Cosplay

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Cosplay

Post by jdnation »

The fifth game isn't even out yet and already some people are cosplaying the monsters. In any case, this is pretty awesome!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... t=featured
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

Is it wrong that im slightly aroused by this? Anyway...

I should try walking on my hands and cosplaying a Schizm.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I've seen pictures of that before but this video is well good, thanks for the post.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
headkickrodeo
Just Passing Through

Post by headkickrodeo »

Heh, where did you get your avatar?

Cosplayers crack me up. They're like a treasure trove of unintentionally hilarious pics. They'd creep me out when I was little. I got my parents to take me to some anime convention in Dallas when I was 10 (haha, I bet they were more weirded out than I was)...I was into anime, but I had no idea just HOW FAR people took it.

Numb Body01 wrote:I've seen pictures of that before but this video is well good, thanks for the post.
Jamar
Just Passing Through

Post by Jamar »

:shock: MAN! Thats alot of effort to go to just to dress up at a convention. I mean I know some folks get a kick out of dressing up, but to haul someone around on your back like that...
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s264/jamar7576/Signatures/heaven1.jpg[/img]
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

MAN! Thats alot of effort to go to just to dress up at a convention. I mean I know some folks get a kick out of dressing up, but to haul someone around on your back like that...
Whatever gets you laid I guess...
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Bah, site maintenance so I can't see it yet. :(

Ah well, I'll check back later. I've always wanted to go as a SH monster for Halloween (like PH head, though I don't have the body structure for it), but making costumes has never been my thing. Plus, I'd have this obsession with looking perfect, so I'd probably never finish it anyway. :\
I'm offended by political correctness.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I should probably refrain from this discussion... But I'll ask anyhow...

What is the point and enjoyment that people get out of dressing up? I'll try to keep it civil, but it just really baffles me that people would waste the time and effort to do something so pointless.

Now, that's not to say there's no other completely pointless and stupid things out there, so don't redirect the question to one of those. I have problems with a lot of wasted pointless activity. This just happens to be the one I'm asking about ATM.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

>I'll try to keep it civil, but it just really baffles me that people would waste the time and effort to do something so pointless.

Let me try to explain this to someone who seems to have set their mind into an unyielding stone. :P

Imagine yourself as a kid on Halloween. You're excited as you can be because you get to be Batman for one day a year. Your Batman pajamas don't quite satisfy your urge to BE Batman, and Halloween lets you not only dress up as the guy but you get candy as a reward for pretending to be someone else.

Cosplaying isn't as childish as that sometimes. Really GOOD cosplay is almost, one could argue, something like art. People are either ridiculously skilled at sewing or tailoring and thus put effort into making something that they want to wear. The character they want to dress up as could be important to them, they could like the design and style of the creature / monster, or they could just want to do it because, again, where else could they dress up like that and not be ridiculed?

The short answer is: because people like different things.

We have a cosplay thread on here, in the Happy Burger section, if you'd like to take a look?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Plus, if you notice, a lot of people are usually gathered together when Cosplay happens. In some ways, it's a way of getting together with other people who share the same interests, to show you all like the same thing, in other ways, it's a form of competition (my costumes better than yours, kinda thing). Different strokes for different folks.

Playing video games in general is pointless, yet people do it every day. Why? Because it's fun.
I'm offended by political correctness.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

paladin181 wrote:What is the point and enjoyment that people get out forum discussions? I'll try to keep it civil, but it just really baffles me that people would waste the time and effort to do something so pointless.
How about answering that first, then getting back to us.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

I was gonna make a joke about cosplaying, but I'm not going too in fear of highlighted post edits :wink: . Like Ashmodean said, whatever gets you laid. It is a decent costume. Still a 'Daddy would be awsome.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

I've allways wanted to get into cosplay. When I was younger (around 12-13) I used to love doing costume makeup and hair-dos that I saw in movies, comics, books, whatever. I used to want to be an actor so bad because it's so much fun to dress up and pretend to be someone else and make others believe that thats who you are. Not to mention how intensely emotional it is for me to watch a brilliant actor perform (I'm really really looking forward to seeing Heath Ledger prtray the Joker). I can totally understand why people do it.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

that costume is seriously awesome. i love well-done cosplay!

i've actually thought about doing something, since i think i could pull off heather pretty well... too lazy to make adjustments to clothes, though. :P and i'd need someone(s) to do it with who would somehow match.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Mockingbird wrote:
paladin181 wrote:What is the point and enjoyment that people get out forum discussions? I'll try to keep it civil, but it just really baffles me that people would waste the time and effort to do something so pointless.
How about answering that first, then getting back to us.
See, there you go. I did specifically ask for people not to deflect because I had a true inquiry. It doesn't make much sense to me, and personally, I'd like to thank Krist for taking the time to explain it in a fashion that makes it easier to understand.

