What was up with the first scene?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Knower_Of_Truth
Just Passing Through

What was up with the first scene?

Post by Knower_Of_Truth »

What happened?
I don't understand the monsters just coming outta the hills.
I have no clue. So hopefully you guys can shed some light on this.
Who are you to wave your finger, you must have been out of your mind. You mustv'e been high.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

....um, what the hell are you talking about?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Knower_Of_Truth
Just Passing Through

You know when all the monsters corner cybil and Cheryl's mother(can't remember her name)
Who are you to wave your finger, you must have been out of your mind. You mustv'e been high.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Cheryl's mother...? You mean Sharon's mother Rose? Please try not to confuse SH the movie with SH1. While SH the movie was loosely based on SH1, there are SEVERAL very important differences, that in the end would lead to people being very confused if they weren't identified....
The first scene has no monsters, and unless I'm mistaken, has no Cybill as it takes place in the DaSilvas' home.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I think he's talking about when we first see the um... those straightjacket things that spit acid.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at though.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Is it this scene?

Or this scene?

Either way, neither scene is the beginning of the movie.
Knower_Of_Truth
Just Passing Through

Whoops but is with the straightjacket things. That first one. Got confused
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

What happened?
I don't understand the monsters just coming outta the hills.
I have no clue. So hopefully you guys can shed some light on this.
If you're asking why there are more strightjackets up on the hill it's to indicate that there are more then one strightjacket (howerever poor attempt it was) and if you are asking how cybil got from looking at the creatures to in the boiler room, we should assumed that she got out of there unscathed. Hope that helps you.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I would suggest you watch the movie from the beginning. It might help answer alot of questions.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Wow... sorry Just wow? slightly alarmed. I mean what? The straightjacket things... were did they come from? Well in the movie Alessa generates the monsters in the foggy Silent Hill, most of them come from some deeper subconscious frustration. I would say that the straightjacket monsters indicated a feeling of being trapped in your own body (seeing as she's badly burnt) also the fact that they are sort of just scattered about in the foggy version would mean they are confused and lost (sort of like a young Alessa, before she really begins to realize all the bullshit.) Please watch the movie again. like Ramirez suggested.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I don't want to start a new thread about the REAL first couple scenes, so I will just use this one.

I just noticed, as I am watching the movie right now, that the clift Sharon is standing over, is faced by a crucifix. It is light up as well as made of light.

Is there some sort of symbology here, in that Sharon was drawn to a symbol of faith overlooking a clift? Or am I just looking too hard for symbolism that is not there?
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

Yeah I noticed that also on the first time I saw the film. I think the film has religious overtones, Christianity in particular. The cross of Christ filled with light I think is kind of saying that the goodness is trying to pull her away from the devil (dark alessa) that is in her. Also, notice how that Dark Alessa is at the bottom of the waterfall abyss and is tempting Sharon to drop?
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
rayrayleeroy
Just Passing Through

Post by rayrayleeroy »

^ wow good eyes
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Well, good to know I am not the only one.

I took it to be similar in that the dark pull of Alessa in "Hell" outward to Sharon who is essentually living in paradise.

The lit cross being used, simply because it is the most recognizable religous symbol to the audience.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The director said in an interview that every person has the ability to become their own god and their own devil- and that Alessa did both. Sharon is meant to be the "god" of Alessa; since she is all the innocence and purity of Alessa's soul- and Dark Alessa is meant to be the "devil" of Alessa since she is the darkness of the soul. So the cross symbolizes what Sharon metaphorically is.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

But the crucifix is the symbol of jesus dying for the sin of mankind, not god. I am unaware of any faith that recognizes the crucifix as the symbol for god. If I am wrong, please point out the name of the faith.

The curcifix does bring to mind religion in that scene, which simply put, could be seen as the devil(Alessa) vs. god(Sharon) by the audience.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The director is not Christian and has been known to bash Christianity in his past films. I doubt he would have understood the difference; though it could also strongly speak towards your interpretation or that the world Rose lives in is considered to be "heaven" in the movie.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Harrys_Girl wrote:But the crucifix is the symbol of jesus dying for the sin of mankind, not god. I am unaware of any faith that recognizes the crucifix as the symbol for god. If I am wrong, please point out the name of the faith.

The curcifix does bring to mind religion in that scene, which simply put, could be seen as the devil(Alessa) vs. god(Sharon) by the audience.
First, its not a crucifix. There is no corpus on the cross therefore its just a simple lighted cross. And uh, Christianity recognizes Christ as God, thus the cross symbolizes the sacrifice.

Anyway, not to start this into a religious topic.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I was under the impression that cross(cricfix)=jesus=god, was incorrect. I have always read that jesus is his own seperate entity from god, and that the he was the Holy Spirit taking the sin from humanity, back to heaven, in Christianity.

And secondly, I think it would be foolish to assume that the director did not know the difference. I am not christian, nor chatholic, or any other religion, but I have the knowledge that certain symbols mean certain things. If he didn't care what symbol was there, why not use A Hebrew Star of Solomon, or they Seihk Star and Moon?
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

A seperate entity? No, God, The Holy Spirit, and the Son (Jesus) are all the same entity. Just different sides of them.

And I think if the director is really ignorant as that, then he just picked whatever he could find.