A True Ending of Silent Hill 2, & Why

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

A True Ending of Silent Hill 2, & Why

Post by The Adversary »

. . . as true as true can be—or something.

The Resurrection of the Deceased

If there is any indication of there being a "true"—true simply implying “correct,” or most likely due to evidence by material presented in the game—ending, by reviewing information provided in the game, one can conclude that, of the four endings, the Rebirth ending is the most likely.

The crucial element in this is James' reason for being in Silent Hill: Mary. By simply guiding James through hell, a literal Abyss, and through the past, it is evident that he will go to any length to see Mary once more, even so to the point that, with Mary's essence, a "butterfly," Maria, is born from their shared desire.

If the extent of his journey is indicative of anything, then the premise of the belief to defy the laws of life and death isn't entirely far-fetched; far from it, in fact, as it is a ritual evidently not only known of, but still practiced on the sacred grounds of Silent Hill.

In the year 1978, Ernest Baldwin—the former director of Brookhaven Hospital—fathered his daughter, Amy. Seven years later, nearing Ernest's own birthday in November, Amy was hiding her fathers' gift in the attic of their mansion. She inadvertently fell to her death out the window. Her death ruined Ernest's life.

In the 10 years between Amy's death and the events of SILENT HILL 2, Ernest had been assiduously researching a ritual practiced in the region by its settlers and later residents—this of course being the Resurrection of the Dead.

Maria, having just been “born,” finds herself searching the Baldwin Mansion, and, in spite of its emptiness, encounters Ernest's ghost on several occasions. Inside the mansion, Maria locates several items, and, furthermore, indication that the ritual had been thoroughly researched.

The only puzzle in Maria's scenario, Born From A Wish, is the hidden memorial honoring Amy's life. Resting before the marker are two plates: one black, one red. The black, a picture of the Obsidian Goblet; the red, a picture of the book Crimson Ceremony. The third and missing plate displays the final item necessary for the ritual: the white chrism, or later called the Anointing Oil. The third plate, of the Chrism Oil, is found far from where it belongs: at the end of a hallway, in the upstairs of the mansion. This is a simple allegory for Ernest's lack of the White Chrism itself, as it is in the Blue Creek Apartments, far from where his spirit resides. From Ernest's copy of Lost Memories, it is learned that the “mist" refers to the White Chrism, the “night" is the Obsidian Goblet, and “blood" is the Book of Crimson Ceremony.

In knowing that it was Ernest Baldwin's spirit who placed the letter, wrench, hospital director's key, key to the Historical Society, the HOLE and DIE messages, then it's apparent he could also place the ceremonious artifacts for James to find. By doing so, Ernest can then live vicariously through James; James can succeed where Ernest had failed.

As it is known, one cannot immediately achieve the Rebirth ending; not until after having obtained the Maria, Water or Leave endings. Suspiciously, after doing so, the required materials are available for the ritual. This suggests then that Ernest, too, has already obtained the items, otherwise he'd be unable to offer them to James. Ernest already had the Book of Crimson Ceremony and Obsidian Goblet in his possession, but was lacking the White Chrism; this is precisely why he needed Maria's assistance.

Taking this into consideration, we can deduce, after having beaten the game once, the player is to complete the Born From A Wish scenario, so as to abet Ernest in his quest from beyond the grave. By doing so, Ernest can help James.

In some cultures, it is believed a ghost is the spirit of a person whose death was before its business on Earth was finished. This is why Ernest's ghost remains: his business was to revive his daughter. When Maria succeeded in bringing him the final piece, his quest was complete. Unfortunately, it was too late for him to revive Amy. Now, having received the items for the ceremony, and his objective complete, his spirit has been freed from the Earth; this is why when Maria opens the door, nothing, or no one, is there.

While alive, Ernest was a doctor at Brookhaven Hospital, and taking special care of one particular patient, one he had a special connection with: Joseph Barkin.

Joseph, like Ernest, suffered from a severe guilt-complex, who believed he, like Ernest, was responsible for his daughters' death. Again, Ernest feels a special connection with not only Joseph, but also with James for his own guilt in Mary's death. Now that Ernest is free, though, he is finally able to help someone, even if it isn't Joseph, or even himself.

After his liberation, Ernest begins placing the artifacts in locations James can find, and, in two instances, the same places Ernest obtained them to begin with: the White Chrism and the Obsidian Goblet. The White Chrism is placed in the same room Maria found it in, only on a different shelf. The Obsidian Goblet, though, is found in the Historical Society, in a smashed glass display case.

