Gross?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

TheRedOne

Gross?

Post by TheRedOne »

A friend of mine returned the game Silent Hill 3 to me which I was letting him burrow and described it as to scary and gross. When I asked him how he shunned me and changed the topic. I only found a few scenes in this game truly sick, would any of you describe this game as a sick or gross game??
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Of course it is.

The monsters you fight are probably the most disgusting I've seen yet - numb bodies look like floppy penis babies who scream like lambs, the dogs are disgusting (their faces are split open ffs), the walls bleed, the PENDULUMS FOR GOD'S SAKE, Claudia's face, the Memory of Alessa boss fight (not to mention the fact that there's a burning corpse trapped inside the middle column of the carousel) - loads of random dead bodies crammed into cages set up around the Otherside. And who can forget when Heather vomits up a fetus, which Claudia later ingests?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

nothing was really "gross" to me... but i dunno, i have a high tolerance for what's normally considered gross. however, it is sufficiently dirty, dingy, gory, bloody, and deformed, if that's what you mean.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

It depends of the person really.

I found a few things to be gross... and a lot of it to be shocking. But on a scale from 1 to 10 of grossness...

1 being Disney.
10 being Saw.

... I would give SH3 a 6. It's got some pretty nasty things, but it's got a purely entertaining value to it.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well, the rampant violent imagery, as well as the extensive backstory of horrific child abuse behind Alessa certainly don't strike me as tame.

If I recall correctly, SH1 was the first game to ever have a "disturbing content" disclaimer in the game itself.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Krist. wrote:Of course it is.

The monsters you fight are probably the most disgusting I've seen yet - numb bodies look like floppy penis babies who scream like lambs, the dogs are disgusting (their faces are split open ffs), the walls bleed, the PENDULUMS FOR GOD'S SAKE, Claudia's face, the Memory of Alessa boss fight (not to mention the fact that there's a burning corpse trapped inside the middle column of the carousel) - loads of random dead bodies crammed into cages set up around the Otherside. And who can forget when Heather vomits up a fetus, which Claudia later ingests?
yes I see where you're getting at, but I never found a lot of the obvious things gross, my second play was where I found the disturbing details that truly made the game one of the scariest I've played, mainly Valtiels constant violation/punishment of nurses, the hidden corpses, and small things like that, the obvious example is the vomiting of the fetus though, it was rather funny though, when Heather says "Claudia, what are you doing?!" I said the exact same thing first playthrough,
headkickrodeo
Just Passing Through

Post by headkickrodeo »

If you don't consider fetus vomiting/eating gross...then I'm sorry, but you're banished from society. It's one of the few things that ties everyone together. Everyone knows that having a fetus enter or exit your mouth is a BAD thing....nothing good can come of it.

Y'know, it actually would've been grosser if Claudia hadn't stopped Heather from stomping on it.

:o
crucifix wrote:nothing was really "gross" to me... but i dunno, i have a high tolerance for what's normally considered gross. however, it is sufficiently dirty, dingy, gory, bloody, and deformed, if that's what you mean.
kamui3
Just Passing Through

Post by kamui3 »

I didn't think it was gross at all, but I'm not easily disgusted or offended in general. I like seeing nasty crap like that in games. However, I can see how your friend would be grossed out. It did look really nasty when Heather puked up the fetus.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

headkickrodeo wrote:If you don't consider fetus vomiting/eating gross...then I'm sorry, but you're banished from society.
i usually forget that scene, actually. perhaps because
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
it was the fetus of the god.
so i didn't feel much of anything... ? except, "shit, i have to kill this (pixel) thing in a few minutes."
kamui3
Just Passing Through

Post by kamui3 »

Thats about the same thing I felt.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

kamui3 wrote:I didn't think it was gross at all, but I'm not easily disgusted or offended in general. I like seeing nasty crap like that in games. However, I can see how your friend would be grossed out. It did look really nasty when Heather puked up the fetus.
I don't think he even saw that, it was probably the introduction sequence of the closer,, Silent Hill 3 was the first I played and when I saw that I was freaked out, mainly because of the sexual elements of the sequence.
headkickrodeo
Just Passing Through

Post by headkickrodeo »

I also kinda get the feeling that if you play a lot of SH, you get desensitized as far as nasty shit goes. Or maybe the internet does that? At least if you read 4chan or 7chan once or twice...which does get old really fast.

One part in SH3 that really did freak me out was the event in the hospital storeroom...that was insanely surreal, they did a great job with that part. They really made the otherworld chaotic as all hell in that game. Had more character...the effects and animations on some of the textures were great.
crucifix wrote:
headkickrodeo wrote:If you don't consider fetus vomiting/eating gross...then I'm sorry, but you're banished from society.
i usually forget that scene, actually. perhaps because
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
it was the fetus of the god.
so i didn't feel much of anything... ? except, "shit, i have to kill this (pixel) thing in a few minutes."
tokyohorror
Just Passing Through

Post by tokyohorror »

I wouldn't exactly describe silent hill 3 as gross, but there sure were a few nasty things in the game.
kamui3
Just Passing Through

Post by kamui3 »

TheRedOne wrote:
kamui3 wrote:I didn't think it was gross at all, but I'm not easily disgusted or offended in general. I like seeing nasty crap like that in games. However, I can see how your friend would be grossed out. It did look really nasty when Heather puked up the fetus.
I don't think he even saw that, it was probably the introduction sequence of the closer,, Silent Hill 3 was the first I played and when I saw that I was freaked out, mainly because of the sexual elements of the sequence.
There were sexual themes in the intro? I didn't really notice any.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

kamui3 wrote:
TheRedOne wrote:
There were sexual themes in the intro? I didn't really notice any.
when the closer is on top of the the dead man, moving up and down as it... I guess eats him? I really don't, it killed that man, that's for sure. the scene where Heather gets the handgun at the beginning
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

TheRedOne wrote:when the closer is on top of the the dead man, moving up and down as it... I guess eats him? I really don't, it killed that man, that's for sure. the scene where Heather gets the handgun at the beginning
failing to see any "sexual elements".

it's eating, nothing more.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

crucifix wrote:
TheRedOne wrote:when the closer is on top of the the dead man, moving up and down as it... I guess eats him? I really don't, it killed that man, that's for sure. the scene where Heather gets the handgun at the beginning
failing to see any "sexual elements".

it's eating, nothing more.
it's probably just my sick mind but when I originally witnessed it I was under the impression that the creature may have doing more, oh well
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It's not "moving up and down" on her, either.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

o it was a her, whatever it was just what I got out of that sequence okay, I figured since there are constant references to pregnancy and motherhood that it wouldn't be too odd if the act that causes pregnancy was shone in some bizarre way once or twice in the game, but maybe I'm wrong
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Yes, you are.

If they were going to show anything about pregnancy, though, I'm sure they'd make references to Alessa's particular pregnancy, which isn't your typical procedure.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.