----------

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

The button prompts themselves don't bother me, but I think they should at least make them black, like the one's in origins for instance. :wink:
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Well, those being xbox360 buttons, it seems obvious why it is bright blue/green. For the ps3, it's all about the X, lol! :)

But we seriously don't need a prompt to tell us how to jump a wall every time (that's what game manuals are for)

And the life bar really shouldn't even be there. As Reciever_of_Wisdom says, this belongs to a FPS (shoot, even FPS nowadays are getting rid of them)
It was done well with just the rumble and red edges like in origins and the other series (now that they got the dual-shock 3 there is no excuse)
I hope all against hope that there is an option for classic silent hill :wink: because there is nothing that looks silent hill to me that I've seen so far.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Nothing that looks silent hill? Uh... the fog the atmosphere, the environment, the storyline sounds silent hillish to me.

stop whining people for christ sake.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Does it annoy anyone else that it sounds like alex is swinging a helicopter blade when he's fighting with the knife?
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

that's probably just a filler sound effect put in there by the developers.. to hold the place til they put in the actual sound effect for him swinging his blade. It could also be the sound quality of the video you're watching, it all depends on what kind of computer you're using. And also it all depends on the sound quality that the person, who released the video was using on their system who knows. But I highly doubt that the developers are going to leave in errors like that.. considering that this game is very highly anticipated.
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Post by Reciever_Of_Wisdom »

On the note of sound design, I'm very happy to hear more than one footstep noise. That's a milestone for basically the whole survival/horror genre. But also, he doesn't sound too distressed when being gored with a dirty, five-inch blade.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Yeah I agree, the footsteps sound a lot better, and the use of DSP reverb in the hospital really makes the location feel more real. Hopefully they'll have different reverbs depending on the surface material of each room.

However, am I getting an overall consensus that the whole graveyard location is a really shit idea, cause I still think it is. I mean I'd find it way more scary encountering a monster in a place you wouldn't expect it, like a garage a pet shop, a day care centre, or somewhere really mundane like a supermarket. Not a totally stereotypical location like a graveyard. It just kills it for me.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

As long as he only goes through to get to another location. If the graveyard is a whole other level, then we got a problem. But remember, in origins, the monsters walk through the streets everywhere, no matter where it was. If there is an opening, likely a monster can access it.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

I would actually get a kick out of an entire graveyard level where nothing happens.

Absolutely nothing. All of this tension will build up in the player, because sense would dictate that graveyards are that cliche where shit is introduced to fans due to preconditioning from hundreds of games and movies before it, and here you are in one, and it's just a walk. Maybe a quick puzzle.

But that's it. In and out.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

Reciever_Of_Wisdom wrote:I would actually get a kick out of an entire graveyard level where nothing happens.

Absolutely nothing. All of this tension will build up in the player, because sense would dictate that graveyards are that cliche where shit is introduced to fans due to preconditioning from hundreds of games and movies before it, and here you are in one, and it's just a walk. Maybe a quick puzzle.

kind of like
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
going across toluca lake in SH2?
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Yeah that would be a massive build up of tension you'd be like "Ok something is gonna jump out from this corner... maybe not. Maybe this corner... hmm" But we're dreaming because theres that video with all those god awful dogs, then theres that out of place over Hollywood polished cutscene where the dog sneaks up on Alex. I really hope your right David01 about it just being a temp sound effect it makes me cringe every time I hear it.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Reciever_Of_Wisdom wrote:I would actually get a kick out of an entire graveyard level where nothing happens.

Yeah actually, subverting your expectations could be a good thing. Cause then you could go to a safe place only to find it's the complete opposite.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

I sort of understand what you mean. The screen shot comparison is how I can see the difference in 2 and HC. 2 looks more morbid, dark, grainy, disturbing. Whereas the screen shots for HC look more...foggy and sort of dark. I think maybe they focused a little bit too much on the graphics and not enough on the "essence" of Silent Hill. Silent Hill should be portrayed as disgustingly beautiful, not just beautiful.
TheVIPeRoy
Just Passing Through

Post by TheVIPeRoy »

Silent Hill 5 is new and different! and i like it or u wanna stick with the same routine as the other SH games? every SH game cant be the same... with the same bloody walls and the same places etc... it gets boring
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

No way Silent hill was never boring even 4 was good but this crap looks the same as every other piece of crap game thats on the market at the moment. Just because it's different doesn't make it interesting or better they've made it different by making it the same as every thing else.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

well don't buy the game. if people are so unhappy with what they see, don't buy it. if you really want to make a statement to double helix regarding how you're so unhappy with what they've done, pass on this game.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I'm going to buy the game, it looks good to me. I just the fans are being too hard on this game. I mean yeah right now it doesnt look all that great.. however this is only because the game has not been polished yet.. and isn't finished yet.. so just relax and give this one a chance before you judge it.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I really don't get why every single time anyone says anything slightly critical about the preview material, you get this little huddle of fan boys all rallying together saying the same thing, "...your being too harsh, it aint finished yet, its silent hill it must be good, wait till it comes out..." Blah blah blah.

We are all well aware that its not finished yet and that the final game may look better. But the point of this thread is about how preview material doesn't really look that much like the rest of the series. So either talk about that or don't. Just cool it with the same old fan boy posts please.

BTW: Sorry if I came across a little rude, wasn't intended to be.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Breaka wrote:I really don't get why every single time anyone says anything slightly critical about the preview material, you get this little huddle of fan boys all rallying together saying the same thing, "...your being too harsh, it aint finished yet, its silent hill it must be good, wait till it comes out..." Blah blah blah.

We are all well aware that its not finished yet and that the final game may look better. But the point of this thread is about how preview material doesn't really look that much like the rest of the series. So either talk about that or don't. Just cool it with the same old fan boy posts please.

BTW: Sorry if I came across a little rude, wasn't intended to be.
because a complaint once or twice is tolerable, but you have a number of people here who just bitch and moan in a number of threads about the same stuff, repeatedly. it's annoying. negativity is contagious, which is why you get the "huddle of fanboys" who complain about the complainers.

Plus the whole what you don't like about SH:H thread was made for topics like these. this thread shouldn't even exist.
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

This topic is to discus the off look of present screens for Homecoming in a subjective fashion, simple as that. That doesn't have to equal hate. Fans take changes harder because they've made the object of their affection their own.

As a few have said before, slap some noise filter effects, do something with that HUD, and I'll be there at launch with a flashlight, radio, and 50 bucks.