Death caused by...*Spoilers, duh!*...with an ending theory!

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

The question is, is Travis actually a murderer, or does he just wind up thinking he is because his mind snapped from all the killing he did? And if he is a murderer, who did he kill and when? He's obviously very adept at violence, but he's caring and compassionate, toward little Alessa, but also toward animals and (possibly) monsters. He doesn't seem to fit the serial killer profile.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Harrys_Girl wrote:Travis is suicidal... and homicidal... whatever. I never liked the "Bad" ending of Origins. It felt like they just threw it in at the last minute as an ending you ca get without needing some special hat dance. I got the bad ending my second playthrough w/o the assistance of a walkthrough.

I started a thread....somewhere in here about the link of these photos and the united answer I got was, "They are all ways to commit suicide." To which I asked, "Why those ways? And why those people?" If you think about it Nero, Cleopatra, possibly Monroe, are all famouse people, but the SHOTGUN death is not linked to anyone famous. the BROKEN HEART is only famous w/in Travis' world. His father is key part of Travis' life. But what of the SHOTGUN death?
Yes, but isn't that the purpose of all "bad" endings in the Silent Hill franchise?
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

QUOTE: If you ask me, I think the Broken Heart photo seems alittle out of place since the other ones involve famous suicides.

If you asked little Travis, it would fit right in, since his dad was very important to him.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

But Travis isn't little anymore.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

But it IS an extract from his memories, and he was little when Daddy died.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

There's a theory in psychology that all suicidal individuals actually harbor homicidal desires against at least one person, and that their suicidal ideation is borne from the individual's inability to bring themselves to direct their rage against other people. Thus, to borrow a line from Dr. Melfi on "The Sopranos," that rage is turned inwards.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

How can these be from his memory?
When he was little i'm sure he didn't even know half of these people.
Kurt Cobain.. Marilyn Monroe?
Seriously, who even took these pictures? And added the description?
It doesn't seem like little Travis would.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm saying only the "Heart" picture related to his father was from his early memory, then juxtaposed with his later memory. Linear time doesn't exist in the Otherworld or the human mind.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I more think that suicidal people and homicidal people are more likely to have a capacity for violence, and/or a limited respect for human life.
Utsushimi

Post by Utsushimi »

The Silent Executioner wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Except White Claudia isn't a powdered drug. It usually takes the form of a liquid.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Then what was the white powder that Kaufman and Lisa were cutting/snorting in the motel room?
the powder that was in the room is White Claudia......
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^ No, the powder in the room, is white powder. It is not called anything by any of the people in the room: Kaufman, Lisa or Travis.

Even if it was the drug derived from White Claudia, it is called PTV. White Claudia is the name of a plant, not a drug.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Death caused by...*Spoilers, duh!*...with an ending theo

Post by stopped_clock »

I don't think that any of the photos have a direct link to Travis, they are merely references to suicide which is played on heavily throughout the motel. I'd say that the broken heart could be a reference to Lucretia (since that's the name of one of the suites) who stabbed herself in the heart after being raped.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before, but what if those pictures are nothing to do with Travis? Instead they relate to his father, and his final thoughts? He was clearly suicidal. His thoughts might have lingered and been imprinted on the otherworld. When Travis arrived, because of his connection to his father, he was able to find the photos; the thoughts given physical form? /crackpot theory
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^I thought those pictures were related to Richard Grady as well.
SHF

Post by SHF »

it represents travis' guilt 4 the death of his parents and death in general. hes restrained by his mind bcuz he hasn coped with his past
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

To the original post...

I find it hard to believe that Travis, James, and Heather were all taking White Claudia :|
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Or that White Claudia can cause reincarnation. :D
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Re:

Post by Trauma_ »

The Silent Executioner wrote:He could have inherited the same psychological problems from his mom perhaps? Then he thought that he could change worlds by touching mirrors because its what his mom "could do." Judging from the childs pictures in the observation room he had been in at least the hall waiting for his father. She had attacked him so he made demonized pictures of her while in waiting.
I know this thread is exceedingly old but I have something to point out here. Most serious psychological problems such as schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and the like are in no way hereditary. Not in this universe or any other. They're usually the result of some kind of severe trauma not unlike what Travis went through, which would explain his insomnia.

I've taken a few psychology classes while I was in high school and while they have found a link for stuff like depression or alchoholism, this doesn't neccesarily make it so that it will show up in EVERY family member. Just that certain people are more prone to become addicted to alchohol due to other genetic traits such as how their liver functions and such. It's not embedded in their DNA like brown hair, or blue eyes would be.