Ernest clearly had access to the Museum, as he's the one who buried the key—and the one who led James to it—after his patient, Joseph, had taken it. When James first enters the Historical Society, on the first play-through, the case is broken, but empty. After having beaten it once, the Obsidian Goblet appears as well as a peculiar sound: the smashing of a glass case. The Silent Hill series is notable for its echoes of the past, especially in instances of sound. This is no different. The Obsidian Goblet was ostensibly on display here when Ernest smashed the case and stole the holy cistern, thus the sound is heard when James enters the room.

Upon obtaining the necessary items for the ceremony, James rows himself to the small island in the middle of Toluca Lake to conjure the god, Xuchilpaba. In doing so, Mary's body is re-animated, and James can be happy again.

In SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM, Frank Sunderland tells Henry that his son and daughter-in-law disappeared in Silent Hill. This has led people to believe James had, instead, died, thus making the Water ending “true." But simply stating he disappeared is not reason enough to conclude that James killed himself. When the ceremony is complete, and Mary's corpse is brought to life, assuming it is, does it really seem logical for him to return to his father with his resurrected wife? Or, for that matter, with Maria, his deceased wife's doppelgänger? Highly unlikely. It is more plausible—and more pragmatic for James—to simply go someplace far away from both Silent Hill and Ashfield; thus Frank's comment concerning James' “disappearance” is likely even without him dying.

But then, how does that explain the Maria ending to not be “true”? Silent Hill 3 does this for the players.

By having a memory card containing a complete save from Silent Hill 2, Heather will find in Heaven's Night a flyer for the "Return of Lady Maria.” Lady Maria is, of course, Silent Hill 2's Maria; Mary's doppelgänger. As already stated, James would unlikely return home with Maria, so, by leaving Maria in Silent Hill—while he leaves with his true desire, Mary—she finds herself returning to her “birthplace," Heaven's Night, with a new hair color, and a new job.

So, in as simple a conclusion as possible, it is highly likely—and, in the context of the series' religious connotations, implications and influences, the most rewarding—that the Rebirth ending is the “true" ending; as true as the expression is applicable. One can debate that each ending has its faults, but this seems the most rewarding in regards to the game's later references to the ceremony, the cult, and the town's history.

*edited for formatting — 30 October, 2022
Last edited by The Adversary on 31 Oct 2022, edited 6 times in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Archaeis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Archaeis »

Word.
[i]The first biological requisite
of the Higher Evolutionaries
is the realization that
natural evolution is complete.[/i]

Artificial evolution has begun.

[i]The first psychological requisite
of the Higher Evolutionaries
is the realization that
they do not need gods.[/i]

For they are gods.

[b]Legacy - Of the Higher Evolutionaries[/b]
Glazarus
Historical Society Historian

Post by Glazarus »

The first time you play through, the rebirth ending isn't avalible.
If you think about the other games, they all wake up in the beginning.
This may mean that if Silent Hill isn't satisfied with the outcome, they may wake you up, doing it all over again to get another ending.

I can't really explain why James isn't "waking" up in the beginning, but one thing is certain. The rebirth ending isn't the "first" ending. I'm starting to believe that the Maria ending is the first and Rebirth is the second. James is back at the beginning in the Maria ending. Now, it all starts again with the rebirth things avalible.
There are many things in the game that jumps around, not only space, but also time. Silent Hill as we see it every time, is the unreality, otherworld and at some points other levels, so logic is relative to every viewer depending on what the Gods want, or in some cases, what the person who's nightmarish delusions is controlling the current level, wants.

Now, what do you think about the "first" ending... does "Maria" seems right, or may it be any other?

As for James and Mary just disapearing, I think it is odd for him not to even call or tell Frank that he is alive. I can understand why they went far away, but the riding into the sunset doesn't really fit. A normal human being wouldn't just run of not telling his own father he is at least alright. I don't mean that he says where they are going, just that they are alright and don't worry.

Now, if you think about how Silent Hill is existing in "layers" of reality. I think Ernest is able to walk in his reality while James is existing in his.
Like Alessa could be viewed between different realities in SH1, Maria can talk to Ernest between two level of realities. I'm not so certain of the "Ernest gets freed from this earth" when Maria delivers the white chrism.
Ernest may be able to visit places in his reality that helps him put things out for James, but as all others, he may not be able to visit all places, because he is in another level of reality. Like the "door that openes in nightmares". James can't go through it until he is in another level of reality.
The explaination for this is in your own theory about Angela. If she sees Silent Hill as a house, she is still able to appear at different places in James levels, without "leaving the house".

