Bits, Bobs and Doo-Dads in SH:0

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Bits, Bobs and Doo-Dads in SH:0

Post by Mis Krist. »

Ehh, well I took a double-check around this tiny section of the forum and didn't really find anything that fell under this catagory--there are, perhaps, two or three individual threads that discuss individual "bits and bobs" but I wanted to compile as many as possible in here for purposes of order and possible Quick Links in the future.

Also, because these things made me squee when I realized them.

Intro (during the credits on the screen, after Travis emerges from his truck): Play the game with headphones on and listen close--you can hear Alessa calling to him, twice. Her voice is faint enough where you don't properly hear it if you don't have headphones on, but it can distinctly be heard in a creepy, raspy voice, when he passes the two billboards.

The Gillespie house:
Drewfus wrote:A painting very similar to Misty Day - Remains Of The Judgment is found on the second floor of the Gillespie house.
versatile soup spoon wrote:There is a picture of Dahlia and Alessa standing in front of their house. It can be found on the top floor.
In town: A dumpster near the "play field" (or something similar to that title) rattles each time you walk near it.
Drewfus wrote:The fire exit leading to the rooftop where you fight the Moth in SH1 is roped off, with "Pest Control" on the sign.
Mockingbird wrote:The Post Office's roof also has a door with large cocoons on it. When Travis examines it, he says "Moths."
Alchemilla Hospital: Posters adorn the wall which say "DON'T PLAY WITH MATCHES." A cheap reference, perhaps, to the dread fire?

The drawer in room 205 [Otherside] with the plastic lungs has the words BREATHE written on.

Sanitarium: Posters regarding PTSD, labeled "PTSD: Fact or Fiction?" PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) is a trauma-induced disorder that has an interesting history: it was actually removed from the DSM-II, which lead to Vietnam vets unable to receive benefits from their blatant trauma. Chaim F. Shatan, a Polish-Canadian psychologist who advocated Vietnam veterans' rights and psychological welfare, had a part in PTSD being included in the DSM-III by strongly pursuing its inclusion in this new addition.

The reason it always intrigues me to see the posters, as well as the "fact or fiction?" bit, is because during the time period of SH0 (1976?), PTSD was undoubtedly under scrutiny.
just a dead boy wrote:When doing the Iron Lung puzzle in the Sanitarium, there are a set of rules (3) on a note in the top right of the screen. Some person has written "4. Have fun!" underneath those rules
The Jocasta Artifact: Jocasta, in the Sophocles play regarding Oedipus, was the mother and (unbeknowst to her) wife of King Oedipus. Upon discovering the truth of her second-husband's identity, Jocasta kills herself. Could this have any connection to a possible under-handed and rather horrific abuse between Mrs. O'Grady and son?

Artaud Theatre: The production the theatre advertises, "The Tempest," which is one of Shakespeare's plays. Indeed, the theatre seems to specialize exclusively in showing the Bard's work as evidenced by several posters arounnd the theatre (Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, etc.)

The theatre itself contains an Otherside which seems to hold ancient text pertaining to Silent Hill's native religion, paranormal activity, and a memo we should all be familiar with, as a very similar one containing poltergeists was found in SH1. Now this is my theory but personally I believe this weird Otherside has much to do with the cult and the ancient texts upon which their faith was founded: Travis remarks that the books "aren't even made of paper," and that they're written in a language he can't understand.

I'm going to take my time analyzing "The Tempest," as I really think there can be a lot learned from comparing the play to Silent Hill: Origins. I hope to get into this some time over the vacation, when I'll actually have free time... Just know for now that the creatures called Ariels in the game are actually named after a character from "The Tempest."

I know the list isn't big right now, but I'm willing to expand upon this initial post with anything you guys have discovered. I'm hoping to make it into something a compilation of sorts. PLEASE MARK ANY MASSIVE SPOILERS (such as the ending/plot twists/deaths/etc.) WITH THE SPOILER TAG. This goes for ALL games and ALL sections: I haven't gotten that far into the game and I don't want someone to ruin it for me...

Thanks to Mockingbird, Drewfus, Krysta, just a dead boy and versatile soup spoon for their contributions!
Last edited by Mis Krist. on 07 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Droo

Post by Droo »

A painting very similar to Misty Day - Remains Of The Judgment is found on the second floor of the Gillespie house.

The fire exit leading to the rooftop where you fight the Moth in SH1 is roped off, with "Pest Control" on the sign.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I thought that's what the Pest Control thing was about! Nice, Drew. :)
Droo

Post by Droo »

I didn't notice it first. Someone else here pointed it out to me, although I can't remember who.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The Post Office's roof also has a door with large cocoons on it. When Travis examines it, he says "Moths."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

when Travis enters room 500 in the Otherworld, he goes loong way down. I'm sure guys you had a feeling like you have seen and played this before.
just a dead boy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by just a dead boy »

I'll tag it as a spoiler just in case:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
When doing the Iron Lung puzzle in the Sanitarium, there are a set of rules (3) on a note in the top right of the screen. Some person has written "4. Have fun!" underneath those rules :P
[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8130/sigshhpv4.jpg[/img]
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

There is a picture of dahlia and allessa standing infront of there house on the top floor of there house
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Oy. Not that kind of gothic. American Gothic is the name of an actual painting.

