----------

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Man I'm a massive fan boy of this series. I'm the guy that gets drunk and bores the shit out of his friends rambling about the art direction of silent hill 3 or the flawless storyline of SH2. I love this series it is the only game that shone through a pretty uniform blanket that seems to cover a lot of games called survival horror. Of course I'm gonna buy this game no matter how bad they balls it up but it sucks that they can get way with screwing it up and get a pat on the back from people that will settle for anything as long as its in the SH series.
HammeringInMyHead

Post by HammeringInMyHead »

^ Exactly what i think... o/
Bishop Sasarai
Historical Society Historian

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

What exactly is so "wrong" about what the game looks like? I just saw a few screenshots from the latest issue of Playstation: The Official Magazine, and they look fantastic. The fog looks nice, and the interiors have the bloody, rusty look, as usual.

I have a good feeling about the game. It looks good, and has a whole slew of new gameplay content, so it should be pretty exciting. I just hope it isn't like, five hours long, though with the branching conversations I'm hoping there will be multiple paths you can take.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Yeah they have thrown a whole slew of new ideas into homecoming but they are boring ideas. To be honest I don't give a crap about the combat system if I wanna play a game that the main focus of the game is beating the living shit out of things I'll play condemned. Also I wanna know what genius asked for QTE, lifebars and glowing items. I just don't see how people think what we've seen feels like silent hill its about more than the fog blood and rust. I seems to have lost he sense of clostrophobia and replaced it with fast paced action and if there's that many characters that they can make oblivion style branching conversations that just go in circles anyway I will actually refuse to buy it.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Well, yeah, that's a valid concern. If Silent Hill 5 resembles Resident Evil 4 I'd be pretty disappointed. However, I think that the cool-looking combat and finishing moves that it promises fit in with Alex's character; unlike the others, he knows how to fight well.

One new addition that ups the scare factor is how monsters will follow you through doors - you can't just avoid them by going into another room. The day-night cycles sound interesting as well. I'm not too crazy about the melee-grappling in combat or the select armored points on certain enemies, but as long as it's not overdone it should be alright.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Have they actually shown any otherworld stuff yet other then that bathroom scene? This is what I mean, I don't remember seeing anything so far that makes you think straight away 'look its Silent Hill', like how SH3 did. Like the graveyard is all real world, and the monsters are all there. So does the graveyard have an otherworld version or what?

I'd like to see more SH3 style otherworld crazyness. I think so far it look much too tame still.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I remember in the first couple of trailers, I think the ones that still has that silent hill 5 with the romal numreal, the very first shot they have is an otherworld building and alex (the older and much better version of alex) going up the steps, following a child. If they are still useing it, i don't know.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Nickq2007

Post by Nickq2007 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34084.html?type=flv

That's from the newer batch of videos, but that is the same area where alex follows joshua up the stairs, and to me that looks like the 'otherworld.'
Last edited by Nickq2007 on 07 Jun 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Cool I aint seen that. But I dunno, really doesn't look all that 'otherworld to me'. It's just looks like some standard factory with the light off. Where's like the throbbing flesh on the walls and stuff? And look how lazily the just mapped on the surface of the metal floors. They're totally flat.
Last edited by Breaka on 07 Jun 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

Nickq2007 wrote:http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34084.html?type=flv

That's from the newer batch of videos, but that is the same area where alex follows joshua up the stairs, and to me that looks like the 'otherworld' to me.
Looks like it to me too. But hell, did you see how much damage the last nurse did to Alex? Looks like the enemies in this game can turn your a**hole inside out if you're not careful! When you empower the player, you have to empower the enemies too, to keep the suspense the same.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

I don't give a crap about the fact that he was in the army. If I had just come home from a war and found myself in the other world I wouldn't be thinking about my military training I'd be more focused on getting the he'll outa there. This game is looking way too actiony making it less hopeless feeling and less realistic.
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Post by Reciever_Of_Wisdom »

That trailer was good, but it still plays out a little much like Generic Survival Horror Sequel. I think it's lacking the dread, missing the balance between slow, deliberate horror and face-paced action. I did like the first-person view (which I assume you can go into at any time), but the sound made when you land a hit on a nurse is just weird.

