Little Dissapointed in PS2 Version

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

SebasC
Just Passing Through

Little Dissapointed in PS2 Version

Post by SebasC »

I wish that the PS2 version wouldnt have been ported the way it is. Graphics and animation are in no way comparable to for example SH3 & SH4... I love the Silent Hill Origins they could have done better instead of just porting the PSP version straight to PS2 would have been nice to see it polished up a bit.
[center][b] Meet Me On The Sunny Side Of Hell [/b][/center]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

i thought it looked great tbh
it didn't really need anymore polish
GioGio
Historical Society Historian

Post by GioGio »

I can't really compare, I only have the PS2 version and have not yet seen the PSP version.
However, I think the PS2 version graphics are pretty good. I have no complaints, in fact, I have no complaints at all, I really enjoyed playing Origins on the PS2
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I'm with leftshoe and GioGio. The graphics looked just fine to me, and they've never been even a major reason I play the Silent Hill games anyway. I can still play the first game without being distracted by the dated graphics.

I'm just grateful Origins came to the PS2 at all.
SebasC
Just Passing Through

Post by SebasC »

Yeah but i mean seriously compare it to for example Silent Hill 3... characters and stuff just don't look as good as they could be.. I enjoyed silent hill origins and it was pretty dark but still i wasn't satisfied all the way.
[center][b] Meet Me On The Sunny Side Of Hell [/b][/center]
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

I agree with SebasC, altho I haven't played the PSP version, I can still see how the graphics would look better. It slightly looks like Origins is being stretched to fit the screen a bit :/
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

You have to remember that Silent Hill Origins was made by a newer team.
Silent Hill 3, and the others have been created by the classic team.
I think this is why you're having such a problem with the graphics.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Well, it WAS a psp game and they DID port the game fairly quick. I didn't mind, I think it was on par with 2 and really I had no complaints.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

It was a cheap port what do you expect? Upgraded graphics and extra content?
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Detective Cartland wrote:It was a cheap port what do you expect? Upgraded graphics and extra content?
Yes.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Obviously you don't know the developers.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

I don't have any complaints about the graphics. They look good to me.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

You'd have been crazy to think that they'd significantly upgrade the graphics and animations when porting to PS2, that's about on par with remaking the entire game from scratch! You'd honestly have been asking for too much. They'd have to remodel everything, retexture, relight, and re-rig and re-animate all of that!

It was made for the PSP after all, and it's one of the best graphical handheld titles to date! The PSP isn't as powerful as the PS2 nor does UMD have the storage of DVD, but on a smaller screen they can make it look comparable to PS2 games even with lower poly models.

The game was ported to the PS2 because many fans who didn't want to buy a PSP asked for it. But anyway the game is beautiful on PSP!
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

jdnation wrote:You'd have been crazy to think that they'd significantly upgrade the graphics and animations when porting to PS2, that's about on par with remaking the entire game from scratch! You'd honestly have been asking for too much. They'd have to remodel everything, retexture, relight, and re-rig and re-animate all of that!

It was made for the PSP after all, and it's one of the best graphical handheld titles to date! The PSP isn't as powerful as the PS2 nor does UMD have the storage of DVD, but on a smaller screen they can make it look comparable to PS2 games even with lower poly models.

The game was ported to the PS2 because many fans who didn't want to buy a PSP asked for it. But anyway the game is beautiful on PSP!
My thoughts exactly. I was completely blown away with how good everything looked on a handheld, especially the PSP. Sad thing is, it looks a lot better than a few PS2 games...
Nickq2007

Post by Nickq2007 »

As others have said, it's just a port to the ps2... Just a quick port, had it been developed from the ground up for the PS3, I'm sure the graphics would've been on par, if not better than those in SH3/4... Not to mention there would've probably been a pc port... And the other area they were talking about that wasn't implemented. . . forgot what it was.

Either way! Things are less blurry in the ps2 version and things like facial expressions are shown much better, especially with Alessa.
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

I am just glad they did a port at all
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Travis face was changed to the worse in the PS2 version, and they made him look like a drowsy old hot-dog vendor. He looks both better and younger on the PSP. . .

In Homecoming, it looks like the developers are basing Travis model on the PS2 version and not the PSP version, which is a pity. I, who've played 0rigins on the PSP (which it was supposed to be at) - doesn't recognize this "new" Travis at all.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Jonipoon wrote:Travis face was changed to the worse in the PS2 version, and they made him look like a drowsy old hot-dog vendor. He looks both better and younger on the PSP. . .

In Homecoming, it looks like the developers are basing Travis model on the PS2 version and not the PSP version, which is a pity. I, who've played 0rigins on the PSP (which it was supposed to be at) - doesn't recognize this "new" Travis at all.
Well I believe the timeline of Homecoming is a long time after the events of 0rigins, so Travis will look a lot older. Homecoming is probably the newest and latest incarnation of Silent Hill time-wise...
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

spunkytexan wrote:I am just glad they did a port at all
Agreed. I aint played the PSP version cause I don't own a PSP. So likewise I'm just happy to have to finally been given the opportunity to play the game at all.

And to be honest, even when you allow for the fact that 0rigins was developed for PSP, I though it looked just as decent as SH2. It properly does look like Silent Hill in both normal and otherworld. Don't really like FMV, but I must say they were really very well animated.

Perhaps one minor gripe could be that the sound was mixed to seem louder on small PSP speakers and so the soundtrack seems a bit too punchy at times and can get a bit jarring.

But ignoring that, as a port it met all my expectations and then some.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Jonipoon wrote:Travis face was changed to the worse in the PS2 version, and they made him look like a drowsy old hot-dog vendor. He looks both better and younger on the PSP. . .

You must remember that hes going to be old since its at least 2 decades later.