I'm just disagreeing with a couple of things, while I agree with the overall theory, good work as ever Tommy...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The rebirth ending isn't the "first" ending.
I never said it was. In fact, it's known that it can't be. What I brought up was that the intention is to play the game, Letters From Silent Heaven, then Born From A Wish, then Letters From Silent Heaven again to receive the Rebirth ending.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Yeah, didn't mean to say that you were wrong about it though...
Just suggested us to find the true ending of the first "Letter from SH".
I'd say Maria, what do you think about that?

I also read that Gans is putting these "level of realities" in his movie and that it will be a big thing in it. That's a good thing to hear...

Also, these things can be, to a limit, explained by quantum mechanics and string/membrane physic theories. I just love Silent Hill more every day :mrgreen:
I'm also writing on a screenplay for a movie that revolves around different layers of reality. Gotta love the membranes of universe :D
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Amazing theory, Adversary.
plastique-nouveau
Hope House Careworker

Post by plastique-nouveau »

Kudos to TA for that intriguing theory! I believe the true endings could either be the 'rebirth' or 'In Water'.

If SH4 somewhat follows through, Frank Sunderland mentions that his son and daughter in law went missing there a few years back.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/plastique-nouveau/pn_sig_nurse1.jpg[/img]
Ø//+
[color=blue][b]Love is just a bloodsport.[/b][/color]
Stained Purgatorial Alter

Post by Stained Purgatorial Alter »

I think it's the Maria ending which indicates that James has to go through that torture again and again but he just keeps forgetting it.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Heather's_Guy14 wrote:I think it's the Maria ending which indicates that James has to go through that torture again and again but he just keeps forgetting it.
That's unlikely as in reality, Maria does not exist - at least not life as know it.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Her several deaths/resurrections testify to that.
Gotta say though, the Maria ending's my favourite - so black, so thick with suffering . . .

Interesting, Tom. Can't say I agree with it all, but some interesting readin' - thanks.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

The Maria ending could be the First ending, as I said before... the maria scenario is the second, and Rebirth the true, last ending.
Fatal_Sims
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: The True Ending of Silent Hill:

Post by Fatal_Sims »

the Adversary wrote:...as true as true can be.

The Resurrection of the Deceased

If there is any indication of there being a “true”—true simply implying “correct,” or most likely due to evidence by material presented in the game—ending, by reviewing information provided in the game, one can conclude that, of the four endings, the Rebirth ending is the most likely and most auspicious.

The crucial element in this is James’ reason for being in Silent Hill: Mary. By simply guiding James through a capacious hell, a literal Abyss, and even the past, it is evident that he will go to any length to see Mary once more; even so to the point that, with Mary’s essence, a “butterfly”(1) is born from their communal desire.

If the extent of his journey is indicative of anything, then the premise of the belief to defy the laws of life and death isn’t entirely far-fetched; far from it, in fact, as it is a ritual that is evidently not only known of, but still practiced on the sacred grounds of Silent Hill.

In the year 1977 (2), Ernest Baldwin—the former director of Brookhaven Hospital (3)—and his unnamed wife gave birth to a daughter: Amy. Seven years later—nearing Ernest’s own birthday in November—Amy was hiding her fathers’ gift in the attic of their mansion. She inadvertently fell out of the window, dying immediately. Her death, in 1984, ruined Ernest’s life, resulting in his reclusion.

In the ten years between Amy’s death and the events of Silent Hill 2, Ernest had been assiduously researching a ritual that had been practiced in this region by its settlers and later residents: this of course being the Resurrection of the Dead.

Maria, having just been “born,” finds herself searching the Baldwin Mansion, and, despite its emptiness, encounters Ernest’s ghost on several occasions. Inside the Mansion, Maria locates several peculiar items, and furthermore, indication that the ritual had been thoroughly researched.

