Eddie sees monsters...

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Eddie sees monsters...

Post by Anonymous »

While replaying the game last night, I noticed that Eddie acknowledges seeing the strange monsters in town. This is something I haven't seen being discussed. I guess we can assume the monsters he sees are fat and cancerous, like the Cancer monsters in SH3?

Also. I'm beginning to feel Angela does not see a house.
I believe Angela has an otherworld shift, like James sees. When it shifts, it becomes a burning house.

When Angela is in her submissive apologetic mode, she acknowledges the town exists through her dialogue, but when she becomes controlling, angry, and violent, she seems to shift personalities and gets lost somewhere else. I do believe the otherworld happens when Angela snaps into that violent personality and she begins to see her house.

I'm starting to believe that all there see the mist town. It's not limited to a person's perception...just small events, expectations, and the monsters are what differs. I believe that when Angela's town shifts, her personality shifts. She finds herself in the halls of her old house, and mistakes it for the past. It's like trying to catch that point between dreaming and being awake. Your awareness gets lost. Angela struggles with two personalities, for two different worlds that keep running together. The stress of it eventually kills her.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sounds quite likely. I never 100% bought into the Adversary's 'Orosco house' theory, so you might have something here.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I always assumed he saw zombie like versions of all the people that would pick on him.
as he dwelved further into insanity the monsters came to look more and more like people. That's my theory anyways.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

She also mistakes James for her mother, twice...Aren't both of those times outside of the mist world?
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

When is the other instance she mistakes James for her mother? The only time I can think of is at the end of the game.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Eraserhead
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Eraserhead »

But doesnt Angela say in the burning staircase " For me, its always like this..." :?:
Archaeis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Archaeis »

Yes she does.
[i]The first biological requisite
of the Higher Evolutionaries
is the realization that
natural evolution is complete.[/i]

Artificial evolution has begun.

[i]The first psychological requisite
is the realization that
they do not need gods.[/i]

For they are gods.

[b]Legacy - Of the Higher Evolutionaries[/b]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I thought Eddy only saw, humans. Humans laughing at him, because that was his mind. People making fun of him.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I thought Eddy only saw, humans. Humans laughing at him, because that was his mind. People making fun of him.
I feel the same way... that always seems to be his main concern.. His world was horrible enough for him without the Otherworld.. and maybe the Otherworld holds the freedom that he desires to kill the people he sees making fun of him.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

And actually, on that note, not everyone is unhappy in the Otherworld. Look at Claudia, Dahlia, Vincent... I mean the list goes on and on. But it's not just the religious people who enjoy their world.. my memory fails me but in one of the Silent Hills (SH2??) there is a memo about a patient in the hospital.. it's a doctor saying stuff like "Why in the name of healing must we painfully drag him into our reality?" and on the Otherworld "Furthermore, he is happy there.. it is his reality" or something along those lines.. so who's to say that Eddie was exposed to the Otherworld at all? Like say, his own reality was already nightmareish..
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Don't double-post. Use the EDIT button.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jedah
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jedah »

The Otherworld is what you want to make it to be in a way. If you’re a religious guy who goes to church every Sunday morning, chances are your otherworld is going to be pretty nice place with angels and heaven etc. But if you’re an emotional wreck, chances are your otherworld is going to be just that, a wreck of a place. Finally there are the innocent bystanders like Harry, Cybil, Douglas and Henry who get dragged into another person’s otherworld.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/jedahpr/banner7v2.jpg[/img]
"The Monster inside of me as grown this big"
Archaeis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Archaeis »

Mine would be a very fun place :lol:
[i]The first biological requisite
is the realization that
natural evolution is complete.[/i]

Artificial evolution has begun.

[i]The first psychological requisite
is the realization that
they do not need gods.[/i]

For they are gods.

[b]Legacy - Of the Higher Evolutionaries[/b]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Jedah wrote:The Otherworld is what you want to make it to be in a way. If you’re a religious guy who goes to church every Sunday morning, chances are your otherworld is going to be pretty nice place with angels and heaven etc. But if you’re an emotional wreck, chances are your otherworld is going to be just that, a wreck of a place. Finally there are the innocent bystanders like Harry, Cybil, Douglas and Henry who get dragged into another person’s otherworld.
Churchgoers have as much guilt as anyone else, probably even more. They spend most of their time hating when they know their beliefs say to love what you feel you want to hate. That's very very conflicted, and I doubt their otherworld would be anything pleasant or nice.

And James' otherworld did obey his desires. Perfectly.
agawa
Just Passing Through

Post by agawa »

IX wrote:I thought Eddy only saw, humans. Humans laughing at him, because that was his mind. People making fun of him.
That's the impression that I got. Perhaps distorted humans, yes...but
humans laughing at him.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

And now that I think about it, can we really trust Eddie's word? As he vomitting into the toilet he denies having anything to do with the corpse in the fridge, just like he denies having anything to do with the ones after that--or he fumbles for an excuse, a justification.

Well, after checking the script he DOES say that he saw monsters, which is why he's in the apartments. But it's debatable, if you want to debate it: could he be going along with this idea because of James' question about the red pyramid thing? I don't know if at this point in the story Eddie's character is that malicious to start concocting something like that, though. Initially I think he's mild (for the most part, besides the obvious) and only really starts to distort and become a malice when you see him in the prison. In the beginning he's almost meek and frightened, mopey, even. "She said she was fine by herself! A fatso like ME would just slow her down..." Of course that all changes, and maybe the monsters change, too?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So...the otherworld..is a manifestation of that persons feelings, and the monsters can be a fear of their brought to life. Just in a hideous form right? About the innocent though..like Harry. Are the monsters Allesa's creation? Or Harry's?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Are the monsters Allesa's creation? Or Harry's?
Alessa's. They've always been.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
StinkBomber
Gravedigger

Post by StinkBomber »

saturn beads wrote:And actually, on that note, not everyone is unhappy in the Otherworld. Look at Claudia, Dahlia, Vincent... I mean the list goes on and on. But it's not just the religious people who enjoy their world.. my memory fails me but in one of the Silent Hills (SH2??) there is a memo about a patient in the hospital.. it's a doctor saying stuff like "Why in the name of healing must we painfully drag him into our reality?" and on the Otherworld "Furthermore, he is happy there.. it is his reality" or something along those lines.. so who's to say that Eddie was exposed to the Otherworld at all? Like say, his own reality was already nightmareish..
That really is the key difference between the protagonists and the antagonists, isn't it? They can face reality, no matter how cruel, while the delusional seep into the chaos of Otherworld for release.

So here Eddie was, lost in his delusion of being a mass murderer, when in reality he hadn't killed a single soul. Just shot someone's dog and shot the owner in the knee. He was so scared afterward he ran off to Silent Hill to hide like the coward he really was.

That's when his fun began.

Silent Hill 2 definitley has the theme of Facing Reality involved. Heck, I can see it in 3 and 4 as well, with Claudia's vision of paradise, to avert reality, and Walter's delusion, once again unable to face reality.

I have no doubts things overlapped with James and Eddie, but I just wonder what Eddie's definition of "Monster" really is.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I think Eddie must have his own monsters same that Angela does... The game unfortunately doesn't show us so much about Eddie's Silent Hill besides the fridge room where james kills him... Mayne the shis monsters are creatures like football players? really weirdo dogs?? The only difference can be that Eddiedoesn't get scared, just gets mad and kills them retirninmg to his normal character that denies everything... Same that when james finds him at the prison