Are Silent Hill monsters people? (and a complaint)

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Nightmare Man
My Bestsellers Clerk

Are Silent Hill monsters people? (and a complaint)

Post by Nightmare Man »

Have you ever noticed that ever since Silent Hill 3 (where Vincent mentioned that Heather enjoyed 'killing people and stepping on them' and she says "what? do you mean the monsters?" and Vincent replies "Do They look like monsters to you?") where you get the Possessed ending for killing to many monsters which later followed into Silent Hill origins where if you kill more than 100 monsters you get the bad ending...so are the SH Monsters really people? If they are then it's becoming a bad gameplay trait which forces you to avoid most of the monsters and kill the ones that are in your way as long you don't go overkill in order to retrieve something good at the end which before SH3's concept of "the monsters are people" you could kill almost any monster on sight in SH1 and SH2 without any worries of getting a bad ending unlike SH3 and since then.

Note: I did post this thread originally on Silent Hill general forums until I realize I posted a minor SH0 spolier which I decided to delete the thread and moving it over here
Never More than a Bloodstained Raven
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

No, the monsters are not people. Except for the Missionary, the Scrapers and Leonard.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Holy run on sentence, Batman!

I also don't see how that's a negative gameplay mechanic because I personally kill every damn thing I see and that's in my way, whether it looks "human" or not.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

To be fair, this ending device only exists in SH3 and 0rigins, and even then only on your second playthrough onwards. And Mockingbird is right. SH3 is the only game that had real people as monsters.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Plus, Vincent did say he was joking. Maybe I'm naive but anybody that is willing to shut down the order should be telling the truth.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

Maybe I'm naive but anybody that is willing to shut down the order should be telling the truth.
SH3 spoilers
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Vincent was stealing money from the order.
Hes not the most trustworthy person.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Hmm, it never occured to me that the monsters were actually people.
I didn't really listen to that guy, so I don't think they are.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

You know the possibility is there... considering these people are in a delusional state.

Will I say that they are meh... no In the end I don't think they are. But I won't say that's a define t. I think that somethings point to it especially in Origins... such as the "HELP ME" message written on the cap. But this is again debatable (aren't all things seemingly debatable in this game...)

Bottom line the monsters are monsters.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Empty_Eyes wrote:You know the possibility is there... considering these people are in a delusional state.

Will I say that they are meh... no In the end I don't think they are. But I won't say that's a define t. I think that somethings point to it especially in Origins... such as the "HELP ME" message written on the cap. But this is again debatable (aren't all things seemingly debatable in this game...)

Bottom line the monsters are monsters.
what "HELP ME" message? Where is that, I didn't see it.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

there's a baseball cap on the ground near the front entrence of the butcher shop second time, right along the trail of blood that you follow. It's hard to see, but when you pick it up, on the top part of the rim, it says HELP ME or something like that.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

SilentMadness wrote:there's a baseball cap on the ground near the front entrence of the butcher shop second time, right along the trail of blood that you follow. It's hard to see, but when you pick it up, on the top part of the rim, it says HELP ME or something like that.
...I thought that was a nurse's cap...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It is indeed a nurse's cap.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I felt sick to my stomach when..Vincent, there we go. I almost forgot his name. My sis and I call him, Wesley from Angel. If you have seen the show, you know what I am talking about.
Anyway, I felt sick to my stomach when Vincent said that. And again while reading Translated Memories and seeing the beginning sketchs of the zombie kids in the school for SH1. They do look like people.

For awhile, I believed the monsters were people, and fet sorry for killing them, but evetnually, I think on my 3 playthrough on extra hard mode for SH3, I got over and killed them...killed them all!
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Yeah, I never got the impressions that the monsters were in fact people except a few rare instances. Regardless of what that creep Vincent said.

Heather was definitely the most believable antagonist you play as in the series, after running into him, doesn't she say something about that everyone in this town is crazy? lol
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

The town is closed. There's no people left in the town except for the obvious few you encounter. And the only other humans you see are mounted on the walls and stuffed inside cages as twisted trophies to the Otherworld.

There is no telling what the monsters really are, whether they exist at all or not making them simple figments of the imagination, or some dark real creature.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The town is not abandoned.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The town is closed. There's no people left in the town except for the obvious few you encounter. And the only other humans you see are mounted on the walls and stuffed inside cages as twisted trophies to the Otherworld.
Except that Silent Hill is an active, bustling tourist town the entire series through, right?

And most of the humans you see in the Otherworld aren't real, they're manifestations.
There is no telling what the monsters really are, whether they exist at all or not making them simple figments of the imagination, or some dark real creature.
Aside from the few exceptions in SH3, all the monsters in the series are psychic manifestations.
Grotesko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Grotesko »

Even though Vincent was joking, I still am questionable about it...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Mariosrpg/Stuff%20I%20made/sig.png[/img]
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Except that Silent Hill is an active, bustling tourist town the entire series through, right?

And most of the humans you see in the Otherworld aren't real, they're manifestations.
Aside from the few exceptions in SH3, all the monsters in the series are psychic manifestations.
But how do you KNOW that?
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Well I think it's safe to assume. I mean, we don't hear of any mass murders after the events in the games. I can't think of anything that would suggest otherwise except for what Vincent said.