Alessa looked pretty generic in this game, don't ya think?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Did Alessa look cheezy in this game?

Yeah, very cheap.
51%
No, she looked the usual.
22%
I really don't care
19%
I honestly didn't notice...
8%

Total votes: 78

angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

That's what I mean. It looks like they just slapped them together and threw them into the game.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I actually liked the look of Lisa and Alessa.. and being that sh1 was a very old last gen title.. none of the characters in that game really looked all that great to me in detail in faces. So I think what the creators were trying to accomplish, was to make the game look like it actually takes place before Origins.. but still has ps2 quality graphic's.. but at the same time they were trying not to make it look to enhanced.

As for Alessa not looking like Alessa.. she actually does look like Alessa.. only much much younger in this game. And when sh1 came out.. we were seeing the Alessa of many years later.. the body of the original Alessa who was burned after all was still alive.. and still had time to age like a normal person. But the Alessa in the other world.. the projection also could have aged like normal.. only as a spirit on the other side.

in closing I thought they looked just fine.. the reason also that they looked generic.. could be that this game was a psp handheld title originally.. and the developers.. did not take the time to actually polish the game more. They sorta enhanced the graphic's slightly for the ps2 version.. but did not really redo the character models at all. Thus this is the reasoning for the Lisa and Alessa characters looking a little less like themselves.. Also another reason is that this game took place about 7 to 10 years before the original sh.. a person's face can change alot in the course of 7 or more years.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

I didn't like Alessa because she was a bit too movie influenced. I felt she should have looked more like Cheryl, being she looked like Heather in Silent Hill 3.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

yeah, I definately saw some movie refs there. At the end, when alessa grows her power and she shifts into the otherworld, you notice how it was done just like the movie with the flakes off the ground rising up and showing below it the fire underneath?!
This town wasn't caused by fire, there shouldn't be any fire WHATSOEVER!
I liked how sh3 done theirs' subtle and it worked well.
Yeah, I'm aliittle off topic, but I wanted to point that out.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

SilentMadness wrote:yeah, I definately saw some movie refs there. At the end, when alessa grows her power and she shifts into the otherworld, you notice how it was done just like the movie with the flakes off the ground rising up and showing below it the fire underneath?!
This town wasn't caused by fire, there shouldn't be any fire WHATSOEVER!
I liked how sh3 done theirs' subtle and it worked well.
Yeah, I'm aliittle off topic, but I wanted to point that out.
Yeah, I thought the same things. Looks like Homecoming is doing the same thing.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I'm mostly wondering what was up with the ponytail. I think that's what threw me off the most.
& she is not normal, however much anyone says she is.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Well older Alessa in sh1 had a ponytail..however younger Alessa Cheryl did not..
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Well older Alessa in sh1 had a ponytail..however younger Alessa Cheryl did not..
No, whe did have a ponytail, you can clearly see it when she runs off at the beginning of the game, but her hair is shorter then the older alessa
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Hmm, I didn't notice that in Silent Hill.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I didn't notice that, either. I always saw Cheryl's hair as a short bob and Alessa's as more of the ponytail.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

I really don't care how she looked. I figured she would look different because this game takes place seven years prior to the first.
Last edited by BarbwireEmbrace on 24 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
abrasive
Just Passing Through

Post by abrasive »

Alessa should look exactly the same as Cheryl, except perhaps with a different hairstyle, shouldn't she? Most notably, if I recall, her hair isn't black in Origins...Harry in SH1 and Douglas in SH3 make it very clear that Cheryl/Alessa/Heather's natural hair color is black.

Granted, it's clear they didn't even try to make characters look the same as they do in SH1 (like Lisa, for example), but you could say the difference in appearence is due to age/being a product of Alessa's memories/etc. I like how Kaufmann is fatter in SH1 than Origins, for example - a pretty natural thing to happen for an older guy over the course of 7 years.

I must say the movie references made me very uncomfortable as well. The way Alessa looks when she's burnt up, and the sign on the town's outskirts, are both clearly taken directly from the film. Blah.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Atleast they didn't take outright plotpoints from the film like coal fires or "OMG WITCH!" I can deal with visual stuff.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Atleast they didn't take outright plotpoints from the film like coal fires or "OMG WITCH!" I can deal with visual stuff.
That coal fire burning thing was present, at least when alessa changed the town into otherworld after you put the pieces together. Did you notice when the ground peeled off 9just like the movie), there was fire burning underground?
words to live by
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Yes but that doesnt really mean they're copying the film.. it just means that in the other world it's like a sort of hell.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There was no coal fire in the game canon. And no, there wasn't any fire burning underground. Atleast, none that I noticed. There was a firey glow, but that's different.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I never noticed fire burning beneath the town as it shifted during the game, but I did see a glow and a giant fan-like object. The fires burning under the town in the movie weren't the coal fires anyway, they were just another part of the dark world.
As for Alessa, I really liked how she looked in Origins. I don't see at all how her image is borrowed from Jodelle's incarnation of Alessa. The tie, I thought, was actually a neat touch to her uniform. :D
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I kinda did see a fire underground, but I figured it was more like, magma. Random since those follow a volcano.
TurkeySan
Just Passing Through

Post by TurkeySan »

I thought she looked well awesome!
AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AnneMarie »

I didn't like how she looked in Origins. I think it could be in the eyes - they weren't the right shape for her, I thought, and eyes matter to me. It has been bothering me that
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Cheryl and Heather have different eye colours when they are both reincarnations of Alessa
I know she's supposed to be powerful and conniving but it showed too much in her face and I didn't want it to. I would prefer if she looked eerily innocent.
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.