Good go on the cut marks appearing and staying on the enemies, but I would like to see it works both ways, and have Alex get bloodied up for taking a beating (which he clearly did at the beginning of the vid)
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

I'm hoping that they're deliberately doing it to hide all the really good stuff. The cut marks do look very cool.
--
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Breaka wrote:Cool I aint seen that. But I dunno, really doesn't look all that 'otherworld to me'. It's just looks like some standard factory with the light off. Where's like the throbbing flesh on the walls and stuff? And look how lazily the just mapped on the surface of the metal floors. They're totally flat.
How are you gonig to critique texture maps when this is an unfinished product and you should KNOW that bump map, light and filters are some of the LAST stages of production. Personally, I think they release too much and should just keep it all shut up until the release day. Besides, there was no pulsating flesh on the walls and such in SH1 or 2. I'm actually glad the otherworld feels more like the first two games (and the movie, sort of) considering many sequels have a tendency to overdo effects that worked previously. I personally didn't like a lot of things about SH3, and the otherworld images just felt too fake and forced, as well as the ABUNDANCE of noise on the radio and ingame music when enemies were near that sapped all the creepiness out of it for me. No, I rather prefer the more rusted out post apocalyptic look than the "living walls" and fleshy gobbets of gore all over the place.
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Post by Reciever_Of_Wisdom »

paladin181 wrote:I think they release too much and should just keep it all shut up until the release day.
and
paladin181 wrote:...prefer the more rusted out post apocalyptic look than the "living walls" and fleshy gobbets of gore all over the place.
Truth.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Couldn't agree with you more with the nurses making weird noises thing Receiver but I think the only reason that the first person thing worked on SH4 was because it was mainly to disguise the fact that at the beginning you were playing as Joseph and was only used when in your safe area which avoided using it for action purposes. I personally love all of the previous otherworlds we haven't seen much of the Homecoming otherworld but the still frames I've seen aren't bad but it seems whenever I see this game in motion I cringe.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

The thing about there literally being throbbing flesh on the walls was a generalisation. Yeah some games had more or less of that, but all of them had a lot more going on texturally than what we've seen thus far in homecoming. In fact the least textured game was SH4, and everyone rattles on about how it didn't feel very Silent Hill. And yes I know it was originally intended as a spin off, but its the same thing regardless. This is why I think homecoming doesn't look enough like Silent Hill yet.

That whole bump map thing sounds great, cause it might mean they'll put some work into the textures at the end and bring it all up. Same with the noise filter, cause at the moment it just looks like something the took off of iMovie, but fingers crossed they'll scrub that up too.

I am confidant that they will turn corners nearer the end of production with the aid of the original team. Just look at how much 0rigins came on near the end. I just hope this doesn't happen to late case for me the look and feel of Silent Hill is like the star of the show and it'd really like to see that it's well developed.

One a side note though, has anyone seen this game Dead Space? Ignoring the fact that it's set in space, it looks way more like Silent Hill the SH5 does so far. You've got to wonder if Double Helix are the best men for the job.
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

Oh yeah, heh I see what you mean. It does kinda look like Resident Evil a bit, but...that's probably just cuz the graphics are better, or that the game wasn't done by Team Silent or something. I dunno, but I just hope it's GOOD!
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Breaka wrote:
One a side note though, has anyone seen this game Dead Space? Ignoring the fact that it's set in space, it looks way more like Silent Hill the SH5 does so far. You've got to wonder if Double Helix are the best men for the job.
are you kidding me about dead space looking more Silent Hill than SH:H? first off, the main character from dead space is wearing some type of iron man prototype suit, and second, there's aliens everywhere. it takes place in outer space on some type of ship as well. if anything DS reminds me of DOOM 3.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

I'm pretty sure the Dead space online comic was done by the same guy that did the art for those terrible Silent hill comics. But completely unrelated to the rant that I'm about to get started on One thing that annoyed me when I first saw screen shots for homecoming was the Lying monster and the fact he has huge blades attached to his hands... Proper steel blades :| I though it was a bit out of place but let it slide. Then I saw a recent picture of a Crab like monster with an upside down human head WITH MASSIVE STEEL BLADES ATTACHED TO ITS BODY!!... What the hell?... Where did this come from? Its the most unsilent hill looking thing ever. The old closers had that bone like thing that shot out of their arm and the nurses sometimes had normal scalpels in previous games but no monster has had these unnecessarily large exaggerated scythes grafted to their bodies. About the closest so far was the scrapers off of SH3 but they didn't look anywhere near this extreme.