinfog_photos/lif2.jpg[/img]
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Well...~

I did not read the post (im not going to spoil this game). but judging from your responses its gonna kick ass.
breaking wepons oO sounds cool but i hope its not like Dead rising kind of break... where it just disapears...
oO?
BloodRedLion
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by BloodRedLion »

breaking wepons oO sounds cool but i hope its not like Dead rising kind of break... where it just disapears...

Have you played SH4? The same thing that happened there will probably happen in 0rigins.
The 8th Aspect
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by The 8th Aspect »

>Were all the weapons as easy to break as that beginning sledge hammer?
Let me back track a little. The hammer wasn't all that easy to break, but because I used it on one nurse like 345165767 different times because I couldn't get the stomp down right, is what killed it. I probably could have used it for awhile. The scalpal was actually a pretty good weapon as it was like the box cutter in SH4. It was quick and easy to use. It seems like you'll be picking up a lot of different melee weapons. Some things like the glass bottle and portable television broke on the first swing.

>Did the physical model or inventory icon of the weapon change when it broke?
It basically disappeared, just as if it was a health drink. Once you used it/broke it, it was gone.

>It is funny how they were proud to add something that had a negative review in SH4
I didn't mind the breakable weapons in SH4. I just wished it didn't stay in your damn inventory once you broke it. I think that was the biggest problem people had.

>i hope its not like Dead rising kind of break... where it just disapears...
Not quite sure what you mean. I've never played that game.

You're welcome, ~L+I+F~.

[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php#1]SHHF FAQs[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=122]Sig/Avatar Restrictions[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=70]Request Avatars and Sigs[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=249]SHHF Guidelines[/url]
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'm pretty certain that the streets etc. are all exactly like the SH1 map. It's not hard to get info on that from Konami or even from playing the game itself. All the games appear for teh msot aprt to remain true to the town layout as well as the basic architecture layout of the buildings themselves.

Questions:
Was there any other cool music you heard that you can describe?

For items like the TV set... Are those actually around in your inventory :? ... or are they part of the furniture, but when there's a monster nearby, an button icon pops up suddenly when you're near it telling you to throw it? How does that work?

Is there a button that you can hit to equip/unequip a selected weapon without going into the menu?

And I'm sure that you still find cool disturbing notes on slips of paper, newspaper articles, documents or diary entries scattered around? :)

Did you encounter any of those subtle yet classic HOLY SHIT! moments around (you don't have to tell us specifically where or what, just yes/no :P )? I'm referring to stuff like in SH2 where James is in the bathroom and a sudden noise freaks you out, or like in SH3 with the mannequin head? 8)
The 8th Aspect
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by The 8th Aspect »

>Was there any other cool music you heard that you can describe?
The only music I heard, that I can recall, was during the opening cut scene which you can hear in the nine minute IGN clip. The rest of my play was all the creepy sounds we're used to.

>For items like the TV set... Are those actually around in your inventory.
Yes. You have a separate section where you store your melee weapons. Those mentioned above are considered melee weapons.

>but when there's a monster nearby, an button icon pops up suddenly when you're near it telling you to throw it? How does that work?
No. You hit the D-pad to bring up the melee inventory on the screen. You scroll left or right using the D-pad and select which one you want to use. Once you select, the inventory goes away and you can now use it the same way you would any other weapon. Or, you can just hit select and do it the old fashion way. By the way, he doesn't throw it, he basically smashes it over an enemies head.

>Is there a button that you can hit to equip/unequip a selected weapon without going into the menu?
Yes.

>And I'm sure that you still find cool disturbing notes on slips of paper, newspaper articles, documents or diary entries scattered around?
Yup.

>Did you encounter any of those subtle yet classic HOLY SHIT! moments around
Not quite, just a little one; had to to with one of the puzzles. I don't think anything will come close to the SH2 bathroom scene.

Xev

Post by Xev »

>It is funny how they were proud to add something that had a negative review in SH4
I didn't mind the breakable weapons in SH4. I just wished it didn't stay in your damn inventory once you broke it. I think that was the biggest problem people had.

Yes thats exactly it. I didnt mind them either because they seemed like added bonuses actually. The space deal is what was annoying.