Also it's been explicitly stated numerous times before that it could have been something else Kauffman was snorting but it's known that Lisa was a heavy user of it. So this is still up for speculation

I'm going to go a little OT with this but PTV and real life drugs are comparable in a few ways.

A lot of drug dealers tend not to use their own product in case they OD from mixing the chemicals wrong. I've seen a lot of stuff like this go down, and most dealers i've known never EVER used their own product. This is especially important with drugs like heroin where you can turn your neighborhood into the next Chrenobyl if you get the mix wrong because it is an incredibly unstable drug, though it really depends on the purity of it. Heroin and PTV are similar in a few ways, they're both derived from a plant- Heroin is derived from Opium which is derived from the seeds of the poppy of that name. PTV is derived from the plant White Claudia, which had hallucinogenic seeds. So i'm assuming that if the White Claudia plant is anything like the common Opium Poppy that the process for making the drugs would be similar. Though I might be wrong
I'll refer to this site when I talk about the manufacturing of heroin even though I've had some experience with people that have dealt it and manufactured it to a certain extent.
(http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.18 ... inmfg.html)
III. Heroin manufacture

The complete conversion of raw opium to pure heroin hydrochloride (diacetylmorphine HCl) may be summarized as follows:

1. Purification of raw opium -->
2. extraction/purification of morphine from opium -->
3. conversion of morphine to heroin base -->
4. purification of heroin base and conversion to hydrochloride salt.

After step 4, diluents and adulterants may be added either by the manufacturer or by parties further along the distribution chain. Also, shortcuts may be taken at steps 2, 3 and 4, and steps 2 and 4 may be eliminated altogether. The process delineated in this section is that observed in Southeast Asia (5), designed to result in nearly pure diacetylmorphine HCl. A brief discussion of how the aforementioned shortcuts bear on the properties of heroin originating from other regions and comments on diluents and adulterants commonly found in seized samples will follow.
1.) Purification of opium.

Raw opium collected from the poppy as described above is placed in an open cooking pot of boiling water. This should dissolve all of the alkaloids in the opium, while solid plant material, soil, twigs, etc. remain undissolved and float to the top of the solution. Solid impurities are scooped out or filtered by straining the mixture though cheesecloth or burlap. The liquid is then re-heated over a low flame, evaporating the water to leave behind a thick, dark paste, which is then dried in the sun. The opium left behind has a putty-like consistency and is generally about 20% lighter (20% more pure) than the raw material. At this point the product may be exported for smoking or eating or consumed locally. This process may be carried out by farmers before shipping for consumption or further processing, or the raw opium may be transported to heroin manufacturing sites where the preparation is undertaken on a larger scale.
2.) Extraction of morphine.

Processed opium is stirred in large drum of boiling water until it has completely dissolved. Slaked lime (calium hydroxide), at about one-fifth the mass of opium (8), (or a fertilzer with a high lime content) is added to the solution. This has the effect of converting morphine, insoluble in cool water, into the soluble salt, calcium morphenate. For the most part, the other alkaloids do not react, and when the mixture is cooled, the morphenate remains in solution, while the other chemicals settle to form a brown sludge at the bottom of the container. (Codeine is somewhat soluble in water and some amount is likely to remain in solution). The calcium morphenate solution is scooped or poured from the drum and filtered and pressed through burlap rice sacks or some other makeshift filtration apparatus. The filtered solution is re-heated, but not boiled, in cooking pots to which ammonium chloride is added at about one-fourth the mass of opium processed (8). After the pH of the solution reaches 8 or 9 it is cooled. Within a few hours, morphine base and any remaining codeine precipitate out of solution and settle to the bottom of the pot. The solution is then poured off through cloth filters, leaving chunks of morphine base on the cloth, which are squeezed dry and set aside to dry further in the sun. The dried crude morphine base is a coffee-colored powder. (A more scrupulous chemist might use ether in the filtration to dissolve any residual codeine out of the base mixture, but this is not reported in accounts of illicit manufacture).

From this point, some manufacturers may proceed directly to step 3. Ideally, however, the crude morphine base is purified by dissolution in dilute hydrochloric (or sufuric) acid, forming a solution of morphine hydrochloride (or sulfate). Activated charcoal is added, and the solution is heated and filtered hot through a fine cloth. The filtration is repeated several times, removing the charcoal and colored impurities with it. The filtrate may be dried in the sun to leave behind morphine hydrochloride, a fine white powder if purification is complete, which may be pressed into 1 kg bricks and transferred for further processing at a remote site. Alternatively, ammonium hydroxide may be added to the morphine HCl solution (or re-dissolved morphine HCl), precipitating morphine base, filtered and dried to form a granular solid (8).
3.) Conversion of morphine to heroin base.

