What do you think ps3 will do for SH5?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Pyramidred
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidred »

It'll make the monster look like they've been cleaned and waxed.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I think PS3 will be great for Silent Hill 5 I mean, it's got more power than the 360 so I think if they have the worlds shift in Real Time, the PS3 would do that easily I think, it would also make the game a bit more creepy you know, because instead of just watching an FMV or Cut Scene of the worlds shifting, you could run along the corridor, and then it changes. It would be great
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:I think PS3 will be great for Silent Hill 5 I mean, it's got more power than the 360 so I think if they have the worlds shift in Real Time, the PS3 would do that easily I think, it would also make the game a bit more creepy you know, because instead of just watching an FMV or Cut Scene of the worlds shifting, you could run along the corridor, and then it changes. It would be great
It must have more power because it costs more? Look at all the ps3 titles they all run at 30fps or less, where in 360 games tend to run 30 or better. I think that shows how much more powerful that system is.

Also I hope sixaxis is not included or mandatory if it is included, games are getting ruined by it. It just doesn't work the same as a wiimote's waggle.

I honestly think this thread will degrade into a 360 vs ps3 thread, with just "silent hill in mind"

Does no one remember in silent hill three they had real time otherworld shift in the sewers? All I have to say it was possible to do on a ps2, I don't see how it would be any more difficult to do on 360 or ps3.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

I refuse to buy a PS3, end of story. Even if a PS3 exclusive Silent Hill title was released, I wouldn't buy one. I'd hire the game and the console.

Let's face it - PS3 currently just isn't delivering in a manner that generally pleases everyone. Until Sony irons out the problems, including the damn price, I think that it's not going to do much for the Silent Hill series, especially since whatever special effects the game has will also apparently hold up on a 360.
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

alone in the town wrote:Make it inaccessible for a lot of people and likely harm the game's sales.
Ahem...wake up...it's next gen time. It's available on both major next gen platforms. I guess you'd prefer another ps2 game because you can't afford to upgrade?

PS3 is beginning to come along - and it's taking pretty much the same amount of time that the 360 took coming along. It's the better console by a hair but currently doesn't have the better games - that's the real problem. It'll probably be the death of PS3 though - it wasn't a great idea to allow Microsoft such a huge head start. I enjoy mine, though (but I've pimped it out quite a bit, too) and it has been consistently fixing a lot of internal problems. I' always expected 2008 to be the year of the PS3 - it could still disappoint but there are a lot of promising titles. Lair was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me though.

There were supposedly some sixaxis improvements..the small game Flow works amazingly with the six axis but other games - like Lair - just don't cut it so yeah - mandatory six axis play tends to hurt. But it has been used it some pretty classy and effective ways in games like Ultimate Alliance and Call of Duty etc. It's a neat little function but I think the main draw is just that it's cordless.

Real time otherworld shift in the sewers wasn't a hard effect at all...because it didn't technically shift...you just walked into an area and that area got rustier - that's not tough. Just the bit we saw in a trailer though, with the peeling...that's something that would be tough to do with ps2 technology. PS3 may have the advantage in their use of the blue ray disc, but it's not really the system rather how the developers choose to utilize the hardware.

PS: I understand the whining about the price - but for the technology at your disposal you're really getting a discount - not to mention that if you add on accessories and max out each platform the 360 ends up costing more in the long run. Games need to return to their old price though - 60 dollars is fucked up.

PS3 is a kickass machine.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

Ahem...wake up...it's next gen time. It's available on both major next gen platforms. I guess you'd prefer another ps2 game because you can't afford to upgrade?
...Why do you make assumptions about people without any factual basis?
It DOES isolate a lot of people with its price, which is one of the reasons I refuse to buy one.

And before you try it - I can afford one. I'm informed about the PS3's features, and it's my informed choice to not purchase one.
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

Smokey wrote:
alone in the town wrote:Make it inaccessible for a lot of people and likely harm the game's sales.
It's the better console by a hair but currently doesn't have the better games
You mean all that power to render half the frame rate most 360 games have, yeah power to the max. Or like how all the games that came out for ps3 were delayed 4 months or more, or that ever ps3 game gets delayed, or that the games seem to render out a brown hue over everything. I guess if this comparison is right then the xbox/gamecube were just a hair better than the ps2 :p

here is some meat that makes ps3 controller only slightly better than 360s

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/19/tgs07 ... led-by-ea/
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

Goodnight wrote:
...Why do you make assumptions about people without any factual basis?
It DOES isolate a lot of people with its price, which is one of the reasons I refuse to buy one.
That's not my point - my point is the hardware is out there to make a better looking, higher quality game - it's moving forward with or without you but I want a next gen game, because that's where we are now. Be it 360 or PS3.

The PS2 was better than the Xbox because it had the better titles...the Xbox 360 is currently better than PS3 because IT has the better titles...but the kind of games I like to play are going to start pouring out on the PS3 which will make it, to me, my favorite console. But I have both now, and I'm still using the PS3 more, and enjoying it more. Obviously, that has nothing to with exclusivity...I can just do more stuff with it, now. I prefer PS3.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

"It's not what the system will do for SH, but what SH can do for the system."

I guess they think whatever system you put a game that's popular/well known like SH, it'll help the sales of the system go up. That's why (I assume) they put Origins on PSP. PSP wasn't selling too well. Maybe they thought putting SH on it could boost the sales.
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I played on my friends PS3 for the first time the other day, and I've gotta say out of all the new consoles, PS3 is definately my favourite.

I find I'm much to lazy for the Wii, and the 360 I just find boring.

I really like the way you can use the PS3 controller normally, but you can also tip it and shake it to interact with games. I think it's going to be perfect for SH5, specially when shaking of those nasty creatures. It just feels really nautral.