The only puzzle in Maria’s scenario, Born From A Wish, is the hidden headstone honoring Amy’s life. Resting before the marker are two plates: one black, one red. The black, a picture of—what is learned later to be—the Obsidian Goblet; the red, a picture of the Book of Crimson Ceremony. The third and missing plate displays the third item mandatory for the ritual’s success: The Chrism Oil, or later called the Anointing Oil. (According to Silent Hill 2’s Rebirth ending, there is a fourth article needed—the Book of Lost Memories—but, considering this is just a reference book of sorts, it is not necessary for the rituals success. What is mandatory, however, is the Obsidian Goblet, White Chrism, and Book of Crimson Ceremony.)

The third plate—the Chrism Oil—is found far from where it belongs: at the end of a hallway, in the upstairs of the mansion. This is a simple allegory for Ernest’s lack of the White Chrism itself, as it is in the Blue Creek Apartments, far from where his spirit resides.

From Ernest’s copy of Lost Memories, it is learned that the “mist” is in lieu of the White Chrism, the “night” is the Obsidian Goblet, and “blood” is the Book of Crimson Ceremony. One can safely assume that these articles are rare and priceless artifacts, and that they—minus the Chrism Oil—are the only ones in existence. The question then is, how do both Ernest and James obtain them?

In knowing that it was Ernest Baldwin’s spirit who had placed the letter, wrench, hospital director’s key, key to the Historical Society, the HOLE and DIE messages, then it’s apparent that he could also place the ceremonious artifacts for James to find. By doing so, Ernest can then live vicariously through James; James can succeed where Ernest had failed.

As it is known, one cannot immediately achieve the Rebirth ending; not until after having obtained the Maria, Water or Leave endings. Suspiciously, after doing so, the required materials are available for the ritual. This suggests then that Ernest, too, has already obtained the items, lest he’d be unable to offer them to James. Ernest already had the Book of Crimson Ceremony and Obsidian Goblet in his possession, but was lacking the White Chrism; this is precisely why he needed Maria’s assistance.

Taking this simple fact into consideration, it is safe to assume that—after having beaten the game once—the player is to complete the Born From A Wish scenario, so as to abet Ernest in his quest from beyond the grave. By doing so, Ernest can then help James.

It is believed that the existence of a ghost is merely of a person whose death was before its “business on Earth was finished.” This is precisely why Ernest’s ghost remains: His business was to revive his daughter. When Maria succeeded in bringing him the final artifact, his quest was complete. Unfortunately, it was too late for him to revive Amy. Now, having received the items for the ceremony, and his objective complete, his spirit has been freed from the Earth; this is why when Maria opens the door, nothing, or no one, is there.

While alive, Ernest was a doctor at Brookhaven Hospital, and taking special care of one particular patient; one he had a special connection with: Joseph Barkin.

Joseph, like Ernest, suffered from a severe guilt-complex, believing that he, like Ernest, was responsible for his daughters’ death. Again, Ernest feels a special relation with not only Joseph, but also with James for his own guilt in Mary’s death. Now that Ernest is free, though, he is finally able to help someone, even if it isn’t Joseph, or even himself.

After his liberation, Ernest begins placing the artifacts in locations James can easily find, and, in two instances, the same places Ernest obtained them to begin with: The White Chrism and the Obsidian Goblet. The White Chrism is placed within the same room Maria found it in, only on a different shelf. The Obsidian Goblet, though, is found in the Historical Society, in a smashed glass display case.

Ernest clearly had access to the Museum, as he’s the one who buried the key—and the one who led James to it—after his patient, Joseph, had “stolen” it. When James first enters the Historical Society, on the first play-through, the case is broken, but empty. After having beaten it once, the Obsidian Goblet appears as well as a peculiar sound: the smashing of a glass case.

The Silent Hill series has a history of peculiar sounds presenting themselves oftentimes as remembrances of past events; this is no different. The Obsidian Goblet was likely on display here when Ernest smashed the case and stole the holy cistern, thus the sound is heard when James enters the room.

Upon obtaining the necessary items for the ceremony, James rows himself to the small island in the middle of Toluca Lake to summon the red god, Xuchilpaba/bara. (The variation in the god’s name is easily explained by a book in the Chapel, visited by Heather. It states that “no religion remains unchanged,” and that its structure can easily alter over the years. In this instance, the name of this deity is slightly modified.) In doing so, Mary’s body—which can be seen in the boat—is re-animated, and James can be happy again.