The key chemical used in the acetylation of morphine to form heroin is acetic anhydride, a colorless, highly combustible liquid with a strong pickle-like odor. Though internationally controlled as a heroin precursor, acetic anhydride also used to synthesize aspirin and chemicals for leather tanning and photography. Morphine hydrochloride or morphine base is mixed with acetic anhydride at about three-times the mass of the former in a stainless steel or enamel pot. The pot lid is tied or clamped on with a damp towel for a gasket (a makeshift reflux apparatus), and the mixture is heated at 85 degrees Celsius (185 degrees F), avoiding boiling. The cooking proceeds for about 5 hours until all the morphine has dissolved. The pot is opened, and the mixture -- now a solution of water, acetic acid, and diacetylmorphine (heroin) -- is allowed to cool. Water is added to the mixture at three-times the volume of acetic anhydride, and the mixture is stirred. (Optionally, a small amount of chloroform is added. The mixture is allowed to stand for 20 minutes. The chloroform dissolves colored impurities and settles to the bottom of the pot as a red, greasy liquid, and the water layer is carefully poured off.) Activated charcoal is added to the mixture, absorbing solid impurities, which are filtered out repeatedly until the solution is clear. Approximately 2.2 kilograms of sodium carbonate (soda ash) per kilogram of morphine are dissolved in hot water and added solwly to the mixture until effervescence stops, precipitating solid heroin base. Heroin base is filtered with a fine cloth, set aside and heated until dry. The heroin base should be a granular, white powder at this point. If still colored (beige or light brown), the base may be re-dissolved in dilute hydrochloric or citric acid (8), treated with charcoal again, re-precipitated and dried. Alternatively, in some manufacturing regions, the incompletely purified base may be packed and transported for sale (a practice probably typical in Southwest Asia). About 700 grams of heroin base will be produced from each kilogram of morphine.

Optionally, skilled heroin chemists may further purify the base by dissolving it in twice its mass of boiling ethyl alcohol, filtering the solution through a heated funnel into a heated flask. This removes traces of sodium carbonate remaining in the base. The flask is submerged in an ice bath, where it is transformed into a thick white cream. The substance is placed in a pan in a refrigerator with a fan set to blow across the pan to slowly evaporate the alcohol . The paste crystallizes after several hours and is then vacuum filtered. The product, referred to as alcohol morphine base, is re-crystallized heroin base.
4.) Conversion of heroin base to heroin hydrochloride.

For each kilogram of heroin base (or re-crystallized heroin base), 6.6 liters of of ethyl alcohol, 6.6 liters of ether, and 225 milliliters of concentrated hydrochloric acid are measured out. The base is dissolved by heating with one-third of the alcohol and one half of the acid. Another one-third of the acid is stirred in. Next, the remaining acid is added slowly, dropwise, until the product is completely converted to the hydrochloride salt. This result may be confirmed either by observing that a drop of solution evaporates on a glass plate leaving no cloudy residue or by placing a drop of solution on Congo red paper, observing it turn the paper blue. Once the conversion is complete, the remaining alcohol is stirred in. Then half of the ether is added, and the mixture is allowed to stand for 15 minutes. As soon as crystals begin to form in the solution, the remaining ether is added at once, stirred, and the the vessel is covered. The mixture becomes nearly solid after an hour. It is then filtered, and the solids are collected on clean filter paper. Wrapped in the paper, the solid is dried on a wooden tray, usually over lime rock, and dried in the sun. The fully dried product, heroin hydrochloride, is a fine white powder, ready for packing and shipping.
Now back to my point, if PTV is anything like heroin, it would have to be heated/melted and then injected, although snorting and smoking are both options. I highly doubt that the gas that was shot at Travis was PTV as they would not be able to create enough vapor just by burning/smokinng a ton of PTV, and there's absolutely no way it was powder because it would have settled a lot faster and wouldnt have been able to have been shot with as much momentum.

There was a case of 2 men literally asphyxiated to death for throwing chocolate powder around in an enclosed room, the powder completely filled the air but that's only because there was more and more filling the air and a ton of movement making it harder for it to settle. But if you look at the room at the end of the game that the ritual is taking place in it's a pretty expansive space and to shoot out enough PTV to knock Travis out, you'd have to fill the room with it causing the other members of The Order to be knocked out as well. It essentially the same principal.

So my point is, are you sure it wasn't just gas they shot at Travis and they just made it visible for dramatic effect?
Last edited by Trauma_ on 15 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Trauma is an awesome poster. This has been proven.
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

If that wasn't sarcasm thanks a lot heh.