I'm going to include some bits about "The Tempest" in here, as I think there might be something to that.. thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
just a dead boy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Maybe some usefull info for the tempest bit ;)
[Stage flashback] [Shakespeare’s The Tempest: Act I Scene II]

Female (Miranda): Beseech you, father
Male (Prospero): Hence! Hang not on my garments.
Female: Sir, have pity; I’ll be his surety.
Male: Silence! One word more shall not chide, thee, if not hate thee. What! (cough)
An advocate for an imposter! (cough) Hush! (cough)
Thou think there is no more such—
Female: You ok, Tony?
Male: Yes, yes fine! Just a headache… A damned nosebleed. .. You mind if we stop for a moment?

[Alternate Forest Flashback] [Shakspeare’s the Tempest: Act III scene II]

Male (Caliban): Be not afeard; The isle is full of noises, sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not. Sometimes a thousand tangling instruments, will hum about my ears, and sometimes voices, that, if I had waked after a long sleep, will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming, the clouds methought would open and show riches, ready to drop upon me; that, when I waked, I cried to dream again.
:)
SonOfSpardaDude
Just Passing Through

Post by SonOfSpardaDude »

In the Cedar Grove Sanitarium, on the iron lung puzzle part (while messing with 5 pressures) look at the top left. There's a set of instruction printed on. They are numbered 1. 2. and .3 They are too small to read good. But there's also a pen written .4 in blue ink saying "Have Fun" possibly a reference to messing with a patient's life.
Last edited by SonOfSpardaDude on 06 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=Red]The world was a sandbox for Man, made by God. But thou destruction of the world was not of God's, but of Man's desire to ever expand beyond over. And thus we cower within our guilt.[/color][/b]
just a dead boy
My Bestsellers Clerk

SonOfSpardaDude wrote:In the sanitarium, on the iron lung puzzle part (while messing with 5 pressures) look at the top left. There's a set of instruction printed on. They are numbered 1. 2. and 3. They are too small to read. But there's also a pen written .4 in blue ink saying "Have Fun" possibly a reference to messing with a patient's life.
Already found that one ;)
I posted it on the first page :P
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I'll go back and edit my original post now with the new information, but please make sure there are no repeat posts! I don't want this thread to get cluttered. :)
just a dead boy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Bits, Bobs and Doo-Dads in SH:0

Krist. wrote: Just know for now that the creatures called Ariels in the game are actually named after a character from "The Tempest."

They are ;) The ariel is discribed as an airy spirit within the Tempest itself. I( haven't read it yet, but I will most certainly do that in a while.
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

I remember during the Tempest test performance in the theater,
a guy named Tony who played a part of a priest or some bad guy, got a nosebleed during Act I scene 2
and then there was a memo saying that
a "child" which might possibly be Alessa, sneaked in and was let by the crew to watch the show. Therefore, the monster 'Caliban' might be something from Alessa's mind
does that make it a reference to SH1? :?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The memo doesn't say "child," it just says "Girl snuck into theater today" and that they were probably "playing hooky." If anyone it was Lisa, being an aspiring actress.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jezebel in Hell
Just Passing Through

Post by Jezebel in Hell »

On subject of the theater, Shakespeare has a presence in Origins aside from the Tempest and the other advertised productions. The monster "Two Back" is a reference to him as well. In the Shakespearian play Othello, the character Iago says "I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs." "The beast with two backs" is obviously a euphemism for sex.
Oh, what a crippled existence nine-hundred years must lead.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

there's a note in the general store which reads "here comes a candle to light you to bed, here comes the Butcher to chop off your head" which I believe is a reference to 1984

also you find the "Redeemer" in a motel room next to a Confederate Flag(strange for New England eh?) and a gun magazine :lol:
Last edited by Doo-glas on 01 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Suika Ibuki
Just Passing Through

Post by Suika Ibuki »

Some things I noticed after my 2nd playthrough:
  • - On the Green Lion Antique Shop, there's a portrait of the infamous Dog, and its staring on the hole on the wall.

- The pool where you get the Jeweled Heart is heart shaped

- Holding the Room 500 key makes Travis scared (examine it)

- The room where you meet Lisa and Kaufmann in the motel, in the Otherworld, the room has a Twoback in it, implying what happened on that room.

- Before you drop down on that room, you can hear Lisa (sobbing or laughing?) and Kaufmann.. Moaning

- There's a face on the wall on one of the empty rooms in the Otherworld Motel. (forgot which room was it, perhaps in the pool area)
[img]http://www.ms.pestermom.com/zomg/sig.jpg[/img]
Laser is not difficult.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Honestly...

Ok, I've got a few then... The Flauros...
Is shaped like a pyramid
Shocker, yeah.

Also if you enter the Konami code in the game...
You hear a ding! OH! And you get a costume that looks curiously like a character from
Silent Hill 3
named
Vincent
And finally... the coup de grâce:

Dahlia....
is bloody crazy.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down