Dahlia = the true evil of the story!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Scanman22
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Scanman22 »

TessannaDelone wrote:I think Dahlia might have known something bad was going to happen but maybe not how bad. Maybe it was only when Christabella refered to her baby as a sin and not a person (Dahlia might have believed the girl would go through flogging or that kind of thing) that she finally realized what was going to happen and by then it was too late.
Dahlia knew Alessa was going to be burned to death. Remember, dark Alessa explains the cult had a "place" for cleansing. Hell, the cult's secret room in the hotel was explicitly hidden by the painting of "the first burning". By taking Alessa to the Hotel (wearing all black with a vale) Dahlia knew that Alessa was going to be burned. That is why Cristabella gives Dahlia the option of not having to witness the murder. Dahlia then realizes she shouldn't have handed over her OWN child to the fanatics and runs off to get the police! A little too late though. . . .
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

Cleansing could mean a lot of things. Despite the cult being Witch Hunters and thus promptly burning the so called 'witches' once their weeded out of their community, I doubt Dahila would've handed her child over to Christabella if it meant allowing her to burn Alessa on their holy altar of justice. (Though the wary look on her face says otherwise.)

And if she suspected such a thing would happen, then Dahlia probably convinced herself that Christabella would never commit such a henous act against her or on her child (of course, this is under the assumption that Christabella and Dahila had a sibbling like relationship, [maybe akin to that of Alessa/Claudia implied in the game] given that Christabella used the term 'sister' once when she confronted Dahila in the apartment where She and Sharon was hiding. I might've been hearing things).

I.E., she deined the truth until she was at the door of judgement and then ran to get help accepting her error. This version of Dahila is not the villain, but an equal viticim herself, because she did not help Alessa when she had the chance and would not allow herself to believe Christabella would 'wrong' her like she did.
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

Peer pressure is a bitch, ain't it? :)
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

I think that all of the cult members got off way easy. After what they did to an innocent young child! They should have died much more painfully.
Life changes daily so go with it!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Being split in half via your vagina isn't painful enough?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I don't know if I believe Dahlia knew Alessa would be burned. I know she was told Alessa would be cleansed, but maybe she thought it meant Alessa would have to do vigorous prayer or something. If I remember correctly, Christabella almost made it sound like Alessa would be fine afterwards, and would be pure and good.
Dahlia as the victim in this movie was an interesting twist from the Dahlia we all know and love/loathe.
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

I don't think so. Dahlia was dressed as if she was going to a funeral. And I'm sure Alessa wasn't the first "sin" to be burned in that secret room. And the secret room is hidden behind the picture of "The First Burning". If Dahlia didn't know, then she is the dumbest woman ever and she would deserve to be burned for being so radically retarded.

I think she was pressured so hard and the situation was so intense that she almost "went to another place" within her mind and didn't return to reality until Christabella woke up her consciousness by explaining that they "fight the sin, not the sinner". With those words, Dahlia returned to reality and realized how incredibly horrible things are (how out of hand this religion under Christabella has become) and she rushes off to retrieve the police.
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I just figured the whole funeral attire was some sort of ritual outfit or something. But you may well be right, and I just didn't interpret it that way. I thought that painting was put up AFTER Alessa was burned though.
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

No, I believe you can clearly see the painting in the flashback scene. Plus, Alessa was not the first burning. Anna makes that clear.
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
flickman456
Just Passing Through

Post by flickman456 »

No because Dahlia is not known as evil to the people in the town. Therfore only alessa was known and then tortured and i also noticed something else doesnt christabella look an offel lot like cludia in silent hill 3?
In my restless dreams i see that town.......SILENT HILL
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I fail to see any similarities between their appearances. One is blond, the other is a brunette with graying hair, the other has no eyebrows or shoes, the other has eyebrows and shoes, one is wearing a dark blue, almost black, "robe" thing, the other a bright blue School Matron uniform.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Um, Flickman, can you shrink that avatar down a few pixels? It is stretching my screen something fierce.
I don't know, alessa angel, spikes in the woohoo is pretty painful.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Here's my take on the Dahlia thing:
Dahlis was an indoctrinated moron. For nine years, she watched people hurt her child every single day- but she did nothing. She could easily have left the town, but she was too weak. She could have stood up to them, but she was, once again, too weak. The woman was so desperate for her child's (and her own) pain to end, that she actually believed the very woman who was causing so many problems for Alessa when the insane bitch implied that they wouldn't hurt the little girl. She took every damned thing she'd been taught her entire life and threw it all out the window over some insane hope that her child would be ok. Nevermind that this is the same aunt who listened to her screaming niece being raped in the bathroom and did nothing to stop it. *THAT* couldn't possibly mean she's evil! Dahlia was stupid beyond words. She let her little girl suffer for nine fucking years, and did nothing- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING- to stop it. Didn't know what they were going to do my ass. She knew all along- in her subconcious- but she was so desperate to be accepted by her sister and her community that she let her own child suffer. Dahlia deserves her time in the Otherworld, no questions asked.
Yes, Alessa did have powers and, yes, those powers did make things worse- but Dahlia could so easily have gotten up and left the town. But once again, we're talking about a selfish moron. Alessa suffered because she was weak and gullible.
As for why they didn't burn Dahlia, that's easy. Dahlia is Christabella's sister. Why would she burn her own sister? But the insane witch had no qualms about her niece- the sin incarnate.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...once again, I have to admit that JRamirez is the best Movie analysist on the board. Madam, you are the Mockingbird of the Movie canon.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Only really with Silent Hill and Underworld (the original one, the second one sucked IMO). Those are the only two movies worth the time spent analyzing and thinking about them.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, Movie canon of Silent Hill, I should say. I didn't mean LIEK ALL MOVIES LOLZ.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I didn't mean LIEK ALL MOVIES LOLZ.
That might actually make me even less likely to find a boyfriend than now lol
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Sorry to interject.... Underworld = horrible Vampire the Masquerade/ World of Darkness butchering... I see that title and it makes me angry...

But as far as your SH movie analysis and such it's Tops, nicely done.
michinobu_zoned
Just Passing Through

WTF?

Post by michinobu_zoned »

Empty_Eyes wrote:Sorry to interject.... Underworld = horrible Vampire the Masquerade/ World of Darkness butchering... I see that title and it makes me angry...

But as far as your SH movie analysis and such it's Tops, nicely done.
What??? They came out with a new "Vampire Masquerades", or am I misreading what you wrote? I kind of liked the last one, pretty cool RPG I think. Soundtracks kind of decent, if you like Goth Techno.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Um I'm referring to the long standing table top RPG. Not the two mildly entertaining computer games. and technically they did come out with a "new" Vampire: The Masquerade, it's Vampire: the Requiem. Both of which systems are pretty solid, with or without Vampires. But my bread and butter in the realm of non-computer/video gaming is V:tM. Many nights in a basement with some good friends. I do miss that.

V:tM more pretentious then any other Table Top role playing game you can play. But like I said.... Underworld... is what most Dungeons and Dragons players would have interpreted V:tM as.