Fuckin expensive though!
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Prices of PS3 came down recently.

80Gig + Motorstorm is $500 (Software driven BC 70%)
60Gig is $450 (PS2 hardware driven BC 90%)
40 Gig is $400 (No BC 0%) - releases in November

I bought the 60 Gig a couple days back, and I really love it! Haven't bought any games yet but been updating teh firmware, playing with remote play on PSP, downloading videos and demos and seeing everything it can do, come Christmas time I will buy some games.

If any of you have seen Ratchet and Clank and other Sony exclusives they're really been putting lots of details etc into their levels and it all looks so amazing! There's definately worlds of polish there by those who optimize their games for PS3. All the other shoddy games on PS3 are 360 ports where they try to reuse their code for PS3... But PS3 exclusives are all looking mighty fine and reputably run well!
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i don't see how anyone could say the 360 is boring, and thats why they don't want to buy one. i'd rather you just use the lame ass "i hate microsoft" excuse. it basically has many of the same games on the PS3, but they also have their own exclusives: condemned (which any fan of SH should like), gears of war, dead rising, bioshock, halo3 (although imnot a fan), mass effect, etc.

anyway, only reason i haven't bought a PS3 yet was there weren't any exclusives for it that i HAD to play and also the hefty price tag. it's nice to see the price came down, however i still don't see any games that are must haves (for me). i probably won't get one for another 2 years.

to get back on topic.. i think the PS3 version of this game will be great. just as great as the 360 version. i dont think either will be any better than the other, yet im sure a graphics debate will spark up on some mb. it'll be interesting though to see if that controller the PS3 has will be implemented in some way for SH5.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Skele wrote:i don't see how anyone could say the 360 is boring..
I just really aint into shooting games for american boys and that seems to be the bulk of 360 games. Although the more original titles like Condemned & Dead Rising are both superb. I've always found Playstation have a bigger selection of more unsuaul titles.

But yeah, end of the day, they all basicly do the same thing. Its like betamax or vhs. I just wish they'd stop making exclusive consoles and just make a generic one.

Whatever has the most Silent Hill style goodness is where its at.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Breaka wrote:
But yeah, end of the day, they all basicly do the same thing. Its like betamax or vhs. I just wish they'd stop making exclusive consoles and just make a generic one.
You realize that the console wars is what keeps the price low? right.
If you end up with just one console, it will monopolize the entire market.
Mister_Creazil
Gravedigger

Post by Mister_Creazil »

I think the only good thing PS3 will do for Silent Hill 5 is graphics, and being able to see things better. Nothing more, there are no real good other advantages.
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

Mister_Creazil wrote:I think the only good thing PS3 will do for Silent Hill 5 is graphics, and being able to see things better. Nothing more, there are no real good other advantages.
http://jbooth.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3- ... -spin.html

You'd think that.

change graphics to sixaxis gimmick and you'd be right.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Scyron wrote:
Mister_Creazil wrote:I think the only good thing PS3 will do for Silent Hill 5 is graphics, and being able to see things better. Nothing more, there are no real good other advantages.
http://jbooth.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3- ... -spin.html

You'd think that.

change graphics to sixaxis gimmick and you'd be right.
thanks for the blog. long read.. i think my favorite of all the things said was

""I'm often amazed at how potent this type of rhetoric proves to be"

The fanboy comments pretty much prove this one.

My 2 cents as a gamer and software developer is that the PS3 is only impressive if you avoid experiencing the 360."
abraxus
Just Passing Through

Post by abraxus »

Why is everyone freaking out about the price? Anyone know how economy works? Jesus, I brough the PS2 on the day it was released here and you know how much it cost me? $1200 with 2 controllers and a memory card, and back then, $1200 was like $2000 now! Jesus, it actually is worth that much more than a PS2, and yes, in a few years it'll be down to $200, just like the rest of them. ANyone know how much the PS1 cost new? Or the ridiculus Saturn? There's nowhere else to go, the 360 is inferior, that's factual, have some respect for the Platform that spawned the best horror series of all(with RE coming in real close thanks to RE4)!!
A bird is struggling out of it's egg. The egg is it's world.
Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

abraxus wrote:Why is everyone freaking out about the price? Anyone know how economy works? Jesus, I brough the PS2 on the day it was released here and you know how much it cost me? $1200 with 2 controllers and a memory card, and back then, $1200 was like $2000 now! Jesus, it actually is worth that much more than a PS2, and yes, in a few years it'll be down to $200, just like the rest of them. ANyone know how much the PS1 cost new? Or the ridiculus Saturn? There's nowhere else to go, the 360 is inferior, that's factual, have some respect for the Platform that spawned the best horror series of all(with RE coming in real close thanks to RE4)!!
yeah, i can see you're the consumer most companies wish they had in abundance. really, it's all up to the individual.. if they feel as if spending x amount of $ for a particular item is worth it, great. i had just bought a 360 when PS3 released. i passed on getting a PS3 due to a. me just buying a 360, b. the lack of games, c. the price, and d. newly released consoles almost always have some kind of defect or bug they work out by the third wave of a consoles release.

either way, as someone else said, this topic became a 360 vs ps3 debate. i still think the 360 is better, but by the time the PS3 finally passes it as the better console. microsoft will probably be working on their next console.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Chrism~ wrote:
Breaka wrote:
You realize that the console wars is what keeps the price low? right.
If you end up with just one console, it will monopolize the entire market.
Not so. It aint like one particular make of DVD monopolizes the market. Look at the PC forinstance, loads of manufacturers at a wide price range, but everyone gets to play the same games. I think consoles should go down the same route.