In Silent Hill 4, Frank Sunderland tells Henry that his son and daughter-in-law disappeared in Silent Hill. This has led people to believe that James has, instead, died, thus making the Water ending “true.” But simply stating he disappeared is not reason enough to conclude that James killed himself. When the ceremony is complete, and Mary’s corpse is brought to life, does it truly seem logical for him to return to his father with his resurrected wife? Or, for that matter, with Maria, his deceased wife’s doppelganger? Highly unlikely. It is more plausible—and more pragmatic for James—to simply go someplace far away from both Silent Hill and Ashfield; thus Frank’s rhetoric concerning James’ “disappearance” is likely even without him dying.

But then, how does that explain the Maria ending to not be “true”? Silent Hill 3 does this for the players.

By having a memory card containing a complete save from Silent Hill 2, Heather will find in Heaven’s Night a flyer for the “Return of Lady Maria.” Lady Maria is, of course, Silent Hill 2’s Maria; Mary’s doppelganger. As already stated, James would unlikely return home with Maria, so, by leaving Maria in Silent Hill—while he leaves with his true desire, Mary—she finds herself returning to her “birthplace,” Heaven’s Night, with a new hair color, and a new job.

So, in as simple a conclusion as possible, it is highly likely—and, in the context of the series’ religious connotations, implications and influences, the most rewarding—that the Rebirth ending is the “true” ending; as true as the expression is applicable. One can debate that each ending has its faults and advantages, but this seems the most propitious in regards to the games later references to the ceremony, to the cult, and to the town’s history.

(1). see Butterfly explanation
(2). see the MUSEUM natural history and art of the SEVEN HOUSES’ timeline
(3). see Ernest Baldwin as the former Director of Brookhaven Hospital
I agree. But Maria is actually real or we can say Maria is based on Maria but a little different. The poster in Sh3 suggests that like the Pyramid Head painting (which brought life to PH in James' delusion) James has seen Maria. Plus, the poster in the bathroom is Maria and beneath are the words, "Heaven's Night". This poster has a connection to the poster in SH3 and really tells that Maria is real, but is made different... or more of Mary in James' delusion.

This poster also confirms the timeline that SH2 happens before SH3. During the events of SH2, Maria must have left the bar to do something (or perhaps she was sick because the town was using her to complete the delusion of James.) and returned as soon as the events of Silent Hill 3 starts. Perhaps the people loved her there, and there was no reason for James not to visit a performance of Maria. AFterall, he hated Mary.

Do you get my point?
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Maria is born from James's wish of seeing his wife. The entity in "control" of her seems to be Valtiel... don't know if I got that right, but it was a long time I digged into who she really is.

Anyway, Tommy, do you think it is a coincidence that Maria gets black hair when she "returns" to Heavens night? (Like she looks on the flyer in SH3).
I mean, it seems that womans close to the core of Silent Hill, gets black hair the closer they are. If she returns to Silent Hill after James left with Mary, then the "black hair" may have some deeper meaning.
Or... i'm just talking shit here... :D

I realize Maria was not real throughout the events of Silent Hill 2. Which just fits into my theory of the ending being MAria. She disappeared and James' memory of the events as well, forgetting he did that. All he remembers is getting Mary's letter and is now driving to Silent Hill to find her. You don't have to agree, but that's what I'm sticking to.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

There are so many things that makes your theory wrong, Heathers_Guy...

May it be wrong, but that's just my thought as I stated before. There's really no way of knowing cause everyone has their own view of things, no one is wrong in my opinion.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

There are things in the game that points to a theory that is the "main" theory.
When you find that, you have a load of questions still unanswered, but there are too many things that points into a certain direction.

To just say it "all" is relative, isn't exactly right.
[ m a r i a ]
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by [ m a r i a ] »

I always thought of the Leave ending as the 'true' one, but it all depends on how you look at it, I guess. That one just seemed to fit with everything the best in my mind.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I agree with you Maria,I thought that the Leave ending was the true ending,but then I got the Maria ending and that also seems to be the true ending.I think either could work.Just like the bad or the good ending could be true for sh1.
Caim

Post by Caim »

I still say the true ending of Silent Hill 2 is what you want it to be.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
Fatal_Sims
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fatal_Sims »

Glazarus wrote:Maria is born from James's wish of seeing his wife. The entity in "control" of her seems to be Valtiel... don't know if I got that right, but it was a long time I digged into who she really is.
Yes... It is either Valtiel or somebody else from the cult. But Maria is actually based on a real person... the real person is just different though.

The Maria in the game that we see is an illusion but I can infer that from the posters Maria (Delusion) is based on a Bar Dancer. Though this is just a theory.