To me, Cosplay has always been the retarded cousin of LARPing. If you don't know what LARP is, it stands for "Live-Action Role Playing". It has always been a bane to people who enjoy good Roleplay sessions because for one, it gives role players a bad name, as it is a public display of idiocy, and people don't like having it around their town (many many LARPers play WoD games where they play at night and pretend to be vampires). Second, it limits the bound of imagination. Why should I need to act out what my character in a game is doing? It detracts from the game at hand, which isn't action or combat based, but is rather for thinking and interacting.

Cosplay, I know is much more than than "LARPers in costume", but the only other connotations I've really had from it are "Furries" (if my saying these people are really messed up offends you, I do appologize), and Anime/Star Trek/"Cult Classic Here" fanboys who have rarely seen the light of day, except when their mother is giving them a ride to xCON 15.

I admit I like things that are odd, but I can't say my fondness of anything goes to the level of Fanboyishness that some people exhibit in spending time, money, and effort to dress up like something that is from a game/movie/series/comic book. Perhaps it is that level of fanaticism (I mean that as a devotion to something you like, rather than the wild, almost chaotic zeal that is usually used for this) that I truly don't understand.

I respect that people do enjoy this, which is why I've kept it civil (well that, and I don't want to be banned) because I'd like to understand what it is about something that makes you want to be someone else to the point that you start dressing like it. I'm in no way picking at or chastising people who like to cosplay, because I know I have some things that may cause people to chastise me. I play Tabletop RPGs like D&D and WoD. I also am an avid fan of professional wrestling. But while I have a collection of swords, maces and axes, I don't dress up and pretend to be a knight, nor do I throw on spandex and a tanktop and pretend I am the Undertaker or anything like that. So what is it that really makes you want to dress up, to be some one else so badly that you decide to make a costume?
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

You've gone too far off topic so take it here: http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9480
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I did specifically ask for people not to deflect because I had a true inquiry.
Perhaps, but it's a valid question. If you find cosplaying a "waste [of] time and effort to do something so pointless," then why are you online here, trying to debate that cosplaying is a waste of time?

I'm willing to bet you come online to this forum because you enjoy it. You dig interacting w/ people you normally wouldn't have the opportunity to discuss the things you're interested in w/. Cosplayers, then, are fundamentally the same thing: The conventions in which they partake in are a parallel to these forums--in that they interact w/ people w/ similar interests that in any other setting they wouldn't have the chance to.

From my limited experience w/ cosplayers, they don't do it because they "want to be someone else," but rather because of a camaraderie they can experience w/ similar individuals. It's harmless and it's for fun. You've admitted to doing the same thing by playing D&D/WoD: You become someone else for (hopefully) a temporary amount of time while engaging w/ friends, &c. that have also temporarily become someone else w/in the realm of your fantasy world. It's no different, save that cosplayers go outside.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

I respect that people do enjoy this, which is why I've kept it civil (well that, and I don't want to be banned) because I'd like to understand what it is about something that makes you want to be someone else to the point that you start dressing like it. I'm in no way picking at or chastising people who like to cosplay, because I know I have some things that may cause people to chastise me. I play Tabletop RPGs like D&D and WoD. I also am an avid fan of professional wrestling. But while I have a collection of swords, maces and axes, I don't dress up and pretend to be a knight, nor do I throw on spandex and a tanktop and pretend I am the Undertaker or anything like that. So what is it that really makes you want to dress up, to be some one else so badly that you decide to make a costume?
Because it's fun.

Why do you feel compelled to own a collection of swords if your not goign to use them? Because you like to look at them? Same thing.

EDIT:I added this before I realised theres a page two. Sorry for going off topic again.
Last edited by Ashmodean on 14 Jun 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Ok people give it a rest already. =_=
Cool costume.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

Very cool indeed. Would be better if it was two women strapped together like that though...with electrical tape. You know. I'm just saying.