Moderately interesting PH article

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

Moderately interesting PH article

Post by Darkness Concept »

called "Seeing Red" from escapist mag. Briefly delves into creator's ideas behind PH via interview segments, his place in the SH universe, and the profound fan fascination with him as a character (or at least attempts to explain the authors).

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:

If you have yet to complete SH2, I would reccomend passing on this article as it covers main plot twists. Otherwise, enjoy.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Seeing-Red
There Was a Hole Here...
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/octaveorange/waiting.jpg[/img]
It's Gone Now.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Nicely written article, though it doesn't really tell us anything new. I do find it interesting that the developers specifically called him a Butcher, which helps my "Pyramid Head = Shadow Archetype = Butcher" theory.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

AuraTwilight wrote:Nicely written article, though it doesn't really tell us anything new. I do find it interesting that the developers specifically called him a Butcher, which helps my "Pyramid Head = Shadow Archetype = Butcher" theory.
Yeah, but people will always argue that PH is SH2/James specific.
There Was a Hole Here...
It's Gone Now.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Oh, I know PH IS SH2 specific, but the Butcher is a similar kind of entity. It's like how all the monsters in the game were of a similar nature of representing certain darknesses, but weren't the EXACT SAME monsters.

Both Pyramid Head and the Butcher are the Shadow Archetype. I'll link you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

QUOTE: The idea of a humanlike monster with a deep red pyramid-shaped helmet sounds ridiculous on paper. However, the slick crimson stains upon it, a similarly spattered butcher's apron, heavy boots and a huge knife just work.

Well said. Somehow, he's creepier than the sum of his parts.
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

AuraTwilight wrote:Oh, I know PH IS SH2 specific, but the Butcher is a similar kind of entity. It's like how all the monsters in the game were of a similar nature of representing certain darknesses, but weren't the EXACT SAME monsters.

Both Pyramid Head and the Butcher are the Shadow Archetype. I'll link you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29
I understand what a shadow archetype is. My misunderstanding was more along the lines of PH=SA=B. Now I see what you're saying, and I agree (PH=SA, B=SA, SA=running concept between games). Thanks for the link :D
Oddish wrote:QUOTE: The idea of a humanlike monster with a deep red pyramid-shaped helmet sounds ridiculous on paper. However, the slick crimson stains upon it, a similarly spattered butcher's apron, heavy boots and a huge knife just work.

Well said. Somehow, he's creepier than the sum of his parts.
Agreed, and I appreciated the article as a whole for such reasons. Glad you enjoyed.
There Was a Hole Here...
It's Gone Now.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Congrats, Aura, you just converted someone. =D

Well, it's nice to see an article about it here and today that isn't whining about video game violence.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Nice little article, thanks for the link.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
ghostshotgun
Just Passing Through

Post by ghostshotgun »

wait wait wait..... back to the shadow archetype thing. Was the Butcher or pyramid head ever even "real" or was that all an illusion made by james and travis OR possibly alessa
...watching.you.within.sniping.range...
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

They had nothing to do with Alessa. And no, neither of them physically exist. They are manifestations.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
ghostshotgun
Just Passing Through

Post by ghostshotgun »

so the battles i had to go through were just them dealing with their inner demon or just a past incident

that seems kinda pointless and yet it doesn't :arrow: see i liked the idea of putting them in there but i kinda feel like they were fighting themselves the whole time ........ But then again that is what adds to the SH game greatness so i guess it doesn't bother me that much
...watching.you.within.sniping.range...
Cyzyk
Just Passing Through

Post by Cyzyk »

It's a nice summary of her views of P-head, but doesn't go into any deep analysis.

Which might be a good thing, seeing how some people tend to confuse deep with complicated.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

so the battles i had to go through were just them dealing with their inner demon or just a past incident

that seems kinda pointless and yet it doesn't Arrow see i liked the idea of putting them in there but i kinda feel like they were fighting themselves the whole time ........ But then again that is what adds to the SH game greatness so i guess it doesn't bother me that much
That's how it is with all monsters in the SH storylines, they're all creations of a person's mind, made real by the supernatural properties of the Otherworld.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>That's how it is with all monsters in the SH storylines, they're all creations of a person's mind, made real by the supernatural properties of the Otherworld.

Yeah, this article gave me no new information. Nice reading, though.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

It was very interseting. All old information but good information nonetheless.

I stand firm on the Shadow Archetype theory.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
humanwreck
Just Passing Through

Post by humanwreck »

AuraTwilight wrote: I do find it interesting that the developers specifically called him a Butcher, which helps my "Pyramid Head = Shadow Archetype = Butcher" theory.
You mean the developers called the Red Pyramid Thing a butcher?
If so, where did they do that?